LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Mystery oil leak

Old 05-13-2016, 01:26 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mystery oil leak

Ok Y'all i need some advice. I have a 95 z28 m6 mac mids magnaflow cat back and roller rockers. Its had a bit of an oil leak since i bought it. I always chalked it up to the common intake manifold leak so when I installed all of my bolt ons i pulled the intake and resealed it with high temp rtv and let it sit for 2 days. I've checked it since and still dry. I have since developed a pretty bad leak somewhere around the back of the block it drips a pretty significant puddle between the rear of the oil pan and front of the transmission. Its at the point when i pull into the driveway it leave a a trail of drips down the drive way. Its leaks for a bit after i turn it off. I think its the rear main just wanted to get some opinions from y'all that have been there and done that before i pull then transmission out.
Old 05-13-2016, 09:27 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

if you have confirmed the rear intake is not leaking and the valve cover gasket the likely issue you note is RMS.

check the oil sensor fitting also to make sure leak is not from that fitting on rear of motor.

My $.02 is go with the rubber vs Teflon RMS
Old 05-14-2016, 02:14 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^^^ This. Also, if your car is an auto, check to see its not leaking where the oil filter is. My old auto leaked like yours and I verified it wasn't the intake or valve cover so I I SWORE it had a RMS leak, so 3000 miles later during an oil/filter change I noticed the filter was kinda loose and soaked in oil, it had been leaking at the filter mating surface and running down the bellhousing making it look like a RMS leak. so I made sure and really cleaned off the mating surface and tightened the filter properly and boom! no more leak but if not... Listen to the above post!
Old 05-14-2016, 07:02 PM
Teching In

Thanks everyone for the answers. Havent had the time to really look around but I verified it wasnt the valve covers and oil sending unit was damp but not near enough to be the source.
Old 05-14-2016, 10:53 PM
Staging Lane

I chased an oil leak at the rear of the engine on my '95 LT1 for years. Always had a slight drip regardless of what I tried. After replacing the rear main seal, oil pan, and intake gaskets, it turned out to be the head gasket. Verified this when I pulled the heads a few months ago for some port work. It wasn't sealing just below the intake manifold, allowing oil to leak out of the lifter valley down the back of the block.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Mystery oil leak