LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

hard wiring a power seat to get it to move

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2017, 08:09 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default hard wiring a power seat to get it to move

the front of my 96 formula power seat won't move down. The front of the move up but not down. The rear of the seat would move up and down. the seat would move forward and backward. How do I hard wire it to make it move to where I want to to be?

I have the switch internals exposed. I would like to move it into a driving position and leave it there until I can get some aftermarket replacements. At this point, I can't spend a lot of time on it. I simply want to get it to move so I can drive the car.
Old 03-29-2017, 09:47 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 50 Likes on 44 Posts

The dark blue wire (H) in the connector should be the front height motor's down lead. Jump power to that lead to move the motor (as long as it is not a motor problem).

schematic
Old 03-30-2017, 09:04 AM
Launching!

Thanks for the info. i have alligator clips at each end of a long wire. Could I clip one end to the + battery and the other end to the exposed darkblue wire on the switch circuit board? Or would it be better to unhook the seat harness and use a paper clip to get to the blue wire? Or does it make any difference? I suck at electrics as you can probably tell.

Also, I cannot find a replacement firebird seat switch. Will a camaro switch plug into the seat harness? If so, i could retrofit a camaro seat trim piece to hold the switch.
Old 03-30-2017, 08:04 PM
Launching!

tried applying 12v directly from battery to B and H on the seat harness plug with no results. I also put a paper clip into A and G, then applied 12v. I expected the seat to move up but it did not. These motors were working. what am i doing wrong?
Old 03-30-2017, 09:14 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 50 Likes on 44 Posts

You could unplug the connector and jumper F to H. F is the incoming power (make sure you have it by checking with a meter). F to any other wire should make the seat move. Don't forget a jumper to C to provide ground.
Old 04-04-2017, 01:49 PM
Launching!

I never could get the harness to move the seat so I took it out, flipped it over and made 2 connectors with about 2 ft of wire for each motor. I then applied 12v directly to each motor via the wires. I put the seat back in and used that to adjust it as needed. My manual tilt bracket should arrive today if anyone needs a power bracket.

Quick Reply: hard wiring a power seat to get it to move