LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

opinions on best place for a short block?

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2016, 12:58 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default opinions on best place for a short block?

hey fellas its been awhile!

my bottom end is hurting and I'm looking to replace it. I'm older now so the car aint my main priority any more so am trying not to break the bank. I'd be happy with a 357 that safely redlines at 6500 but if theres decent 383's out there for not much more I'd pony up.

Golen is about 90mins from me but I'm not sure if they offer stock stroke stuff, and know that every once and a awhile some one has a bed experience.

VRE offers stock stroke packages but I'm not sure how they're doing these days, I know last time I was always active there was some real problems going on with them.

so just looking for thoughts, opinions or other suggestions? no power adders atm but maybe some eventually n2o down the road, looking for 11.5, possibly 12:1cr cause I have the means to keep it cool. basics in sig, any other questions ask away, thanks guy
Old 04-15-2016, 01:16 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

I bought a 383 4 bolt main forged bottom end short block from Golen back in 2005. Still running strong.

They should be able to provide a 355 if that is what you want.

Another source, IMHO the best, is Karl Ellwein at ERE. He is a one man one motor at a time shop who really knows the LT1 and could build you anything you want

http://www.ellweinengines.com/
Old 04-15-2016, 03:10 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 88 Likes on 62 Posts

I had one of the bad eagle stroker cranks break on me. The short block was bought from Golen back when they still offered a lifetime warranty. Golen honored the warranty TEN years later. Have not had a problem with my new short block. Runs strong!
Old 04-16-2016, 09:30 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Another vote for Karl Ellwein. No doubt it will be done right if you send it to him. I really want him to do mine, but the $800 shipping bill is a little tough to swallow. I would say his prices are competitive with everyone else especially when you consider the attention to detail you are getting. Wish he was closer to me!

Quick Reply: opinions on best place for a short block?