LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

95 z28 383 stroker d1 procharger.

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2017, 05:14 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 95 z28 383 stroker d1 procharger.

Need help tuning. It's running rich and stumbling at higher revs. I bought the carbit had a wiring issue wouldn't idle. Code 42 was a faulty msd 6 amp box. Unhooked and fires up idles great. I can accelerate slowly with no issues. Once I get on it. Car stumbles and cuts out. I've never tuned before. I'm wondering what the seeet spot is that others have found. It's pushing 11lbs of boost. No maf just a 2 bar map. Should I install a maf?
Old 05-11-2017, 08:03 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

A boosted 383 LT1 is probably not the car I would recommend learning to tune on, especially an SD tune which has less room for error and won't self-correct.

What are you using to tune? On something like that, honestly spending the money on a 24x setup with a MAF would be a wise investment IMO. You'll get better supported easier to use software, a faster more advanced ECU with a better ability to compensate for mods, more options for professional tuners if you give up (and tons more resources to learn from if you stick to it yourself), and as a bonus you will eliminate the opti.
Old 05-11-2017, 08:17 PM
Teching In

I just got the tunercats kit to tune. The car has to be pretty close I'll have to make a couple changes in the higher rpm ranges 3500-5000. I guess I can upload the data and see what others think. Afr is about 13-14 at idle its jumping around as I accelerated it dropped down 8 so way rich. . I know I need to be 11.8 on the top end. I'll pick up a maf. I under stand what needs to be done. Retard the timing back the fuel off and bring them together to find a sweet spot it's the computer sh*t I'll need help with. The car also came from Utah and elevation of 4500 feet it's at 1200 feet now I thought it would run better up here but same.
Old 05-11-2017, 10:09 PM
Teching In

well I'm going to start with cleaning / replacing 02s installing a maf and cleaning map. Then possible checking the injectors. The car ran great before nothing's changed besides elevation so it has to be a sensor.
Old 05-12-2017, 06:52 AM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't know any thing about tuning. I had to get a mail order tune . My supercharged 383 acted like that until I installed cooler spark plugs but its still running rich
Old 05-12-2017, 04:37 PM
Teching In

Wv. What is your your set up. Psi of boost. Injectors etc? What plugs are you running.

Im leaning towards leaky injectors for me. They are Siemens 60# injectors.

Where is your afr reading
Old 05-12-2017, 04:54 PM
Teching In

Wv. What is your your set up. Psi of boost. Injectors etc? What plugs are you running.

Im leaning towards leaky injectors for me. They are Siemens 60# injectors.

Where is your afr reading
Old 05-12-2017, 05:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Was your car tuned for speed density? if so just adding a maf wont do anything. In tuner cat make sure the Speed density box is not checked. Also you want to verify when your maf maxes out, bc it will. You have to find out where in the rpm range it maxes out and then start adding fuel from there. Also, bring your timing down to like 14* at wot to start with. Once your get your fueling right, start to bring in your timing.
Old 05-12-2017, 05:34 PM
Teching In

I will have to check the tune when I get home. I will retard timing like you said and see what I come up with
Old 05-13-2017, 10:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

You can send me your tune and I'll help you get started.

Meanlt1fbody@aol.cim
Old 05-13-2017, 02:41 PM
Teching In

Was a stock bottom end with a cheap powerdyne. I pullied it to get 8 lbs of boost but then cracked 4 pistons. Now fully forged 383 and custom grind cam 36 lb accel injectors same lame supercharger that can only get to 3 lbs now after build. I'm running ngk tr6 plugs with only about .0032 gap on plugs.
Old 05-13-2017, 02:45 PM
Teching In

I was told with AC delco plugs and stock plug gap the boost was blowing the spark out ???? I don't know but I changed plugs and gap and have not had that problem again
Old 05-13-2017, 08:30 PM
Teching In

I'll have to see what brand of plugs I have and what's recommended the motor was built and assembled by Steve flatt everything is solid. The tune well I have no idea who did that. The previous owners buddy. Car ran strong pulled mid 11s with 8lb pulley. It's been takin to 3.4 pulley with 11lbs I Believe it only had a mail order then a couple tweeks probably never tuned to its full potential. Or something went wrong. I havnt had time to mess with it since Tuesday. I'm hoping tomorrow is the day. Ideas for a wide band o2? Which is the best quality kit
Old 05-15-2017, 07:45 AM
Teching In

Default Cutting back fuel.

I got the tune uploaded ok the computer. Which tables would I want to make adjustments for trim back the fuel. My issue is the car was built to drag not drive on the street. I won't be racing it or dragging it. Infact I would like to get it running right to make some money off it. Too poor to keep it. One question is can I up to flow per hr of the injectors to make the car think it gets more fuel therefore it would actually be cutting it back or does it not work that way. Also I'm going to stick with the 2 bar map and stay with the speed density tuning. i pulled the plugs they were black. Gotta pick up another o2 yet the local auto parts store only had one in stock. It's got 2 100cell cats wondering if I should get rid of them. The smell of gas is strong when the motor is running. It's like being at a gas pump. So that's the update no real improvements. Hoping to get more done tonight after work. I noticed the temp sensor on the right head is broken have to wire another one. Would that cause an issue. would it run in closed loop
Old 05-15-2017, 11:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

Do you have anything to data log with? If not, then I would wouldn't tackle this as you may blow the motor.
Old 05-16-2017, 03:09 AM
Teching In

I have EE hack for logging. Cars at my buddies house havnt been able to link up to get the data.

Quick Reply: 95 z28 383 stroker d1 procharger.