LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

AFR Eliminator guys, how much timing at WOT?

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2017, 11:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Default AFR Eliminator guys, how much timing at WOT?

Just curious to see how much total timing guys with AFR Eliminators are running in NA applications. I have 210 Eliminators and understand they require less timing than a ported stock head because of a more efficient chamber. I have been running 34-35 so far (31 in the tables) but might pull a degree or two. I have heard everything from 30 to 38 but am looking for more real world experiences.
Old 04-11-2017, 12:08 PM
11 Second Club

Received 54 Likes on 50 Posts

Sorry man I don't have any real world experiences with those heads but I did want to throw this out there in the event it helps you any. Recently, I pulled the plugs on my Harley and found some tiny specs of metal on the porcelain indicating detonation. The detonation could not be heard. I went ahead and backed off the timing a couple degrees. If you haven't done so already maybe pull some plugs and look at the porcelain with a magnifying glass. Although a PITA to do sometimes, you could also do a couple plug chops at different throttle positions just to see how they look with your current timing. Hope that helps some.
Old 04-13-2017, 03:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks, will give that a try eventually. Putting it on the dyno in a few days and don't have much time to swap plugs, was looking for a baseline. Anyone?
Old 04-13-2017, 03:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Not eliminators but hand ported AFR220's. Running 35.5 degrees at WOT. I have not dialed in the timing to get best ET but this is what I am currently running. I am still working on richening up the mixture to run the quickest ET and faster mph, then I will pull/add timing to see if it picks up or slows down. I keep melting my #5 plug boot so the numbers below were on 7 cylinders.
Old 04-13-2017, 08:06 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

You should be tuning like any other motor - monitoring knock and checking plugs to find the correct timing for your particular motor.Different cams can want some pretty different timings, just like different chamber designs do. What works for someone else with the same cylinder head but different cam and gas may not work for you .

Originally Posted by Nostang
Not eliminators but hand ported AFR220's. Running 35.5 degrees at WOT. I have not dialed in the timing to get best ET but this is what I am currently running. I am still working on richening up the mixture to run the quickest ET and faster mph, then I will pull/add timing to see if it picks up or slows down. I keep melting my #5 plug boot so the numbers below were on 7 cylinders.
OT, but what are your rough cam specs? Just curious since I have similar heads and there aren't too many hand ported 220s in "active duty" left. Any idea of your raceweight or hp numbers? I know it won't be a dyno queen with the TH400, but your trap is already getting up there for a shakedown run. Every few months I get the itch to work on the car and start browsing LT1 forums again...usually after something goes wrong with another project or after a few drinks .

You can PM if you'd like .
Old 04-13-2017, 11:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

I've done plenty of logging runs and so far everything looks fine. It's a little hard to discern between real and false knock though because I'm running the stock module with tune attack/recovery tables desensitized 15%. Seems fine at WOT with 34-35 deg though. I only get 3 runs on the dyno so I'm bringing a few computers with several tunes loaded so I can swap quickly.

As far as WOT timing, I thought combustion chamber efficiency, octane, and comp mattered a lot more than cam timing. My cam is a 226/239 hydraulic roller from Lloyd, nothing special.

Just asking this question because I've seen a ton of variance online. My Solomon tune looks radical as hell compared to my lazy timing.
Old 04-13-2017, 11:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks, is that 35.5 in the tables or logged?
Old 04-14-2017, 07:21 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Catmaigne
Thanks, is that 35.5 in the tables or logged?
Tables and logged. Running FAST XFI with no knock sensors. Also, tuning on Sunoco 110 octane. I would pull a little bit of timing if running pump gas.
Old 04-17-2017, 01:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

So I didn't end up swapping any tunes between runs because there wasn't enough time at the dyno day, so I loaded the "kill tune" (which is barely a kill tune imo) and let it eat. 34-35 deg timing up top and AFR of ~12.8 on the wideband. It might want more timing and I'm sure I could ramp it up a little faster, but I would need real dyno time or track time to really dial it in. Still running the stock KM and didn't see any retard.

It made 414rwhp/372rwtq SAE and 425rwhp/382rwtq STD corrected. Not bad considering it's down 2.5-3 points SCR from a NA motor, has early AFR 210 Elim's from 2007 (apparently flow slightly less), LE 226/239 .565/.587" 114lsa blower cam, 9" rear, and I tuned it myself. I only have a good pic of the STD graph, but check out that torque curve. I'm happy with it and the Si-trim should go on this fall/winter.

Old 04-17-2017, 03:02 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thats a torque cliff, There aint no curve! Lol
Old 04-17-2017, 03:53 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

No exaggeration, that is one of the nicest TQ curves I have seen from an NA LT1.

Grats to you for sure man.
Old 04-17-2017, 06:36 PM
11 Second Club

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Not eliminators but hand ported AFR220's. Running 35.5 degrees at WOT. I have not dialed in the timing to get best ET but this is what I am currently running. I am still working on richening up the mixture to run the quickest ET and faster mph, then I will pull/add timing to see if it picks up or slows down. I keep melting my #5 plug boot so the numbers below were on 7k cylinders.
This kept happening to me with my AFRs.. Ran a 12.23 @ 110 on 7 cylinders..
Old 04-17-2017, 07:17 PM
11 Second Club

Received 54 Likes on 50 Posts

Gonna be a friggin beast with the blower. Glad to see another fast LT1 in the area, most that I come across these days are full of mismatched parts that run like hell and give us all a bad name. Once you get the blower on you ought to **** on some of these rich main line ****** that I see on a daily basis rocking their fancy Ferraris and the like.
Old 04-18-2017, 12:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks guys, I've been running around NA for a while to break in the motor and make sure it's healthy before I amp up the power. The baseline seems good and I'm psyched about getting the blower on now.

Originally Posted by StealthFormula
Gonna be a friggin beast with the blower. Glad to see another fast LT1 in the area, most that I come across these days are full of mismatched parts that run like hell and give us all a bad name. Once you get the blower on you ought to **** on some of these rich main line ****** that I see on a daily basis rocking their fancy Ferraris and the like.
I know what you mean, most of the LT1 4th gens I come across are idiot kids from LT1 Nation that think a BBK tb and Flowmaster catback instantly add 150hp. Granted, I bought my car at 17, but at least I had the sense to do a google search before opening my wallet.

And yeah, there are plenty of snobs rolling around who think they're hot ****. I remember pulling up next to an R8 on main street here and the guy didn't even acknowledge my existence. He could probably feel the cam lope in his chest lol.

Quick Reply: AFR Eliminator guys, how much timing at WOT?