LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Oil Report "Blackstone Labs"

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2017, 03:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Default Oil Report "Blackstone Labs"

Got my oil report back after 1300 miles on top end rebuild/cam swap. Whatcha think? See attachment.
100k on stock shortblock.
3 angle valve job on heads, new springs, pushrods, lifters, cam, timing set. Had some glittery color to my oil so i decided to get it tested.
Attached Thumbnails Oil Report "Blackstone Labs"-20170428_163543.png  
Old 04-29-2017, 12:09 AM
TECH Resident

Here was my test with about 1250 miles on the oil. 2nd oil change after the cam swap.

http://www.ace1252.com/96Z28_Oil_Ana...stone_Labs.pdf

My top 3 are showing much lower than yours. I didn't touch the bottom end except for the cam swap. This analysis is before I replaced all the bearings in the engine.

I'm surprised they mentioned the pistons....you didn't touch those right? Or have any block work correct? You are not crazy far off the universal averages, but certainly higher than my report(with about half the miles on the oil).

Now, I did run fresh oil for about 20min(at idle) when I first fired up my engine after the cam swap. Shut it down then changed that oil/filter, replaced it with new, and what you see above is the report on the 2nd batch of oil in my engine after the cam swap.

They didn't see anything to panic about in yours so I think that is good. Run your current oil for a few thousand and send it out again. I expect those numbers should drop.

Last edited by ACE1252; 04-29-2017 at 12:20 AM.
Old 04-29-2017, 08:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

ACE, yeah i would be worried if my lead and tin #'s were high meaning bearings i believe. I bet my elevated metals are from the new cloyes timing set and the oil pump drive gear adapting to the cam gear. Thats my guess. Yeah my shortblock was untouched so weird they mentioned that.

Your oil analysis looked good! We both had high silicon though.
I caked my oilpan where it meets the timing cover lol
Didn't want any leaks! I made a perfect rtv bead on the intake, sealed up good!

Quick Reply: Oil Report "Blackstone Labs"