LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

96 SS - High RPM (under load) Flutter/Missed

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2018, 10:38 AM
Village Troll

Received 517 Likes on 373 Posts

Originally Posted by 96SS_813
I hope I don’t have to do a LS swap on this car... I like the LS engine but I love the sound of my LT! Stay tune and than you for your input
I'm seriously contemplating a big cube N/A LS motor for mine. I'd bet the farm your opti is faulty. If you get your car on the rollers you will be able to tell if you're experiencing valve float.
Old 08-08-2018, 11:46 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SS RRR
I'm seriously contemplating a big cube N/A LS motor for mine. I'd bet the farm your opti is faulty. If you get your car on the rollers you will be able to tell if you're experiencing valve float.
I will get the parts im waiting by week end. We shall see!!!
Old 08-24-2018, 06:34 PM
Teching In

Quick update... finally back in town and swapped the coil, MAF and Opti to coil cable. Car started strong warmed up and I took it out... right after I got of my development is starting to pour just like only happens in FL. So I have no A/C at th the moment so I had to turn around. But I that short ride I did 3 gradual pulls that normally I get the misfire and this time i did not feel it! The road was wet so I’m certain my tires were spinning... the initial prognosis seems good but, before declaring victory I will try on dry pavement and will advise...
Old 08-25-2018, 02:03 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 96SS_813
Quick update... finally back in town and swapped the coil, MAF and Opti to coil cable. Car started strong warmed up and I took it out... right after I got of my development is starting to pour just like only happens in FL. So I have no A/C at th the moment so I had to turn around. But I that short ride I did 3 gradual pulls that normally I get the misfire and this time i did not feel it! The road was wet so I’m certain my tires were spinning... the initial prognosis seems good but, before declaring victory I will try on dry pavement and will advise...
today on dry pavement the car still have the rev limiter symptoms at 5200 rpm. The car has a slight miss and the. It continues reving up... it does not fell on its face... I’m pretty sure is an electrical issue now. I’ll finished the car and will take to the dyno (when I get time) I’ll also try to look for and AC delco Opti.

question -

i change the plug wires with 8mm MSD’s on the right side I have to wrap the cables on a pretty tight bundle. Could it be posible a cable was damage during install? Is so how can I trouble shoot that? I don’t see any burn marks and I just check they were plugged correctly... any suggestions will be appreciated

thanks!

J
Old 08-27-2018, 10:30 AM
Village Troll

Received 517 Likes on 373 Posts

Wait until it's dark (pitch black if possible), start the car and rev the engine and watch to see if spark is jumping from the wires.
Old 08-27-2018, 11:19 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

a spray bottle of water on the wires will "enhance" any wire arc. Pull it up on rams also and look from under the car if you don't see anything from up top
Old 09-08-2018, 12:26 PM
Teching In

Hello there folks -

I checked all the electrical system, swap Opti coil, cables and still the same. Since I have the bee hive springs ( miles unknown the guy I got the heads said 5k miles but at this time we don’t really know ) I want a good recommendation of what I should put instead. The heads are Ported LE1 style with original size valve and the XFI280 cam... I believe th springs are weakening. As I rev the car the vacuum is not stable like on my other car so I’m starting to believe this is the culprit of my issue. Thanks in advance

Quick Reply: 96 SS - High RPM (under load) Flutter/Missed