LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Project straightened out

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2017, 10:08 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Project straightened out

Hey guys, so when I first started thinking about moding my trans am I was clueless about what I was getting into. I made a few post's on here and realized I didn't have enough information on how to modify the LT1 platform. I have done a lot of research since then, straightened out my knowledge on the LT1 and how to build one, and finally... I'm ready to start part 1 of my Project: CobraKiller!
(that name is used VERY lightly, for now.)

I have drastically brought down my expectations. I am going for 365-380rwhp for now. I'm going to achieve this via full bolt on's and a top end rebuild. (I've got full bolt on's now) I'm not going to go too serious on it because I am still on stock bottom end (I will be checking the compression, then the condition of everything on my bottom end when I get my heads off). So far she still run's very well, not blowing by.
Assuming everything is good I plan on doing a comp cc503 with 1.65 NSA roller rockers. (.224/.230-.553/.561) I'm looking at getting my stock heads done up with a very similar package to loyd's LE2. Stock valve sizes, but good flowing! I'll be getting a 54mm throttle body then port matching my intake to throttle body and P&P runners on my stock intake. I will also be getting 30-36# injectors depending on what FPR (running 94 octane) I will being doing an EGR delete, I have a pair of pacesetter long tubes, O/R Y waiting to go on and a flowmaster 80 on now, but that's coming off soon with the stock catt. I still have a few things on my list that need to get finished up; Can I use hardened stock length/size LT1 pushrods with ls7 lifters and the cc503 with 1.65 roller rockers? Otherwise what size pushrods ? Will comp guide plates work? What kind of springs do you guys suggest also, I was looking at patriot gold extreme's but I read a few bad things about them... Sooo PAC 1220's? Lunati looked like they had a good kit too?
Sorry for so much reading guys I appreciate any comments or feedback, I'm sure I missed some some stuff on here I just wanted to post a rough overview. I basically want some more fun for 2 summers while I save for a good bottom end rebuild.
If I need to provide more info I can just let me know. Thanks everyone again -Ryan
94 Trans Am gt (project: CobraKiller)

Last edited by Ryanchenger97; 04-23-2017 at 10:26 PM.
Old 04-24-2017, 04:08 AM
TECH Regular

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

1. Save your $ on the throttle body. You are nowhere close to taxing the OEM unit.
2. Call LLoyd Elliott and have him spec a cam for you instead of getting an off the shelf cam. He can also spec the correct springs and other stuff. (Like correct rockers)
3. Pushrod length should always be measured when doing a cam & lifter changeout. Get a PR length checker and do the work. Expensive sounds happen if PR length is incorrect.
4. LSx lifters fit, but there's a pretty heated debate on whether or not they are correct for use in this engine. They are not the same as the LT lifters and have a different cup-depth. Lots of people have used them with no issue. I've personally had two sets (GMPP and Skip White) go belly-up and replaced them with Crower LT lifters.
5. You've not mentioned anything about gears. IMHO, you can get a huge performance increase by changing out your gears. It can be more of a kick in the pants than a cam.
6. If you're an A4, start looking at a converter
Old 04-24-2017, 04:33 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by atlantadan
1. Save your $ on the throttle body. You are nowhere close to taxing the OEM unit.
2. Call LLoyd Elliott and have him spec a cam for you instead of getting an off the shelf cam. He can also spec the correct springs and other stuff. (Like correct rockers)
3. Pushrod length should always be measured when doing a cam & lifter changeout. Get a PR length checker and do the work. Expensive sounds happen if PR length is incorrect.
4. LSx lifters fit, but there's a pretty heated debate on whether or not they are correct for use in this engine. They are not the same as the LT lifters and have a different cup-depth. Lots of people have used them with no issue. I've personally had two sets (GMPP and Skip White) go belly-up and replaced them with Crower LT lifters.
5. You've not mentioned anything about gears. IMHO, you can get a huge performance increase by changing out your gears. It can be more of a kick in the pants than a cam.
6. If you're an A4, start looking at a converter
M6, stock 3.42 sorry. Eventually going to 3.73's.
Ya I've seen some of what has been said about the lifters. So would a new set of GM stock lt1 lifters be pushing it ?

I'm in Canada, so ya loyds prices are decent, and his work is great, but shipping on top of that is through the roof. I may as well buy new heads. Not what I want right now, I'm going to rebuild the bottom end in 2 years anyways.

Im going with an off the shelf cam to keep things simple. I'd be going with the Hot Cam kit if I could make the same gains but we all know that's not going to happen. Would I be better off just sliding in the cc503 with just the 1.6rr?
My intake and heads are still on the car I haven't started my project yet. I'm trying to prepare my knowledge so i know what to start looking for when I do all the measurements during swap.
Old 04-24-2017, 05:20 PM
TECH Regular

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I didnt say get the heads from Lloyd - I said get a cam from him. Cheaper than an off the shelf cam and more tailored to your car and what you want it to do. He will ask you a bunch of questions about what you want to do with the car and what you've got and then he can match a cam to your desires, have it made, and shipped to you. He will also offer input and advice on the rest of your parts. Whatever cam you select, you will need a tune. Choose your tuner wisely. I'd suggest staying away from anyplace that sounds like "PCM For Less"
Old 04-24-2017, 07:11 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by atlantadan
I didnt say get the heads from Lloyd - I said get a cam from him. Cheaper than an off the shelf cam and more tailored to your car and what you want it to do. He will ask you a bunch of questions about what you want to do with the car and what you've got and then he can match a cam to your desires, have it made, and shipped to you. He will also offer input and advice on the rest of your parts. Whatever cam you select, you will need a tune. Choose your tuner wisely. I'd suggest staying away from anyplace that sounds like "PCM For Less"
Tuning I'm a little worried about still... I have'nt done a whole heck of a lot of research on tunning yet ... who's better out there ?

I'll be calling Lloyd to get a second opinion but I really can't see a custom cam being cheaper after CAN to USD conversion and shipping prices but I mean hey it's worth a shot.
Thanks for the advice and your input bro it does help.
Old 04-26-2017, 10:18 AM
Village Troll

Received 517 Likes on 373 Posts

Originally Posted by Ryanchenger97
M6, stock 3.42 sorry. Eventually going to 3.73's.
Whenever I put in a different cam I've always waited until I get it dynoed to see where power peak is. After this, then decide what gears would work best. The key for good 1/4 times is making sure when you are in 4th gear you are as close to your power peak as possible when crossing the traps. If you are going to do more roll racing then you would probably want a numerically lower ratio gear.
Old 05-03-2017, 09:30 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by SS RRR
Whenever I put in a different cam I've always waited until I get it dynoed to see where power peak is. After this, then decide what gears would work best. The key for good 1/4 times is making sure when you are in 4th gear you are as close to your power peak as possible when crossing the traps. If you are going to do more roll racing then you would probably want a numerically lower ratio gear.
Mexico streets with Low mph/km rolls and dig runs. My car may see the track one day but It's a street car/daily in the summer with basically no intent for strip.

Quick Reply: Project straightened out