LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

I Guess I'm Getting Older

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2017, 10:04 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default I Guess I'm Getting Older

After reading some other post and while formulating a response, I realized that my views and opinions had changed significantly over the years regarding vehicles and racing. While trying to attribute this change to some specific event, I came to the conclusion that I have simply aged and have a larger pool of life experience to draw from.

Case in point:
As a young guy (wont call myself a man at that point) of around 22, the street racing scene was all I cared about. This was in the late 90's, early 2000's before street racing became a Class A or B misdemeanor and all you had to do was pay a ticket and be on your way(42 of them over a 3 year period to be precise). My social life revolved around street racing, my friends were all street racers, and most nights of the week were spent in my garage working on the car, trying to replace, repair, or upgrade something that required my efforts. Street racers were the only true racers in my mind, and that mindset was infallible to any outside logic. I literally wanted to be street racing, working on the car, or sleeping, there was no in between. Every minute, every dime, every drop of sweat went into my lifestyle/hobby. I used to drive to work daily (20+ miles) with drag radials on a car that had no reason to be wearing drag radials. I would get maybe 7k miles out of them before having to get a new pair but I look back thinking I maybe would get one race per set of tires, but it didn't matter because I was a "street racer", haha. I was throwing money down the drain but I didnt care. If it wasn't a V8, you were a poser. If it wasn't NA, you were weak. If it wasnt GM, you suck. If you didn't race on the street you were a wet-fuzzy.

I created so many stupid and irrational concepts that I arranged in my head to fit an image of what I thought was right or wrong without ever realizing that it was ALL wrong. Street racing was dumb then and its dumb now, but like myself at that age you wont convince any street racer otherwise, especially the young zealots. They are living in their "moment" and cant see outside of it because they don't have any views from the outside yet. That's ok though. We all go through that age where we cling to something, rational or not, and I wouldn't try to take those moments from anybody. They are what helps shape you and sometimes those passions alone will lead you in a direction that you never expected and can shape you into a very successful individual in other areas of life. With that being said, I'm sure most of us still dance with the devil on occasion but as you age you start to realize how silly, dangerous, and downright stupid it can be. Nothing done on the street can't be done better at the track, and nothing done on the street can't be done safer at the track. It takes time to realize that.

Now that I'm in my late thirties with a wife, 2 kids, an almost paid off mortgage, vehicle payments, and more responsibilities than I can manage at times, I realize just how silly, over zealous, and downright stupid I was. I now look at vehicles and judge them based on MPG as opposed to MPH and I'm more concerned with factory warranty than I am with power under the curve. I have had one ticket in the past 14 years and cringe when I think about insurance rates when my son is old enough to drive. Fast cars become toys to play with in that free time that you get for a day or two every other month or so between your kids baseball and softball games. What was once a passion has now turned into an on-again-off-again hobby that brings back the occasional memory when I bust a knuckle. I find that I would rather sit around turning wrenches and drinking a beer with buddies while laughing about the horribly stupid things we did in the "old days", instead of trying to duplicate them. Most of those memories are good, still fresh, and bring more smiles and laughs than anything we would be stupid enough to try now. I enjoy laughing about them more than I ever would enjoy doing them again, and I am fine with that. I think its because I have experienced enough of it to see beyond that immediate satisfaction and realize the inherent and entirely unnecessary risk associated with it. Hell, I dunno, maybe it really boils down to the simple fact that I'm getting older.

Thoughts...?
Old 07-21-2017, 10:29 AM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There are bold drivers, and there are old drivers. There are no old bold drivers.

Been saying that for 30 years, got it from my Dad. I'm 49, just bought 2 97 TA's in the last 2 years. making a total of 7 I've owned since 1987. Yea, you slow down. I still very much turning a wrench and going fast. Enjoy the hobby, I found each decade it changes for me. My daughter is 27 and I too gave up doing much for a lot of years. What came with experience is realizing it is not all about me. Enjoy the kids as much as possible. I recommend never turning away from the hobby.
Old 07-21-2017, 11:13 AM
TECH Regular

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Well, I wouldn't consider this change you have made as something to mourn over. I am in my early thirties and considering my daily driver being a '97 WS6, I don't race her, and after a few years being an 18-wheeler truck driver, I certainly drive her like I am hauling 80,000 lbs of weight on a 53 ft. trailer!, with the exception of highway on ramps where I use them to get up to speed quite quickly with no traffic ahead of me.

