LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

I need guidance for a 600 rwhp naturally aspirated lt1 383 running on premiu

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2017, 02:48 PM
TECH Resident

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

If you want to make big power on the street(that is on all the time), I think there are a couple of ways to do it.

Boost, displacement, or a combo of the two.

The most NA, on a street Gen II LT1, I've generally seen is in the 500 area...which is where I think I'll be when I'm done with mine.

I don't think REV's are the way to make power on the street. Thing will be a dog on the low end and driveability will be questionable.

Originally Posted by SS RRR
Just know, OP, if you set a budget, know you're going to go over it. That's just the way it works.
That is a big 10-4.
Old 04-19-2017, 04:55 PM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ddnspider
TLDR....I stopped when you just tried to compare a 2.0 liter motor at 8k to an ls based motor at 8k. You're ENTIRE argument about piston speed in a v8 is exactly the reason RPMs kill v8s. You really need to do more research, it is WIDELY known on this site that the number 1 killer of ls and lt motors, assuming there are no issues like oil pressure or overheating....is RPMs. The piston speed and forces on the rod bearings is what kills them. And nobody says you have to put a ridiculous cam in the engine, that's purely choice. A 6500 red line in a boosted v8 will destroy an NA v8 reving to 7500 on the street due to the area under the curve power. And that lower reving motor will last longer, make more power, have less maintenance, and run on lower octane.
You don't have to agree with me. It is a known fact that getting more power is accomplished through higher rpm. All I said was that if he wanted 600 NA to the wheels with an LT1, rpm is the easiest way to get there. I even said it won't be reliable, it won't be reasonable to drive, and he will lose to cars with half the power. It's very simple. A car that makes 500 to the tire at 6k, given proper airflow, will go on to make 600 at around 7250. My point is that if you aren't after every drop of power, rpm is safer than boost.

Last edited by PyroguyFTW; 04-19-2017 at 05:01 PM.
Old 04-19-2017, 05:34 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1,751 Likes on 1,307 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Originally Posted by PyroguyFTW
You don't have to agree with me. It is a known fact that getting more power is accomplished through higher rpm. All I said was that if he wanted 600 NA to the wheels with an LT1, rpm is the easiest way to get there. I even said it won't be reliable, it won't be reasonable to drive, and he will lose to cars with half the power. It's very simple. A car that makes 500 to the tire at 6k, given proper airflow, will go on to make 600 at around 7250. My point is that if you aren't after every drop of power, rpm is safer than boost.
time out, flag on the play, personal foul, holding. I am NOT arguing more power can be made with rpm. That is a given. Go back and read my first reply to you. You state more rpms is a more reliable way to make power....when inFACT rpms kill more motors and Trans than anything else.

Last edited by ddnspider; 04-19-2017 at 06:00 PM.
Old 04-19-2017, 07:02 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

RPMs will kill an LT1 quicker then HP. The stock rod bolts don't like it and the pistons are pretty heavy.

Different things kill different motors. For an LT1, its usually RPMs and you spin a bearing. For a SBF, it could be HP when the block splits at ~500. For a 4cyl, it may be the connecting rods(...and the pistons, weak block sleeves, oil starvation, etc lol).

Can't just make a blanket statement like RPM is safer then HP, although it may be true in some cases. RPM is THE way to make power without boost...but it is expensive and difficult.

IMO in the end you need cubes, boost, and RPM to make power..in that order of importance. If you're not boosting, then up the cubes or up the RPMs.
Old 04-19-2017, 08:22 PM
TECH Addict

More rpm is more stressful on everything in a motor, valvetrain, oiling, balancing, fuel, spark, etc.
Old 04-21-2017, 12:09 AM
TECH Addict

Received 131 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by PyroguyFTW
You don't have to agree with me. It is a known fact that getting more power is accomplished through higher rpm. All I said was that if he wanted 600 NA to the wheels with an LT1, rpm is the easiest way to get there............
L......M......A......O!

