LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Lt1 throttle body disassembly

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2017, 09:15 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Lt1 throttle body disassembly

I am looking to completly dissasemble my throttle body so I can polish it up and bore it out to 52mm. I would like to take out the shaft that holds the blades. I'm having trouble getting the retaining clip out. What tool am u supposed to use? Here's some pictures

Retaining clip

Old 09-01-2017, 09:17 PM
TECH Apprentice

Also going to shorten those screws and maybe make the shaft and blades thinner. I work at a machine shop and have acess to proper tooling, doing that work to increase. But mainly doing a nice polish job on it
Old 09-05-2017, 06:56 AM
TECH Addict

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

I believe the aluminum case is pinched/pressed down onto that washer. You can see the 4 tabs holding it in. You may have to grind those tabs out to remove the retaining washer. Not sure how you get it back in though.
Old 09-12-2017, 10:29 PM
Launching!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I´ve bored several LT1 Throttle bodies to 52mm and have gone thru disassembling them.
You have to grind the tabs holding the steel retaining washer that holds the throttle shaft in place.
Then you have to remove the throttle blade screws. First you have to grind the protruding ends off the screws or you will strip the threads.
Next remove the throttle blades.
After that you can push the throttle shaft axially in order to get the retaining washer out of its bore and remove it.
You can then remove the throttle shaft.

To reassemble and keep the retining washer in place I drilled a small hole on the washer itself and tapped a 3mm hole on the throttle body. Used a small button head socket screw to keep it in place.
Old 09-14-2017, 08:23 PM
TECH Apprentice

can you elaborate on how to remove the retaining ring? grind where exactly, and on the reassembly did you tap the hole through the diameter so that the threads of the screw kept the ring from falling out?
Old 09-15-2017, 07:55 AM
Launching!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by smitty2919
I believe the aluminum case is pinched/pressed down onto that washer. You can see the 4 tabs holding it in. You may have to grind those tabs out to remove the retaining washer. Not sure how you get it back in though.
This is exactly what you have to do. There is no retaining ring holding the retaining washer in place.
Attached Thumbnails Lt1 throttle body disassembly-throttle-body.jpg  

Last edited by RGSS; 09-15-2017 at 08:10 AM.

Quick Reply: Lt1 throttle body disassembly