When I was in my twenties, and my brain seemingly low I.Q., I spent lots of money just throwing on aftermarket parts with the illusion I was gaining more horsepower but really doing harm to my factory motor, and spending money on goofy cosmetic upgrades that I thought looked cool but made my Trans Am look a ricer in a sense.

Now, being older, going to college, and realizing what my passion is for my Trans Am, I just want to improve her "street performance", which means improving engine performance around the limits of fuel economy, since I plan on holding on to my now remanufactured LT1 motor. I am tying to figure out how I want to build the motor of my Trans Am for the plan to get her resto-modded with a few 21st century cosmetic and technological features.

Plus, if I can afford it, I will be running her daily with straight Iso-Butanol alcohol fuel, rated at 102 octane. This is purely for better emissions and purely for bragging rights, to get my own snub nosing in on electric cars and hybrids. So, this move would permit me to increase the compression ratio on my LT1 for additional low end power and possible fuel economy gains, which is an added bonus of butanol fuel, on top of burning cleaner with no engine deposits. So, if I can tie this into a custom Crane 227 styled cam, emissions may not even be a factor now, improved power with fuel economy limits, with 1.6 rockers to improve vacuum, valve-train parts built like a tank for street driving, and the necessary PCM dynotune to maximize these modifications, I should have myself a respectable 5.7L LT1 that makes me happy cruising around town without the need to show off!

After being a truck driver, and since my T-56 is definitely in no shape to race, I don't mind driving 55-60mph on the expressway anymore. Plus, the way others drive, nearly getting me involved in their accidents, you don't have the luxury to pretend you are Dominic Toretto when I have seen cars slam into each other with ease because someone was not paying attention nearly 99% of that time...
Old 07-21-2017, 11:42 AM
11 Second Club

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Good read man. The more you live the more you learn! Take it easy brother.
Old 07-21-2017, 02:33 PM
11 Second Club

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by SoFla01SSLookinstok
Good read man. The more you live the more you learn! Take it easy brother.
This^^^
Old 07-22-2017, 10:33 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just cause were getting older dont mean that we cant still wrench on our cars and drive them around and make a few trips to the track
Old 07-22-2017, 10:43 PM
Staging Lane

im young and a bit scared to race on the street because of the consequences...not only felonys and laws but a couple months ago some guy got cut off by some street racers at 3 A.M coming home from work, went under a semi and cut his head off....
Old 07-23-2017, 09:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Makes sense to me. When you age you realize you are not invincible, and all the dangers of street racing. Huge tickets, increased insurance prices.
Racing is best done at the dragstrip in a much safer controlled environment.
Nothing wrong with having a hotrod on the street though, cruising with that beautiful rumble out the back, accelerating hard out of corners and from stop signs.
It's just not the place to risk running over a person when you are 70mph over the speed limit and getting a felony for manslaughter. Let's face it, There are entirely to many idiots that will walk right out onto the road without even looking, and lets not even talk about those bicyclist who ride in the middle of the road. Can you say death wish?
Old 07-23-2017, 10:08 AM
FormerVendor

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Default Off Road Racing

Hi Gangly, I too observe this with many friends reporting the same in CA.

My observation : Men get older/richer with Race Blood pumping until they die.
My method was to race Vintage Class AND BAJA "Off Road" races.

NOW : I'm almost 65 Years old with MY races across the pool competing with my TWO Golden Retrievers finishing one/two and me LAST.

Those Dogs do "love" a win !

Lance
Old 07-24-2017, 12:13 AM
On The Tree

I am probably one of the younger guys on the LT1 section, fresh out of high school and getting ready to start aviation maintenance school August 28th. Like Bobby said above, I usually refrain from street racing. I've been in a few but I've realized what the consequences are and what some of the dangers involve. BUT I still love going out to the meets on Friday and Saturday nights then heading out to "mexico" to spectate and hang out with all of my buddies. I've met some of my best friends that way, I wouldn't have it any other way. As for my car, its got a mild cam, bolt on parts, a shift kit and stall converter. I'm pretty content with it, and I even get decent gas mileage on the high way if I keep my foot out of it.
Old 07-24-2017, 11:39 AM
Village Troll

