LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

rebuild or swap

Old 06-15-2018, 03:11 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts

I think it comes down to a reputable machinist when it come to the strength of the bottom end....that and obviously the components used. If it's an N/A set up it should be fine, but once you starting hitting it with spray, things change. I ran a nice 406 in my third gen years ago, 2 bolt block with stock crank and rods. The rotating assembly was balance and the car regularly saw 6000 rpm. The guy who built motor said he's never seen a 2 bolt block go unless it was a full race build or car running a lot of spray etc. Personally I think that if you are going to do an LS swap, don't waste your time on a 5.3.....6.0L are plentiful and you have a CID advantage right off the hop. If you stick with the LT platform, 383 with good cam and heads and 100 shot for when you need it.
Old 06-15-2018, 05:19 PM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by PARMY
I think it comes down to a reputable machinist when it come to the strength of the bottom end....that and obviously the components used. If it's an N/A set up it should be fine, but once you starting hitting it with spray, things change. I ran a nice 406 in my third gen years ago, 2 bolt block with stock crank and rods. The rotating assembly was balance and the car regularly saw 6000 rpm. The guy who built motor said he's never seen a 2 bolt block go unless it was a full race build or car running a lot of spray etc. Personally I think that if you are going to do an LS swap, don't waste your time on a 5.3.....6.0L are plentiful and you have a CID advantage right off the hop. If you stick with the LT platform, 383 with good cam and heads and 100 shot for when you need it.
naw, just N/A. no spray no FI, just all motor. the 5.3 would be turbo. the locals here have been workin me over. been doin a good job covincing me to anchor the LT1 and get a 5.3. dont really want to. rather keep this old ironsides and bore and stroke it. but if the caps cant handle 450 to the ground reliably like every damn day reliably, im not sinkin the money.
Old 06-15-2018, 05:36 PM
On The Tree

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

The LT1 is worth building.
I agree with the heads and cam recommendations, as well as possibly, a new rotating assembly.

Search this Thread