LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

fuel pump prime / cold start

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2017, 07:57 PM
TECH Regular

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default fuel pump prime / cold start

On my 1997 Formula, the fuel pump prime seems to be high pitched for a split second before it sounds normal. I then have to hold the key in the start position for a full second before it fires up (used to be a half second cranking). Any ideas before I start guessing again? Already had the fuel pump replaced 5 years ago....could it be the fuel pressure regulator? I guess I should probably hook a fuel pressure gauge to it (or worst case, take it to a shop only to be told nothing is wrong even though I am sure something is wrong as it has not done this before). Thanks!

Car has 38000 miles, and other than the weird initial pump noise, the car runs awesome...
Old 10-10-2017, 08:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 62 Likes on 44 Posts

put a gauge on the schrader valve on the back of the intake. cycle the key on and off and watch the gauge. basically if you can watch the needle drop rather fast, then the regulator is bad. this would cause the prolonged start
Old 10-10-2017, 08:45 PM
TECH Regular

I'll see if I can try that. If it turns out to be a bad regulator how hard are they to replace (it seems really tight back there so to me it looks impossible).
Old 10-10-2017, 08:47 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1,786 Likes on 1,293 Posts

Isn't the fuel pressure regulator on the fuel pump assembly.
Old 10-10-2017, 09:27 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeff 97 Formula
On my 1997 Formula,

I guess I should probably hook a fuel pressure gauge to it Thanks!

We can't tel from this side of the internet.

Get a fuel pressure gauge. They are around $50. It just screws on to the Schrader valve on the back of your fuel rail. Right next to the Fuel pressure regulator. Fuel pressure should immediately snap to around 38 PSI when you turn on the key. If it bleeds off after you shut key off no big deal. As long as it holds fuel pressure when engine is running and does not drop while accelerating.

after you shut off engine pull the small rubber elbow off the fuel pressure regulator and check to see if there is any signs of fuel in it. If so FPR is bad.

Originally Posted by 01CamaroSSTx
Isn't the fuel pressure regulator on the fuel pump assembly.
OP has a LT1 car. FPR is on fuel rail, rear.
Old 10-12-2017, 08:44 PM
TECH Regular

I know it's rough to diagnose over the internet. I tried to give as much detail as possible to see if anyone has encountered this before.

Today I tried priming 3 times before starting. Only the first prime sounded abnormal with the high pitch. 2nd and 3rd primesbsounded normal but the cold start still took a good second of cranking before it fires up. Once running, no sputtering or anything, car runs smooth at idle and strong when moderate to WOT, never runs rough or stalls.

I was thinking maybe there is a leak somewhere but I don't smell any gas in my garage where my car stays when not in use.

I may just take it to the dealer and see if they can thoroughly check the fuel system (maybe there is a leak I am unaware of).
Old 10-18-2017, 07:40 PM
TECH Regular

Took it to the dealer, they couldn't replicate on a warm engine.

They kept it overnight so they can replicate a "first thing in the morning" cold start.....and they say it's the fuel pump.

What causes these pumps to prematurely go bad?
Old 10-18-2017, 08:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 62 Likes on 44 Posts

I'll see if I can try that. If it turns out to be a bad regulator how hard are they to replace (it seems really tight back there so to me it looks impossible).
it is pretty tight but not too bad. need a fuel line disconnect tool. disconnect the feed and return lines on the right of the intake in the back. 4, 8 mm bolts holding the fuel rail one. remove the vacuum line on the regulator and unplug the injector plugs. before you take the fuel rail off, blow air around the fuel rail to keep dirt from getting in the injector holes. pop the fuel rail off. gonna need some force to dislodge the seals on the injectors. pull it out and you will see the regulator on the back of the fuel rail. 2 torx screws hold the regulator on.

saw your post about the dealership. be cautious because they might just say its the pump not really knowing how to trouble shoot these motors. they most likely will hit you with a huge quote for replacing the pump
Old 10-19-2017, 04:19 PM
Village Troll

Received 517 Likes on 373 Posts

What causes these pumps to prematurely go bad?
Is the fuel pump encased in a fuel pump bucket?
Old 10-20-2017, 02:37 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by SS RRR
Is the fuel pump encased in a fuel pump bucket?
Not sure. It was originally done at a dealer which I assume used a GM part.
Old 10-20-2017, 03:17 PM
Village Troll

Would be worth checking out. If the fuel pump bucket is not used then the life of the pump is guaranteed to be shortened.
Old 10-21-2017, 05:02 PM
TECH Regular

New pump installed, failed during road test!

What gives???
Old 10-23-2017, 12:08 PM
Village Troll

Details? How did it fail?
Old 10-23-2017, 02:21 PM
TECH Veteran

New pump installed, failed during road test!

What gives???
If you are not doing this work yourself you don't really know WTF a service shop did. Yeah they put in a "new" pump and sent the car on its way if it started.

You may have a "intermittent" wiring issue to the pump that now may be permanent which is easier to track

A DVM would help in tracing voltage to pump to confirm it is getting power.

Confirm FP relay is good and check to see if any signs of the pins of the relay are not burnt

you say it "failed" while driving. I assume you checked fuel pressure to determine this, right?
Old 10-24-2017, 11:44 PM
TECH Regular

Unfortunately I don't have details as to why the new pump failed. It happened when the dealer was road testing the car after installation so I have to wait for them to investigate and provide better details.

One possible cause they told me is because I am not driving it enough. They questioned the gas I've been using (BP Ultimate 93....every time).
Old 10-25-2017, 10:50 AM
BTC
TECH Fanatic

Location: Lansing, MI via Bowling Green, KY, Dalton GA, Nashville, TN & Atlanta, GA
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Are you the original owner? Any idea what kind of shape your gas tank is in?

My car sat in a garage for several years with no prep and wasn't driven. When I pulled it out of storage, I had to replace, among many other things, the fuel pump. I just bought a replacement at an autoparts store and I'm sure it wasn't an OEM pump. It failed prematurely. I attributed that failure to my gas tank being full of rust, which I learned after the fact upon closer inspection. Whether or not that was actually the cause, I have no idea. It may have just been a bad pump. I replaced the failed pump with an AC/Delco, and also replaced the gas tank at the same time. Many years later my car still isn't being driven, but the AC/Delco pump is still working.
Old 10-25-2017, 08:46 PM
TECH Regular

I'm the original owner. The shop did say the gas smelled old when they dropped the tank (not sure how...I gassed up less than a month ago).
Old 10-31-2017, 06:12 PM
TECH Regular

Car is back.....better than ever!!!!!

But -- with the new fuel pump and level sending unit (all built into one unit), cones an inaccurate fuel gauge. When the tank is full, the gauge is between 3/4 and F. Same thing with the last replacement fuel pump.

Also, is it normal to smell gas from the rear after it was just running?
Old 11-01-2017, 02:19 PM
TECH Veteran

most "shops" just slap parts in as fast as they can. Time=$....although they will bill for book rate but try and do the job as fast as possible,

The "float" lever may need to be bent some to correspond with your gauge.
Old 11-01-2017, 06:18 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by ******
most "shops" just slap parts in as fast as they can. Time=$....although they will bill for book rate but try and do the job as fast as possible,

The "float" lever may need to be bent some to correspond with your gauge.
Damnit! I even brought this gas gauge thing to their attention while they were waiting for the new pump and they pretty much told me "sorry, but there's nothing that can be done about it, you will have to live with it, it's normal, etc".

What about moving the needle on the actual gauge?

Last edited by Jeff 97 Formula; 11-01-2017 at 06:28 PM.

Quick Reply: fuel pump prime / cold start