LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

383 rings for mild nitrous use

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2018, 10:56 AM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default 383 rings for mild nitrous use

I recently picked up my engine from the machine shop. It is a forged Eagle 3.75" crank and H beam rods with SRP forged 4.060 pistons. Block was already 4.030 and needed cleaning up. The block is machined for 4-bolt splayed mains. The top end consists of AFR 210cc heads, comp pro mag rockers, and a cam spec'd by LE.

The goal is 400+ RWHP through an A4 car on engine and I have a Nitrous Outlet plate kit. The car will likely never see any track time. It will be driven about 5k miles per year, mostly to cruise-ins and car shows. I want the ability to spray 200 - 225 through the plate kit reliably.

I had the machine shop do the block work, prep the rotating assembly, and install the crankshaft. I will be installing the pistons and all other components myself. I had provided them with JE ring part number J820F840605. This is their hardened nitrous ring package, which is what a rep recommended when I called them and provided by goals.

So I picked up everything from the machine shop and took it home. When I reviewed my invoice, I noticed they gave me (and charged the appropriate amount) lpm5523-060 rings: http://www.libertyperformance.com/pr...m-5523-060.php They were gapped at .021 for the top ring and .024 for the 2nd ring, which is the ring gap I provided to the machine shop. This is the gap that was recommended to me by JE for the J820F840605 rings.

I called JE back to see if I misunderstood or wrote down the wrong part #. When I talked to a different rep, he informed me poly rings will be fine for this setup. I also confirmed the JE part # above is their hardened rings for this setup. He further advised the nitrous rings cause more cylinder wear than poly. But with my application of ~5k miles per year, I don't think cylinder wear will be an issue for at least 10+ years so I'm not too concerned about it.

This leaves me with a few questions:
1. I can't find much information on Liberty Performance. For that reason alone, I think I'll scrap these rings and order a more established brand, unless I find information confirming I should keep them.
2. Is the additional ring wear due to nitrous rings really an issue for an engine that sees little track time and low miles?
3. Should I just get the standard JE/SRP poly rings and file fit per their specs? I don't want to be scared to spray a 200 shot always in fear if my rings will hold up.

Thanks,
PH
Old 03-19-2018, 05:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The 383 all forged shortblock I brought for my new turbo build had Hellfire rings in it and the engine hadn't been run but 30 minutes and the wear on the cylinder walls was evident.
I was taking the engine apart and having my engine builder go through it and he recommended I switch to Total Seal rings since my car like yours is more street with occasional track passes. I was told the Hellfire are for racing engine or engines that will be torn down often not for street type cars.
Old 03-19-2018, 07:06 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for your reply.

So should I use the rings I have or get another brand of poly rings?
Old 03-20-2018, 08:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Give Total Seal a call and tell them your setup and how much nitrous (max) you plan to spray and get their recommendation.