LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Whipple LT1 Idea

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2017, 12:41 PM
TECH Resident

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Whipple LT1 Idea

In my quest for more power, and reading my thread about going solid roller, I have another idea...

So first off, I know people have thought about making a positive displacement style supercharger work on the LT1 and a few have even made them with custom made/machined intakes, or remote mounted the blower.

My idea is would be to use a SBC Whipple intake with intercooler, and modifying it to work on the LT1/4, which I would think would be the same as converting a SBC intake to the LT1? Then to use the rear pulley setup with throttle body on the front of the supercharger. Obviously this would require a non-stock hood, but I have a taller than stock hood already and don't mind trimming the cowl. I would assume that this would be the easiest/cheapest way to do a Whipple LT1. Thoughts, input, info from those who have attempted this? This isn't a near term goal for the car, but it is a long-term (2-3 years) goal and I think should be doable?
Old 11-20-2017, 08:34 AM
TECH Addict

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

https://ls1tech.com/forums/lt1-lt4-m...lower-lt1.html

http://www.corneltechweb.com/superchargerweb.htm

Link to Whipple SBC kit that is NOT carb setup?

Last edited by smitty2919; 11-20-2017 at 10:37 AM.
Old 11-20-2017, 11:10 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by smitty2919
Yeah the corneltechweb site and other link are the ones I've seen before. I want to do a rear pulley, front opening setup though like the LS kits are. As far as the Whipple SBC kit that is not a carb setup, just change out the blower unit for a front intake unit instead of top intake unit and add injector openings and it would then be a non-carb setup.
Old 11-20-2017, 11:26 AM
TECH Addict

My next step is to start printing certain Eaton/Whipple body+snout dimensional layouts so mockup on a spare motor can begin.
Old 11-20-2017, 09:17 PM
TECH Addict

You could also look into adapting the Magnuson TVS2300 LS1 kit.
Old 11-20-2017, 10:32 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by smitty2919
You could also look into adapting the Magnuson TVS2300 LS1 kit.
That kit with a custom lower intake for an LT1 might work. However, I want to run an intercooler so it will raise the height a bit. Its nothing I'm starting on anytime soon, just getting the idea together now, so maybe I can piece together some of the parts along the way.
Old 11-21-2017, 10:21 AM
Man-Crush Warning

Received 119 Likes on 88 Posts

Other than the cool aspect to it, gotta ask, why?

A side slinger would be easier and better able to control IAT's
Old 11-21-2017, 10:36 AM
TECH Addict

Cool factor is 80% why I would do it, but it would cost at least twice as a DYI turbo system.

Not many people have completed one so to say you have a roots blower on a LT1 is nice. But once you talk about efficiency/power potential/packaging/cost compared to turbo, it's hard to stick with the roots setup.

For my needs for autocross and road racing, a roots will give off some heat unless properly intercooled. Which brings you to a packaging issue. Next, almost everything will be custom machined/welded. A turbo would suit me better as there is only piping fabrication and some brackets to fab up but I would be looking at a rear mount as to keep some weight off the nose of an already nose heavy LT1 car.

Adding a turbo housing (weight) under the trunk on passenger side would be beneficial from a corner balancing aspect. Same idea relocating battery to that area.
Old 11-21-2017, 12:52 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Shownomercy
Other than the cool aspect to it, gotta ask, why?

A side slinger would be easier and better able to control IAT's
Well that is one aspect of it, the uniqueness of it. Also, a positive displacement blower has a broader power range than a centrifugal, it makes boost instantly as opposed to just top end, and you also don't have the issue of boost creep in the intake as much as you do with a centrifugal or turbo setup, so no BOV needed. I don't want to go roots either, I want to do a twin-screw, they are more efficient, actually compress the air, and run a lot cooler than a roots. A TVS roots is closer in efficiency to a twin-screw though, so that is an option B, if I don't end up doing twin-screw. Actually, with a twin-screw and E85, I probably wouldn't need an intercooler, but I want to keep IAT as low as possible. Plus, I like the whine of a twin-screw/positive displacement blower too.
Old 11-21-2017, 01:07 PM
Man-Crush Warning

Received 119 Likes on 88 Posts

Fair enough.

Not sure what you mean by boost creep, but I suppose if you do not have total control of the system it would creep at WOT on you.

You could always overwork a larger blower and use a gate on the cold side with a boost controller to always have solid boost at lower RPM.

That being said, a TVS would be pretty friggen sweet to see under the hood.
Old 12-14-2017, 12:09 PM
TECH Addict

I suspect a under worked twin screw and meth would do the trick
Old 12-27-2017, 08:56 AM
TECH Addict

Biggest issue will be the cowl. If you want to run a intercooler and a front inlet with jack screw, then you WILL be cutting into the cowl A LOT and most likely losing the ability to use your wipers.

Intercooler will raise it about 1" but the jack screw will need to be above whatever injectors'fuel rail you will run. Which will raise it even more.

Quick Reply: Whipple LT1 Idea