LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

pretty sure I messed up my oil pan gasket install....

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2017, 07:44 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default pretty sure I messed up my oil pan gasket install....

So for the past few days I've been thinking the rear main seal on my new motor has been leaking since I get a nice steady drip while the motor runs and after it gets shut off that leads to a good size puddle.

So im doing all the research I can to double check if thats the cause and how to fix it and I stumble upon this

Originally Posted by FASTFATBOY
I had the same problem on one of mine, drove me F N nuts for a bit, I to put in a rear main...didnt fix it. The very first time I had the short block assembled by my machinist. I was short on time and wanted to make a cruise/show REALLY bad.

Here is what it was..............

On the rear main seal adapter there are 2 studs on the adapter, on the oil pan gasket there are crush washers made into the gasket to stop you from over torquing the gasket. Sometimes when you disassemble and pull that gasket off the little washer will stay on there and you miss it.

When the new gasket goes on they stack on top of each other and the pan gasket will not tighten up on the rear corners...it will LOOK JUST LIKE a rear main seal leak.

Ask me how I know................
I go to check out my old gasket since I never throw **** away and im pretty sure this is the cause of my leak now....So it seems this might even be worse then just fixing the rear main seal. This is not going to be a fun weekend

But other then that the motor seems to be running strong
Old 07-01-2017, 11:52 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

^^^ happened to me as FastFatBoy. One of the molded in washers stayed on the stud of the oil filter adapter. Fing instant leak
Old 07-01-2017, 03:55 PM
On The Tree

I just got done doing the oil pan gasket with the motor in the car. With the 6 speed tranny and the engine lifted as high as it will go with a Cherry picker, the pan will not come out but will be enough room to work the new gasket on. If you have the felpro gasket you should only need to drop the back side of the pan enough to get that extra washer out and tighten it back down.
Old 07-02-2017, 07:39 PM
TECH Resident

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Oil pan leaks can be a pain.

I've got some kind of oil pan leak now myself. I developed major leak and discovered that about 3 of my pan bolts had backed out on the passengers side. Ever since then, I've had a leak that always shows up as a single drop where the curve of the pan goes under the rear main.

It's never leaked on the garage floor....so it's only leaking when driving. Doesn't leak at idle either.

I pinned a folded up blue scott's towel between the trans and inspection plate to see how bad it is....seems to vary...from minimal(few drops) to half the towel absorbing oil on a single trip.

I don't look forward to trying to track it down, but I've got some dye to put in the oil for the next time I pull the engine(when I go to ported heads...and maybe a different cam).

The thing that worries me is when I found the pan leak, I had the trans pulled to change the rear main...as I thought it was the source of the leak. I let my screwdriver slip and moved across the crank with it. I could not see or feel any kind of a scratch or gouge...but it's in the back of my mind that I might have screwed the rear main crank sealing surface. I'll be inspecting it very closely next time I pull the engine.

Last edited by ACE1252; 07-02-2017 at 11:17 PM.
Old 07-03-2017, 03:47 PM
Village Troll

Received 517 Likes on 373 Posts

Originally Posted by Blind898
I just got done doing the oil pan gasket with the motor in the car. With the 6 speed tranny and the engine lifted as high as it will go with a Cherry picker, the pan will not come out but will be enough room to work the new gasket on.
Since the gasket is rubber, why not drop the pan and work the new gasket into place from the outside?
Old 07-04-2017, 07:05 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by SS RRR
Since the gasket is rubber, why not drop the pan and work the new gasket into place from the outside?
That's pretty much what I was saying. In my case the pan would not come out the car but did lower with enough room to slide the gasket around the pan to put it in place.
Old 07-05-2017, 11:43 AM
Staging Lane

What a ******* pain in the ***. So there is 3 washers left on from the previous oil gasket. Front passenger and both rears. Front one I ended up just cutting off since the oil pan will not drop far enough for me. The back 2 seems like a bigger problem now. Oil pan still doesnt drop far enough and I have way less room to get something to cut the washers off.......Ive probably spent way more time messing with this car then driving it
Old 07-05-2017, 12:43 PM
Village Troll

Received 517 Likes on 373 Posts

Originally Posted by LT1Bird97
Oil pan still doesnt drop far enough and I have way less room to get something to cut the washers off.......Ive probably spent way more time messing with this car then driving it
Have you backed out the k-member bolts at all? If you have the engine secure it's only a few more bolts to either lower or drop the k-member altogether.
Old 07-05-2017, 01:27 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

the washers should come off without much effort. Maybe use a gasket scraper or putty knife to "pry" them down off the stud

I know there is very little room doing the drop the pan a little method but once the washers are off wipe the block and pan surface as best you can with acetone before putting on new pan gasket...and use RTV on the front and rear "curved parts and run it about 1" further where the block flattens out
Old 07-05-2017, 03:18 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by SS RRR
Have you backed out the k-member bolts at all? If you have the engine secure it's only a few more bolts to either lower or drop the k-member altogether.
Thanks that gave me the extra 1/4 inch to get them off. Got the 4 corners on the oil pan together with rtv, its already 100 degree's here so im gonna have to finish up either tonight or tomorrow. Hoping for no more leaks after I get it all tightened up.
Old 07-06-2017, 12:15 PM
Staging Lane

no leaks so far. Need to wait for my EGR block off plate for my headers to fix the exhaust leak, and the hose into the right side of the water pump gets a little larger once the coolant heats up. Not sure if theres still air in the system or I just need to replace that hose. Gotta get to it before it blows on me. Valve train is still a lot noisier then Im used to but a few people so far have told me it sounds good

Quick Reply: pretty sure I messed up my oil pan gasket install....