LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

This past week or so, my PS fluid has been steadily leaking.

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2016, 08:17 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default This past week or so, my PS fluid has been steadily leaking.

I found the leak. It's coming out through one of the steering rack's bellows. The clamp was either not clasping the bellow properly or too much pressure caused the clamp to come loose. What should I be replacing? How do I know if my PS pump is bad?

As of now, when steering left/right my car makes a faint whine noise. When the fluid is all gone, the steering becomes hard and robotic-like.

To describe robotic-like: I'm turning the wheel and it stops for a split-second and then the wheel continues to move to where I am telling the wheel to move. A jerking motion.

Steering rack has warranty, so I can easily replace that for free. Just worried about the pump.

This is a 93 TA.
Old 09-07-2016, 10:13 AM
Village Troll

Received 517 Likes on 373 Posts

Pretty sure those symptoms are from a low fluid level/air in the high pressure line. When you say the "fluid is all gone" do you mean all the fluid leaks out?
Old 09-07-2016, 10:25 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Precisely. When I got home, I added a cup or so of fluid and went under the car. In less than a minute (with the car off) the drivers side bellow on the steering rack was slowly leaking. Upon further inspection I noticed that it was indeed PS fluid. I grabbed the bellow and squeezed it and sure enough the cup of fluid I added, and more, gushed out.

Old 09-07-2016, 11:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

The pump whining is from low fluid, like SS RRR mentioned. The bellows are not seals, they're just rubber boots. The seals are in the ends of the rack itself. If it's under warranty, just replace it. If the pump still whines after refilling and bleeding the system, then it might need to be replaced as well.
Old 09-07-2016, 04:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Spartan7
The pump whining is from low fluid, like SS RRR mentioned. The bellows are not seals, they're just rubber boots. The seals are in the ends of the rack itself. If it's under warranty, just replace it. If the pump still whines after refilling and bleeding the system, then it might need to be replaced as well.
When I come home from work, I will attempt to dissipate any of the air that's in the system as SS RRR said. Luckily, the rack is still under warranty.

Thank you for your help guys/gals!

Last edited by ShovelMan; 09-07-2016 at 04:40 PM. Reason: Thanking forum posters
Old 09-07-2016, 07:38 PM
TECH Resident

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

If you have to replace the rack, make double sure before you put the "new" one in it that it's the right steering ratio.

I asked for a Z28 rack and got a V6 one time. If I recall, should be around 2.25 turns lock to lock.

Nothing worse than finding out you have the wrong ratio after the "new" one is installed....ask me how I know.

Quick Reply: This past week or so, my PS fluid has been steadily leaking.