KW
Old 04-21-2017, 12:26 AM
TECH Addict

Received 478 Likes on 368 Posts

Originally Posted by Kingbird97
I meant at the flywheel, Ive helped on a few motors (ls,l98 and a couple
302) but never built my own that's why I'm even considering such a proposition and this isn't something that's gonna be done tomorrow so with any luck it'll be there in 2 years. Thanks for your concern and advice
Its not all about age its also about attitude, I know several Full sprint drivers that are 16, heck I know one that managed to get a license at 15 and won the season at a local track.. MANY go cart racers and motorcycle racers do fine.

The tell is how do they take advice..
Old 04-21-2017, 05:21 AM
12 Second Club

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

My vote to get you near 600 on a REASONABLE budget, is stock crank, forged rods and pistons, AI200s, and a 200 shot. Yes, people have made 600-700 on pump gas, I think Tanner did it, and some others, but it gets really expensive. You can do a 355 for $3500, AI package for $2500, rear for $2500, suspension for $1000, tires for $500, trans for $2500, fuel and exhaust for $1500, nitrous for $1000, tune for $400, and it keeps going. 425rwhp NA is easy, and you can survive on street tires and a 10 bolt for a while. Add that 200 shot and you need a trans and rear to take it. Without nitrous you need a new PCM, more displacement, shaft rockers to take more RPM, billet caps, and you probably won't be driving it to the grocery store anymore.

Here is the biggest dream crusher for an 18 year old: you put $10,000 into your $4000 LT1, it's still worth $4000. I love hot rodding and I totally encourage you to do what makes you happy, but my warning is do not get yourself into debt doing it. Racing on a credit card is the stupidest thing you can do. Modding a car doesn't add value. If you were 30 years old, had a solid job and no wife or kids and money to blow, I'd be egging you on to go for the moon, but you are 18 and you have to consider if dumping that kind of money into something with 0 return is worth it.

Last edited by bufmatmuslepants; 04-21-2017 at 05:30 AM.
Old 04-21-2017, 05:52 AM
11 Second Club

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

IDK why yall are even talking about high rpm. Factory PCM won't go much over 7000 anyway.
Old 04-21-2017, 07:46 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1,751 Likes on 1,307 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

I rest my case...
Old 04-21-2017, 08:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

ok OP - back to you - you have everyone's feedback, time to act...
Old 04-21-2017, 02:55 PM
TECH Veteran

[QUOTE=bufmatmuslepants;19599301

Here is the biggest dream crusher for an 18 year old: you put $10,000 into your $4000 LT1, it's still worth $4000. I love hot rodding and I totally encourage you to do what makes you happy, but my warning is do not get yourself into debt doing it. Racing on a credit card is the stupidest thing you can do. Modding a car doesn't add value. If you were 30 years old, had a solid job and no wife or kids and money to blow, I'd be egging you on to go for the moon, but you are 18 and you have to consider if dumping that kind of money into something with 0 return is worth it.[/QUOTE]

This.
Old 04-21-2017, 03:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Puck
This.
I'll third this one. If you want a fast car just go out and buy a 1-2 year old z06 vette and you will have 600+hp stock. Once you get tired of it sell and only lose a little bit of money instead of all of it.
Old 04-21-2017, 03:27 PM
Village Troll

Received 541 Likes on 391 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

That's how those crazy kids got away with it when these cars were new in the 90's. Economic explosion, plenty of dot com jobs to go around starting at $40K+, and for a single guy living in an apartment or house full of roommates, money was no object. Not so much like that anymore.

