LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Trans went out, need advice.

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2017, 09:20 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trans went out, need advice.

I have a 95 bird with a built LT motor. Has 400+ on motor and a 100 shot. Suspension is setup for the strip and the trans is a bte 700r4 that runs a 3500 stall bte converter. 3 months ago my converter seal went out and I sent it to Memphis to get rebuilt. Now 200 miles later the trans lost pressure and so I assume the trans shop messed up the adjustment on the tv cable. I'm learning as I go and this lesson isn't cheap.

thing is I'm torn about what to do next. Lots to consider here so I need help. I did not build the car nor did I tune or know how to tune it. I assume the 700 was used cause it don't have electronics but I hate to have a cable adjustment take out a multi thousand dollar trans. Guess u can say I feel vulnerable.

so I'd like to talk about the best way to financially put this thing back ii n service without breaking the bank. I could send it back to bte for a rebuild or i could put something else in. Would be nice for a trans to really be bullet proof like I thought this one was but a cable killed it. The cable was actually 2 parts heard together with a cable splice u clamp. Bad idea? Maybe they couldn't find a cable for it and had to make due?
I looked at a power glide but probably not a good idea. A 4l60e is going to need to be built. 4l80 may not work, plus the 4l trans might need to be tuned?? But I'd then have a working Speedo. Th400? Th350? Rebuild the 700? I'm lost as far as what direction to go and now I'm on a budget cause 200 miles ago I spent a total of $700 on a converter. Also if iij went with a different trans would said converter fit? Thanks
Old 12-26-2017, 08:29 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mysterybird did his 4l80e with excellent results

Quick Reply: Trans went out, need advice.