LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

1995 trans am and harrness with 95 Camaro lt1?

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2018, 08:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1995 trans am and harrness with 95 Camaro lt1?

I have a 95 Trans Am and I blew the motor, so I bought a motor out of a 94 Camaro and have it all installed but can't get it to run, it turns over, backfires and fire comes out of headers, my main question is there anything I have to change in order to run the the 95s ECU on a 94 motor? I know the opti Sparks are different but heard I can still use it with the 95s coil and pig tail.. really lost, the 94 had a m6 tranny but is now bolted to my 4l60 from the 95 if that makes any difference
Old 06-19-2018, 09:26 AM

Any help would be greatly appreciated
Old 06-19-2018, 08:29 PM
TECH Resident

Wiring 94-95 was the same. Sounds like you might has some wires crossed on the optispark. Can use a 94 opti spark as it was just the plug that changed. Transmission will not matter as the wiring harness,transmission and ecu are still set as an automatic. But sounds like a crossed spark plug wire. I would start there.
Old 06-19-2018, 08:59 PM

Originally Posted by 96Formula6spd
Wiring 94-95 was the same. Sounds like you might has some wires crossed on the optispark. Can use a 94 opti spark as it was just the plug that changed. Transmission will not matter as the wiring harness,transmission and ecu are still set as an automatic. But sounds like a crossed spark plug wire. I would start there.
Ill take another look I guess.. retraced them 3 times but am going to compression test it tommorow so I'll make sure there all in order again
Old 06-20-2018, 09:18 AM
Village Troll

Received 517 Likes on 373 Posts

Most likely some sort of timing issue. Check to see if fuel injectors are in their right ports as well.
Old 06-20-2018, 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by Joejr88
Ill take another look I guess.. retraced them 3 times but am going to compression test it tommorow so I'll make sure there all in order again
I was thinking k it was a timing issue as well from the fiffrendi Opti I'll see if injectiors are firing and check over plug order and compression tonight and just start narrowing it down possible issues and let you guys know what happens thanks
Old 06-26-2018, 10:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by 96Formula6spd
Agreed, no start issue is with ignition somewhere. True, the opti pigtail between spline drive on the 93-94 and 95-97 is different (pass. side of intake to opti), so you should be good, but those pigtails sometimes can be the issue with the opti side connection if it's a used part. Not telling you to go get a new one but examine the pins, clean them, test for continuity across all pins. Also, there is one important difference between 94 & 95 engine harnesses. Blue PCM connector pin D6 has a wire to pin U on the round connector on the transmission side to control the PWM solenoid (added in 95, 94 didn't have it). As long as you used the 95 harness from your own car, you're fine.
Old 06-26-2018, 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by Gojira94
Agreed, no start issue is with ignition somewhere. True, the opti pigtail between spline drive on the 93-94 and 95-97 is different (pass. side of intake to opti), so you should be good, but those pigtails sometimes can be the issue with the opti side connection if it's a used part. Not telling you to go get a new one but examine the pins, clean them, test for continuity across all pins. Also, there is one important difference between 94 & 95 engine harnesses. Blue PCM connector pin D6 has a wire to pin U on the round connector on the transmission side to control the PWM solenoid (added in 95, 94 didn't have it). As long as you used the 95 harness from your own car, you're fine.
The pigtail is in good shape however forgot to say when I connect the starter I did I back wards (put the pcm on the ground) do u think I could of fired somthsome?? And have to get a new pcm or have it reflashed/programed? Otherwise could it just be a bad Opti spark? Never heard the motor run with it or have proof that's it's still good I was thinking about getting a new one and just returning it if thats not the issue. Has good compression spark and injectiors are firing at a stand still and need it out of the garage soon
Old 06-28-2018, 11:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

You follow the procedures here yet?

http://shbox.com/1/4th_gen_tech2.html#opti_test

Quick Reply: 1995 trans am and harrness with 95 Camaro lt1?