LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Cat in stock location. Will Long Tubes force me to delete the cat?

Old 06-13-2017, 03:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cat in stock location. Will Long Tubes force me to delete the cat?

I live in a visual inspection town and having a cat is a must. Will getting long tube headers allow me to have a catalytic converter? If it can't be in the stock location, what needs to be done?

Current setup: Midtube headers -> test-pipe (cat-looking) -> catback

Will I have to cut part of the catback to make the test-pipe fit?

Last edited by ShovelMan; 06-14-2017 at 01:09 PM.
Old 06-13-2017, 03:11 PM
TECH Resident

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

What state are you in?
Old 06-13-2017, 03:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Texas.

It's happened before where I didn't have a cat. Automatic failure.
Old 06-13-2017, 03:12 PM
Village Troll

Received 517 Likes on 373 Posts

Yes. It would be impractical to try and make a y-pipe work in trying to keep the cat in the stock location. Is your car OBDI? If so, just get some OBDI style headers that bolt onto the stock y-pipe and then flange the cat itself. That way when you need to pass you can bolt that cat on and when not, flange yourself a straight pipe to go in its place. Only trick to this is finding an exhaust shop to do it if you can't do it yourself.
Old 06-13-2017, 03:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I think my car is OBDI, it's a 93. I have some mids + y-pipe to a hollow cat + pseudo-dual exhaust.

Can the cat be relocated without removing it?

EDIT: It doesn't have to be in the stock location, as long as the cat is visible.
Old 06-13-2017, 04:11 PM
Village Troll

Originally Posted by ShovelMan
EDIT: It doesn't have to be in the stock location, as long as the cat is visible.
Who said that? A hollowed out cat makes the exhaust sound like a bucket of fried ********.
Old 06-13-2017, 04:44 PM
TECH Addict

Received 475 Likes on 365 Posts

I kock a hole through the guts, and thread a piece of exhaust pipe through, that way when the inspector taps on it it sounds right.. YMMV..
Old 06-13-2017, 05:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SS RRR
Who said that? A hollowed out cat makes the exhaust sound like a bucket of fried ********.
its a fake cat
Old 06-14-2017, 05:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

In Texas, LTs and aftermarket cats are ok. I have high flows and it passes inspection in Houston every time.
Old 06-14-2017, 06:50 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Spartan7
In Texas, LTs and aftermarket cats are ok. I have high flows and it passes inspection in Houston every time.
I must know. You have LT. Did the aftermarket cats bolt in or did you have some welding done? Any clearance issues? I'm assuming true duals
Old 06-14-2017, 06:12 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

with "long" tube headers on a car that came with CATS....the CATS will not be in their stock location and "bolt" in....so welding/custom piping would be required to get the CATS in.

Those who replied that in Houston the position of the CAT does not matter...it just needs to be there...fing great

Here in Calif. they must me within 3" of their stock location and headers must have a CARB certification. Long tube headers is instant fail on visual test for smog

So if your location is more flexible in emission laws, great
Old 06-14-2017, 09:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ******
with "long" tube headers on a car that came with CATS....the CATS will not be in their stock location and "bolt" in....so welding/custom piping would be required to get the CATS in.

Those who replied that in Houston the position of the CAT does not matter...it just needs to be there...fing great

Here in Calif. they must me within 3" of their stock location and headers must have a CARB certification. Long tube headers is instant fail on visual test for smog

So if your location is more flexible in emission laws, great
This is great news for me, not so great for you California has some **** strict rules on this holy fudge. No LTs?
Old 06-14-2017, 10:21 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

Only header legal in Calif. is a shorty that has to have a C.A.R.B. (Calif. Air Resource Board) sticker with a EO#....and that # needs to be stamped on header also

Costs $ to go through all the crap they put a manufacturer through to get a CARB certification so there is almost nothing available that is "legal"

Basically restricting CAT placement to within 3" of stock doesn't leave the room long tubes would need.

There are some "creative" ways to get around it with mids.....but now that the State has gone to the STAR test system....the shops don't cut any slack as they will lose their license and get big $ fine if they get caught. The days of the "$200" test using a donor car are gone
Old 06-15-2017, 12:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ShovelMan
I must know. You have LT. Did the aftermarket cats bolt in or did you have some welding done? Any clearance issues? I'm assuming true duals
I have a Kooks LT's and Kooks catted y-pipe, and it wasn't cheap. It tucks up fairy well, I've scraped it on some speed bumps and humped driveway approaches, but them I'm lowered.

It even passed the sniffer test back when I lived in CA and knew a guy that overlooked LT's as long as all the emissions stuff was there. I doubt I could get away with that now.
Old 06-15-2017, 12:55 PM
Village Troll

Originally Posted by ******
Costs $ to go through all the crap they put a manufacturer through to get a CARB certification so there is almost nothing available that is "legal"
Yep. That's why certain engine packages have an EO number and can be bought in CA, but components used on said engine package do not therefore not for legal sale in CA.
Old 06-16-2017, 10:56 AM
TECH Enthusiast

@Spartan7: Do you know any shops in/around Houston that can do custom y-pipes?
Old 06-16-2017, 01:54 PM
On The Tree

Since we are on the subject of cats. Does anyone know what size exhaust tube would fit inside a stock cat. Mine blew apart and want to straight pipe it. The shop I go too only does visuals and it's passed every time so far being hollowed. Like said before I want to get rid of the "canned ***" sound with a straight pipe. I measured it to 2 and 3/4 but I can't find a shop with that size. They said they can get me a 2 1/2 and expand the ends to 2 3/4. I plan to weld it in.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Cat in stock location. Will Long Tubes force me to delete the cat?