LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Starting Freshly rebuilt engine without coolant!

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2017, 11:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starting Freshly rebuilt engine without coolant!

So months ago when my father in law and I were done building my sbc .060 over, he decided to start my engine WITHOUT COOLANT for MORE THAN a minute! about 4 or 5 mins. ("just to see if engine was working fine") There wasn't any signs of engine being cooked up, did not catch on fire, no explosions, was really hot though. Is there any chances that HE might of damaged my engine? (internally)
Old 12-27-2017, 11:19 AM
Village Troll

Received 517 Likes on 373 Posts

If there's going to be any damage your valves/pistons/cylinder walls may be scored. You can get that cheap mini camera that uses a phone app to stick into the cylinders to see if anything is damaged.
Old 12-27-2017, 01:27 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

running the motor for a minute would not hurt.....5 min you could have crossed the line. Not something I have ever done on a new motor. I always have coolant in it and monitor motor/exhaust with a temp gun and watch the temp and oil gauge

Obviously coolant won't enter a new motor until T stat opens which takes a minute or two...I know some guys initially start motor with no stat just to have water circulating

Cheapest way to "see" if there was any cyl scuff would be to buy one of those HF video probe cameras and go through spark plug hole or if motor is on stand pull pan...maybe all is OK
Old 12-27-2017, 02:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ******
running the motor for a minute would not hurt.....5 min you could have crossed the line. Not something I have ever done on a new motor. I always have coolant in it and monitor motor/exhaust with a temp gun and watch the temp and oil gauge

Obviously coolant won't enter a new motor until T stat opens which takes a minute or two...I know some guys initially start motor with no stat just to have water circulating

Cheapest way to "see" if there was any cyl scuff would be to buy one of those HF video probe cameras and go through spark plug hole or if motor is on stand pull pan...maybe all is OK
Thanks for the info. I think I might be safe. well at least that's my last hope.
Old 12-27-2017, 09:29 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by nova78
was really hot though. Is there any chances that HE might of damaged my engine? (internally)
how hot was "really hot"?

Was water temp pegged or did you use a IR temp gun while first starting motor?

You could spend $75 on one of those inspection cameras or just put fluids in and fire it up. If oil pressure is good and no knocks or weird sounds you should be fine
Old 12-27-2017, 11:25 PM
TECH Addict

Received 130 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by ******
....Was water temp pegged or did you use a IR temp gun while first starting motor?.....
Would've been a false reading anyway with no water/coolent in the radiator.

But like you stated.....4/5 minutes wasn't/isn't gonna hurt the engine parts.....although I would change the oil as a precaution.

KW

Quick Reply: Starting Freshly rebuilt engine without coolant!