LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

What to look at for upper rpm power loss? Opti? Coil?

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2017, 09:52 AM
12 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Puck
Honestly sounds like opti...does it happen both when hot and cold? If only when hot it could be the ICM overheating and spacing it from the head with washers may help.
I have 3 different ICMs, it does it with all of them.

Originally Posted by Puck
I see its stock heads but has the HG been changed? If its higher than stock compression dropping the plug gap to .035 may help - my tuner recommended it with a thinner HG even though I had an MSD coil since we run pretty high compression on these cars.

Trying to find a way to not blame the opti like everyone always does but in this case... .
Yes, head gaskets have been changed. I believe they were the impala head gaskets. I will try a smaller gap and see if it helps.

Originally Posted by NewOrleansLT1
Op, how I found the bad cylinder was I let the car get up to operating temp then took a water bottle and poked a pin hole in the cap.. I then skeeted water on each header primary until I found the one that didn’t sizzle.. My car even ran a 12.23 @110mph when it was in that condition on 7 cylinders lol.. Once I fixed the issues it when a sec faster and gained almost 10mph..
I've checked all the primaries with an infrared thermometer and they are all pretty close, but that was at idle. I'd love to pick up a mph or two in the 1/4. I'd really like to see it above 110 and in the low 12s.
​​​​
Old 12-09-2017, 12:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by fbody_brian
:The sound of the engine changes when this happens, but it is not super prominent and it's hard to describe, it's just different

Would you describe the sound as a clatter?
Old 12-09-2017, 05:21 PM
12 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Kevin97ss
Would you describe the sound as a clatter?
the sound gets more "buzzy", don't know that I would call it clatter.
I am going to swap the opti and get new plug wires.
A spare optispark can't be a bad thing​​​​​​.

I won't really have time to mess with it much until after the holiday​​​​​​s.
Old 12-10-2017, 10:48 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a very similar thing going on years back with a set up like yours. It ran similar numbers too, but would just hit a wall @ ~6200. Blowing the tire off in first it would just hang @6200 and not hit the limiter. At the track, top of second and third just before the 6400 shift point it would let out a clatter noise and nose over.

It turned out that the lifters were bleeding down. They were early comp R's, supposed good ones, touted as "anti pump up". Well they did not pump up but they would bleed down and fully collapse.

I don't know if this is your issue but it does sound similar.
Old 12-11-2017, 04:22 AM
12 Second Club

Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts

This sounds like the opti to me. I agree with getting a ryobi cheapo temp gun and shooting the primaries and see if 1 is cold, that's how I found I had a wire arcing out to a motor mount. Taylor 8.2mm wires are good and cheap, but I wouldn't jump to that yet. First try some dielectric grease on the plugs and see if that helps and reposition all wires away from metal, even moving them 1" farther in can stop an old spark path. When a wire arcs through the wire it creates a little carbon trail making it easier to arc out that spot, so moving them 1" can move that path away. The next step would be a new opti with loctite on the screws.

If a cam peaks at 5700, you should shift at 6500. Short winded rule of thumb is split the shift drop over the peak, so with a shift rpm drop of 2000rpm, it's 1000rpm over and falls to 1000 rpm under. Really it's about the torque at each rpm * the gear ratio of the trans, making the torque being applied to the rear end be equal before and after the shift knowing the gear ratio multiplying the output of the engine is less at the next gear, but without a dyno of that cam its harder to calculate, but on my stock cam which peaks at 5200 I shift at 6300 for best times.

Last edited by bufmatmuslepants; 12-11-2017 at 04:32 AM.
Old 12-11-2017, 08:33 AM
FormerVendor

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Default Coil Voltage

Hi Brian, thanks for your purchase.

I believe your Valve Float report is OK as you stated the 1.6 Rocker Arms made no change.
The Lifter "bleed" Tech could be possible with better knowledge gained when a specification of Spring Nose Pressure and Valve Weights are given ?

I would like you to measure your coil voltage at WOT 6K+ RPM with the New Opti ?

That report should be the same as your Battery Voltage.

Lance
Old 01-27-2018, 01:04 AM
11 Second Club

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

You ever figure this out? I'm missing 80 rwhp, hoping you might have the fix.
Old 01-31-2018, 07:01 PM
11 Second Club

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Just thought you'd like to know, It seems I've fixed a very similar problem by replacing the coil. I thought I had an MSD coil but after I got it off, I noticed it was a Streetfire (still made by MSD but is there budget brand). I replaced it with an MSD and noticed smoother idling and more power up top. My car has been down 80rwhp and I think this fixed it, though I haven't had it on a dyno yet.
Old 02-01-2018, 11:11 AM
FormerVendor

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Default H.O. Opti Coil

Hi All, I have both the OBD-1 AND OBD-II coil for distributed power ignition.
This is a higher than OEM output coil with faster charging good for increased RPM.
Primary = .28 Ohms
Secondary = 8.8K Ohms
Primary Inductance = 3.2mH
Turns Ratio = 134:1
Rated Voltage = 45KV +

Lance

Quick Reply: What to look at for upper rpm power loss? Opti? Coil?