LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

No start, no spark, no power to icm/coil.

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2017, 03:34 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No start, no spark, no power to icm/coil.

Like the title says, motor will turn like a champ but it is getting no spark Pulled the #1 spark plug and it is not sparking at all. The ICM and coil are not getting power but the opti is. When I turn the key to the on position it is throwing a code (which it hadn't before this problem occured.) Checked the voltage too the opti harness connector from the pcm and it checks out so I know the opti has power. Checked the opti harness to and it's fine, it's also new. Check the voltage on the connectors to icm and coil and they both do not have power. This was checked with the key in the on position. Ignition fuse is good, fuel pressure with key on is 42lbs. Opti, opti harness, coil, and icm were all replaced less than 300 miles ago. Opti was a cheapo so this could be the problem. Just wanting to make sure I'm not spending money on stuff that ls not causing the problem.
Old 02-21-2017, 04:31 PM
Village Troll

Received 517 Likes on 373 Posts

http://shbox.com/1/4th_gen_tech2.html#opti_test
Old 02-22-2017, 11:36 PM
On The Tree

Bump for more opinions!
Old 02-24-2017, 01:47 AM
Teching In

if the coil isn't getting power youll need to follow the wires and look for any bad connections on mine there are two plugs that connect to the coil and two wires from each plug.
what year is the car?
Old 03-03-2017, 08:33 AM
TECH Resident

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Don't mean to hijack but I've got a similar condition, so instead of starting a new thread with the same problem, I figured I would add to this one. Mine starts fine, but once it gets nice and warm it will start hesitating and within seconds will just die, or just die, and won't restart. Fuel pressure is perfect when this happens and wont restart. Have tried 2 new coils, stock and MSD, 2 new ICM's and have spaced it away from the head, the only thing I haven't done is test the new Autozone opti (i know, i know) that I just put on a few months ago. What is a source for a new GM brand opti that isnt $375?

If I replace the opti with GM and still have this issue, what is my next thing to check?

Quick Reply: No start, no spark, no power to icm/coil.