LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Help me choose valvetrain parts

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2016, 12:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Default Help me choose valvetrain parts

I have cc305 cam, and cc850 lifters. I have heard this cam isnt aggressive and shouldnt be hard on valvetrain parts.
You guys have persuaded me to go NSA !!!!!

I need 7/16 arp rocker studs that i know. Guide plates i need but dont want to spend $60 for isky adjustable. Also i know i need hardened pushrods. Also i dont need parts to grow into, im sticking with this cam.

Which springs and rockers should i get with this cam? I want this cam and valvetrain to last at least 30-50k miles of driving. Im not going to rod the **** out of the motor constantly so im hoping it can still be kind of a daily driver still. Thanks for the help so far.
Old 04-30-2016, 09:04 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Comp Cams recommends either the 915 or 918 beehives for this cam. I would venture to guess that the 918's would last longer as they are a bit stronger then the 915 springs...

I ran an the alex parts drop in spring kit on my car with a cc304 and they handled it just fine, there probably more then enough for the cc305.

I would suggest getting a good set of rockers, you get what you pay for in that department. Cheap ones are known to have a higher failure rate. Comp cams, Scorpion, Lunati, Crane... they all make good rockers.

I run trickflow guide plates in my firebird... they were a few bucks less then the isky's but the trickflows are not adjustable. http://www.summitracing.com/parts/tf...23-8/overview/
Old 04-30-2016, 10:22 PM
Teching In

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a set of >5000mile used Alex springs for sale if interested. Bought for my stock heads/hotcam build. Now I'm gonna be upgrading to le2/custom grind and don't need them. They are off and ready to ship. Retainers locks and all. PM if interested.
Old 05-01-2016, 10:54 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 94zpearce
I have a set of >5000mile used Alex springs for sale if interested. Bought for my stock heads/hotcam build. Now I'm gonna be upgrading to le2/custom grind and don't need them. They are off and ready to ship. Retainers locks and all. PM if interested.
if op isnt intereste i may be...lmk if he passes..
Old 05-02-2016, 12:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

You can have them im not interested in the springs platinum performance. I want new parts.
Old 05-02-2016, 11:24 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

good for Platinum...those would have worked well for you and are often hard to get.

but if you want new...these are very good springs. I Got mine from Lloyd Elliott

https://www.lunatipower.com/News.aspx?id=113

RR

http://www.skipwhiteperformance.com/...x?Item=1605-16
Old 05-02-2016, 01:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks for the links! That is a great price on those comp roller rockers.
Old 05-02-2016, 02:13 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

yeah Skip White has good $ on them.

My $.02 on the guide plates is ISKY's as what I found, as did many others, is fixed guide plates don't allow dead nuts L-R alignment "individually" of intake & exhaust valve. One would be centered and the other off some so it winds up being a compromise on single piece guide plates. You start side loading a valve and the guides will wear on that one valve. Yeah they take a little more patience but if you just tighten the RR stud lose allowing you to move each side until both RR are dead nuts centered L-R on valve tip then tighten to TQ you are good. You "may" need to grind some of the "fingers" off a few of them to bring them closer if needed. Each cyl will be slightly different. I did not "tack weld" mine together and they have been in for 10 years now. Tack welding the two sides together just makes it easier if you ever took them off for some reason and you would not have to re-align them again putting them back on the same position as you removed them.

Trick Flow PR are what I have. .080 wall 5/16" but several brands to chose from. Without any head or block work you likely are good with 7.200"...but most would agree a check would be good first before ordering.

I use this Proform tool, makes it very simple to check PR length or you can use the conventional adjustable rod one

http://www.jegs.com/i/Proform/778/66...Feop0wodnYwKPw
Attached Thumbnails Help me choose valvetrain parts-pr-check-tool-77866790.jpg  
Old 05-02-2016, 11:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Great info ******. Sounds like iskys are the way to go. Those trick flow pushrods will work good with the comp 850 lifters that i have ? I was thinking i could go with trick flow dual springs to match the pushrods. And maybe the trick flow/summit roller rockers, same rockers? Those comp rr's sure look nice though. This will be my first top end build with a v8. So trying to gather lots of info!

Quick Reply: Help me choose valvetrain parts