LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

'96 LT1 into '95 questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2017, 02:05 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '96 LT1 into '95 questions

I was hoping someone could verify a couple things for me.

First off, little history. I have a 95 Firebird Formula with 6 speed, probably a year ago I parked it because it was giving me some problems and it was my fun car at the time. Recently I have come to need this back on the road. To expedite this I was looking at getting a running motor and swap it in (can rebuild/build up original to swap back in later at my leisure). I found a "running" 96 lt1 w/ PCM and harness (from Camaro) for sale near me and was looking at getting it to swap in. I did some searching, here and other places, from what I can gather I should be able to use my 95 harness and PCM with the 96. If my research is correct the 96 has a crank sensor that the 95 does not use and I can just leave that alone. Is this correct or Is my googling capability slacking?

Also Would it be worth it to use the 96 harness and PCM and convert the obd2? I have the aldl cable to connect my laptop and read the obd1 system but have not bought any software yet to use it as the free/trial ones worked for what I needed when I bought it years ago. If it is worth it to convert I assume I would have to rewire the port under the dash. I think I read somewhere about only having to run one wire to convert but I may be mixing things up. Either way is there any detailed information on doing this if it is indeed worth doing. I think I also read something about needing extra o2 sensors or changing them (I cant remember sorry).

Thank you and sorry for the long winded post/questions.
David
Old 06-17-2017, 12:54 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If it were me, all I would do is put the 96 Lt1 in my 95 not worry about the crank sensor and be done for now. To swap to 96 would be much more involved for pretty much nothing.
Old 06-17-2017, 01:25 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Those were my thoughts, just figured I would ask and make sure there wasn't a reason to do it that I was unaware of.

Thank you
Old 06-17-2017, 01:47 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

use your 95 knock sensor in the 96 motor

just leave the CPS unplugged

you will need the Damper hub from the donor motor so your Damper lines up with accessories

Quick Reply: '96 LT1 into '95 questions