Received 517 Likes on 373 Posts

The older I get the more IDGAF about performance. Where my car is at performance wise now and being able to simply drive around with all functioning amenities is good enough for me. Just installed a blue tooth stereo with phone mic and am happy I can carry on a hands free conversation at 80mph.
Old 07-24-2017, 12:04 PM
8 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SS RRR
The older I get the more IDGAF about performance. Where my car is at performance wise now and being able to simply drive around with all functioning amenities is good enough for me. Just installed a blue tooth stereo with phone mic and am happy I can carry on a hands free conversation at 80mph.
Finally have a 4th gen with A/C and its almost stock, I drive it more than any modified car I've had.
Old 07-24-2017, 01:29 PM
TECH Resident

Im getting to that point too. I'm happiest when everything on the car works. I've capped up exhaust, went back to OEM parts, reinstalled emissions equipment, just to have a functioning, quiet, enjoyable ride. I open things back up on occasion if I get bored, but I am far more impressed by a properly functioning, quiet, enjoyable ride. Cruising down the street in the Trans Am is far more enjoyable when the wife actually wants to ride in it instead of complaining about riding in the noisy, smelly, shaking machine lol.
Old 07-24-2017, 02:12 PM
TECH Addict

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Gangly
Im getting to that point too. I'm happiest when everything on the car works. I've capped up exhaust, went back to OEM parts, reinstalled emissions equipment, just to have a functioning, quiet, enjoyable ride. I open things back up on occasion if I get bored, but I am far more impressed by a properly functioning, quiet, enjoyable ride. Cruising down the street in the Trans Am is far more enjoyable when the wife actually wants to ride in it instead of complaining about riding in the noisy, smelly, shaking machine lol.
This. I don't think she believes me but I enjoy my car WAY more when my wife is with me. But my goal is to make mine noisy and shaky, lol. I don't want it obnoxious though. ANd it sounds like a cam with no cats = smelly, right?
Old 07-24-2017, 05:03 PM
TECH Resident

At the time it was an untuned H/C car with a blown out (completely hollow) cat and an exhaust dump.

It got pretty rank on the inside at stop lights, especially when I was running without the rubber transmission tunnel cover and without the center console. I could look over and see pavement while driving down the road and burnouts were horrendous on the eyes and nose. I loved it then, but I'm not sure how I never passed out while driving, I guess I got lucky lol.
Old 07-25-2017, 09:56 AM
Village Troll

Received 517 Likes on 373 Posts

Originally Posted by fex77k
Finally have a 4th gen with A/C and its almost stock, I drive it more than any modified car I've had.
LOL. I kind of look at mine like an active museum piece over yonder in the dinosaur section.
Old 07-25-2017, 11:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

im not getting any younger, i still like driving a hundo with my hair on fire. somedays i feel like taking a home equity loan to make my car pop wheelies but i know i'll just end up in jail. at some point you have to be happy & enjoy what you have. cheers! now get out there & burn a rubber road to freedom.
Old 07-25-2017, 03:21 PM
On The Tree

the been there done that syndrome.

never had a fast car. i was a grocery bagger in highschool when the nostrils of doom 02 WS6 came out. how the hell was i to afford that? i had an 89 integra that i bitched about paying too much for insurance on. now that i have a fast...ish car, i want to make it faster. not to street race though. i have nothing to prove to no one. i just wanna go fast.

my drop off is that "want to" to explore. ive seen different lands, and met different cultures. ive watched iraqi kids punch each other over pop tarts, poked fun at german security guards, and do you know what pisses Japanese nationals off the most? speak Spanish at them.

i have no desire to wander or see the world. i just wanna be left alone. im only 31, but im ready to scream "get the hell off my property!".
Old 07-25-2017, 04:03 PM
Teching In

I share many of the same thoughts/observations. With age, comes wisdom....I like to tell myself that. In the meantime, my obsession with going fast has waned faster than I imagined it ever would...thus I began parting out my toy this weekend. Who's to say what I replace it with...time will tell.
Old 07-25-2017, 09:23 PM
8 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SS RRR
LOL. I kind of look at mine like an active museum piece over yonder in the dinosaur section.
I left the LT1 game for a few years now I have two 95's one stock and one not.

Quick Reply: I Guess I'm Getting Older