Last edited by SS RRR; 04-21-2017 at 04:30 PM.
Old 04-21-2017, 03:57 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Nostang
I'll third this one. If you want a fast car just go out and buy a 1-2 year old z06 vette and you will have 600+hp stock. Once you get tired of it sell and only lose a little bit of money instead of all of it.
that is terrible advice.
Old 04-21-2017, 04:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by myltwon
that is terrible advice.
One thing I learned about advice is that no one listens anyway. People always do what they want to do. However, if you are going to dump $20k + into a car that books for $5k at most you are losing $15k. If you buy a newer car a few years old and do nothing to it, it will meet your performance goals but still be worth more as a percentage. I agree that cars are a terrible...absolutely terrible investment in time and money. (well, except for well to do folks who buy Porsche 911's--those cars always seem to appreciate over time)
Old 04-21-2017, 06:55 PM
TECH Addict

One thing I learned about advice is that no one listens anyway. People always do what they want to do. However, if you are going to dump $20k + into a car that books for $5k at most you are losing $15k. If you buy a newer car a few years old and do nothing to it, it will meet your performance goals but still be worth more as a percentage. I agree that cars are a terrible...absolutely terrible investment in time and money. (well, except for well to do folks who buy Porsche 911's--those cars always seem to appreciate over time)
the payments on a $70-80K sports car will buy him a built motor in a couple months and he will likely owe more than its worth If he doesn't keep it for a few years and even then he will be chasing it's depreciating value.

if something were to happen before he even starts paying towards the principle of the car like losing a job or similar he will be buried in debt. You can always stop modding a car you own if your life changes, you can't just stop making car payments. well you can but not until you're out from under it.

Last edited by myltwon; 04-21-2017 at 07:06 PM.
Old 04-22-2017, 07:40 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by myltwon
the payments on a $70-80K sports car will buy him a built motor in a couple months and he will likely owe more than its worth If he doesn't keep it for a few years and even then he will be chasing it's depreciating value.

if something were to happen before he even starts paying towards the principle of the car like losing a job or similar he will be buried in debt. You can always stop modding a car you own if your life changes, you can't just stop making car payments. well you can but not until you're out from under it.
If the OP wants 600rwhp and have something he will drive it will cost big $$ even if he is doing all the labor. Not to mention the cost to do it with an LTX platform. Most folks start down the path of building and never get a chance to finish as the continual cost of the build and not driving the car makes it unenjoyable. If the OP were to buy a newer platform (doesn't have to be a Z06 as in my first example) they would be better off and it would be cheaper in the long run. Hell, they could get a CTSV, LS3 vette, or C5Z06. LS3 with headers and a supercharger would be perfectly streetable and make 600rwhp on pump no problem. CTSV could do the same with minor mods. The C5z06 would need a small cam/heads and a supercharger. You do not have to rebuild the entire trans, no aftermarket suspension or rear end needed.

Example: 4th gen LTx platform will need to have the trans rebuilt($2k+), aftermarket torque converter ($800+), trans cooler, aftermarket rear end ($2.5k+), aftermarket suspension pieces($1.5k+), full exhaust (which is getting harder to find for cheap), most likely aftermarket wheels, brakes, and other odds and end. If you were building a drag car you will need all the safety equipment, roll cage, trans shield, 5 pt harnesses, etc.

There are better platforms for a 600rwhp build than an ltx 4th gen.
Old 04-22-2017, 10:04 AM
TECH Veteran

Not the worse advice. I'd rather be $10k upside down on a 60k Vette then $10k upside down on a $5k Z28 . In the mean time you have something more reliable and with a warranty. Don't even try to mod these cars if you are not willing to lose your *** if you decide to sell it, or willing to part it out and bust your knuckles recouping your money bit by bit.

No platform is cheap for 600rwhp. You either pay up front for the car, or pay for it in engine and supporting mods. If that wasn't true then everyone would have 600rwhp street cars.

Best performance street car for the money right now among any make or model is probably a C5. A streetable cam and bolt-ons make ~430-450rwhp, they only weight ~3200-3300, and can be had for $10-15k now. Still won't make anywhere near 600rwhp for cheap, but in that car you don't need that to go fast as hell. Hope you don't need a back seat though.
Old 04-22-2017, 11:09 AM
TECH Addict

There are better platforms for a 600rwhp build than an ltx 4th gen.
agree 100% just saying that a $90k sports car is not the right answer unless the op makes a near that much a year, considering he's looking to mod a $3-5K sports car I doubt that's the case.

Quick Reply: I need guidance for a 600 rwhp naturally aspirated lt1 383 running on premiu