LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Driveline vibration 1996 Impala SS

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2018, 03:30 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Driveline vibration 1996 Impala SS

This may be a question better suited for a vehicle specific forum, but I'm looking for some wisdom here. I have an Impala SS with a pretty rough vibration under acceleration. It occurs right around 2000 rpm, and only when you get on it some. If you roll it and baby it, no issues. Once you're above about 2400 or so, smooth again. Anyone else have issues like this and can give an idea on what may be causing this? I have a few guesses and they include a bad driveshaft, pinion snub or yoke issues at the rear end, or possibly a torque converter about to give out. Not sure where to go other than that.

Any help would be appreciated.
Old 01-29-2018, 03:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

If the issue was with your rear end or driveshaft, that problem should present itself at certain speeds, not at a particular RPM. Because it seems to follow RPM and not speed, that leads me to believe it is related to your transmission. Have you checked your transmission mount? I don't know much about the signs of a dying torque converter, but hopefully that's not it.
Old 01-29-2018, 03:52 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

since the vibe happens when you "get on it" vs slowly rolling up the rpm you may have a "grounding" issue (exhaust hitting frame or x member) or worn motor and or trans mount

is the car lowered?
stock rear end gears?
extended rear control arms?
Old 01-29-2018, 07:14 PM
TECH Addict

Received 130 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by 96autoformula
........I have an Impala SS with a pretty rough vibration under acceleration. It occurs right around 2000 rpm, and only when you get on it some. If you roll it and baby it, no issues. Once you're above about 2400 or so, smooth again......
My first inclination is to blame torque converter locking and unlocking.....etc.

KW
Old 02-01-2018, 09:11 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We'll see what it is within a week or so. The backstory is that I just bought the car, with that issue already going on. The price was so low that even with a new trans put in it, I'm still well under the car's value. So I took a flyer and said what the hell.
And as an update, whenever it gets over 2100 rpm, I get the vibration and then it feels like the transmission just lets go. Let off it and get it back under 2000, and the converter locks back up and it's fine again. So I'm thinking converter or worse.

Quick Reply: Driveline vibration 1996 Impala SS