LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

All new parts but still 0 fuel pressure?

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2017, 03:58 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post All new parts but still 0 fuel pressure?

Hi friends

I hope you're all doing very well.

So I was cruising on the freeway yesterday loving life when suddenly my 93 TA just completely shut off. It didn't sputter or anything, just suddenly died. She did let off a pretty nasty backfire after she stalled though. My first thought was it's either the optispark or fuel pump - both of which were replaced 3 months ago.

After having it towed home, I hooked up a fuel pressure gauge and it read 0 at KOEO, and also while trying to start. Since I have a lifetime warranty on the pump (and a convenient trap door) I swapped it out and it still read 0.

3 months ago I replaced the fuel pump, optispark, fuel injectors, fuel pressure regulator, fuel filter and spark plugs.

Is it possible for an optispark failure to cause 0 fuel pressure? I read somewhere that the fuel system becomes inoperable if the optispark fails in a certain way.

Thank you so much
Old 09-23-2017, 04:41 PM
Staging Lane

How are your ground wires? When I replaced my motor my grounds were fairly loose. Car completely died once and I lost all electronics, it turned out to be a wire on the alternator loose. Another time my car completely died like you said yours did and it turned out to be a ground wire for the coil.
Old 09-23-2017, 04:47 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

if you have zero oil pressure...the pcm shuts off fuel

I would pay close attention to the wiring to your "new" fuel pump

see if you get 12vdc with key on

opti should not cause no fuel pressure....although the "backfire" is often associated with a dead Opti...but again a dead opti will not kill fuel pressure
Old 09-23-2017, 06:29 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Your new pump may be wired backwards.
Old 09-24-2017, 04:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

first question is the fuel pump priming? if it is priming you should have fuel pressure. possibilities of zero psi is clogged filter or a pinched line. a friend of mine took his car in the shop and when they put the car on the hoist the plastic mounting point pinched a line causing low 0 to low psi.
Old 09-24-2017, 07:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 95 Likes on 84 Posts

Fuel pump relay could of taken a crap as well. It's in the drivers kick panel, the ground is controlled by the ECM.

http://shbox.com/1/4th_gen_tech2.htm...essure_testing
Old 09-27-2017, 05:52 PM
Teching In

LT1Bird97, ******, 96lt1m6, 95mysticta, biketopia -

Thank you so much for all the great info.

You won't believe this (or maybe you will) but Autozone rented me a BROKEN fuel pressure gauge. I rented another from a different store and my fuel pressure was perfect.

I ended up narrowing it down to the Ignition Control Module. Replaced it and she started right up.

It feels so good to have the bird back. My Mercury Sable just doesn't give me the same thrill

Thanks again fellas - I appreciate it very much.
Old 09-28-2017, 07:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 95 Likes on 84 Posts

Glad you got it going, and thanks for coming back and updating your thread. Too many times cars are fixed and no one knows how, might help a person in the future.
Old 09-28-2017, 01:58 PM
Village Troll

Received 517 Likes on 373 Posts

Originally Posted by Zyzz
You won't believe this (or maybe you will) but Autozone rented me a BROKEN fuel pressure gauge. I rented another from a different store and my fuel pressure was perfect.
There have been times I've put my gauge on the Schraeder and it will show zero fuel pressure. Have to screw it on just right sometimes...
Old 09-28-2017, 02:54 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

OP

so the "rented" FP gauge was crap in the beginning so you replaced fuel pump based on the 0 FP reading...ouch

well at least you found the issue and good you posted so others searching will see wtf your issue was

IMHO if you own one of these 20+ year old cars and want to FIO why there are issues....having a FP gauge in the tool box is needed. I bought the HyperTech one many years ago but I see now they have more than doubled in $ but still it or one like it should be in your tool box to immediately rule in/out fuel as a issue to whatever the "my car won't start, just shut off, runs like crap" issues.
Old 09-28-2017, 03:32 PM
Teching In

Thanks guys and yes - I'm definitely going to invest in one

Quick Reply: All new parts but still 0 fuel pressure?