LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

96 SS - High RPM (under load) Flutter/Missed

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2018, 08:48 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 96 SS - High RPM (under load) Flutter/Missed

Hello!
I have a 1996 Camaro SS with 50k miles and decided to do bolt Ims to support a head and a cam. The heads and cane came out from another Camaro that was pushing 412 rwhp with a similar set up. The heads have about 5,000 miles on them. Here are the mods on my car:

-SPL original performance exhaust
-Original suspension level 2 upgrade
-Torsten 3.42 original rear end
- T56 transmission original
-C5 from calipers w/upgraded rotors
-Pace setters 3"/1.75" cerámic coated long tube headers with Y - erase cats and EGR/smog
-BBK Pulley
-Electric HD 55gpm water pump LT1 compatible.
-160 degree thermo stat
-MSD cables and Opti (original coil and ICM)
-MSD Opti
- Rear break stainless lines
- Ported Heads (similar to LE1) - upgrades springs; stock valves; 1.6 full rockers with upgraded studs
- XFI 280 Cam
- Ported intake manifold
- new lifters ls7
- new cromolly rods
- new timing set
- 52mm BBK TB
- 30# injectors (TFS)
-SLP CAI
-Z06 wheels (GM)
-original MAF
- new upstream O2 sensors
-Tune by Solomon

I just finished the car about 2 months I love it but it has a hesitation (mis) underload at high rpm (over 5100 rpm) feels like a rev limiter stumble. It stumbles once and the car keeps pushing normal. I had Opti issues and I end up installing an MSD Opti because my original died and the missed/flutter was there with the original Opti so I know is not the Opti. The car idle solis and drives normal under the 5000-5100 rpm. The flutter/mis feels like I’m hitting the rev limiter for that instance. If I release the clutch around 2500 rpm and step on it it will break the tires and since is not under load at that time the engine climb to 6000-6500 rpm no issues.

the car gave me the p0152 code (bank 2 high voltage) so I check resistance on all cables and change spark plugs on the right side with no luck. I checked my fuel pressure with the regulator vacum house disconnected and it was 44psi. The pcm is telling me the car is running rich but I see no smoke, no string gas smells. Injectors are new. I swapped the o2 sensors and cross the harnesses to rule out the sensors and posible wiring issue and the issue stay on bank #2. The issue seems to me electric in nature so my next steps when I get back is to swap my coil with iCM from another can and the MAF to rule that out. Any other suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Do you guys think the code p0152 can be related to the mis/flutter? One last thing I have looked for exhaust and vacuum leaks and everything seems pretty tight. I checked my vacuum and at idle I have 12 “ of mercury I know that is low but I also know when you can a car your vac drops. I then check my friends 2002 z06 and vacuum was 12-13” of Mercury any thoughts on that as welll?
Old 08-02-2018, 10:42 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

MSD Opti is known to be problematic

vac is low...is the needle steady at idle?
Old 08-02-2018, 10:55 AM
Teching In

The original Opti had the same behavior. The needle is solid at idle. I’m planning to pull the fuel rail
and see if one of the injectors is leaking to rule that out.
Old 08-02-2018, 12:49 PM
Village Troll

Received 517 Likes on 373 Posts

What lsa for that 280 cam?
Old 08-02-2018, 01:55 PM
TECH Veteran

OP

FWIW I replaced what I thought was a failing AC Delco opti with a new MSD. Problem persisted. Basically high rpm stumble where car fell flat on its face. I don't want to list the LONG line of parts replaced because "my brand new MSD Opti must be good"....it was not. Put on Delphi I had purchased new and all resolved

If you got the MSD opti in the last 2 years....they have a horrible record

Just my $.02
Old 08-02-2018, 02:28 PM
TECH Regular

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Do you have any way to datalog the car? That would be a great thing to do... Also, as ****** and others on here have seen - a new opti, especially if its an MSD, doesn't mean jack. The code you have says that the PCM is pulling fuel from that bank because it sees it as rich, which may make it misfire.If your injector inspection doesn't show anything obvious, I'd swap the injectors over side-to-side and see if that makes the code jump sides. If not, I'd really start giving the MSD opti the stinkeye
Old 08-02-2018, 02:42 PM
TECH Veteran

OP

what brand of valve springs for the XFI do you have?
Old 08-02-2018, 03:05 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by SS RRR
What lsa for that 280 cam?
230 intake duration 236 exhaust duration, .576 in intake valve lift 570 in exhaust valve lift, 113 lsa, 109 intake centerline
Old 08-02-2018, 03:09 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by ******
OP

FWIW I replaced what I thought was a failing AC Delco opti with a new MSD. Problem persisted. Basically high rpm stumble where car fell flat on its face. I don't want to list the LONG line of parts replaced because "my brand new MSD Opti must be good"....it was not. Put on Delphi I had purchased new and all resolved

If you got the MSD opti in the last 2 years....they have a horrible record

Just my $.02
i tested the Opti before installing it but I understand the reliability issues the Opti brings to the LT1. Where can I get an original AC Delvo or Delfi?
Old 08-02-2018, 03:13 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by atlantadan
Do you have any way to datalog the car? That would be a great thing to do... Also, as ****** and others on here have seen - a new opti, especially if its an MSD, doesn't mean jack. The code you have says that the PCM is pulling fuel from that bank because it sees it as rich, which may make it misfire.If your injector inspection doesn't show anything obvious, I'd swap the injectors over side-to-side and see if that makes the code jump sides. If not, I'd really start giving the MSD opti the stinkeye
thanks... I’ll be back home in a week or so and I will do the injector swap, coil replacement and I’ll go through the spark wiring on the right side. The car run too well under 5k is frustrating
Old 08-02-2018, 03:14 PM
Teching In

OP

what brand of valve springs for the XFI do you have?
not sure but I think they are beehive. We inspected them and they were in great shape
Old 08-02-2018, 03:48 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by 96SS_813

not sure but I think they are beehive. We inspected them and they were in great shape
keep an eye on them (read especially if they have over 20k mi on them). The XFI has aggressive ramps. My 918's broke just under 20k mi. with my XFI. Went with the Lunati LT1 kit I got from Lloyd

Weak valve springs do show up in higher rpm feeling like the car will "nose over", stumble, misfire "symptom"

Your issue may not be valve spring related...just passing on my experience with the Comp Bee Hives

Only way to find a original AC Delco Opti is junkyard. Delphi seem to be extinct now.

Occasionally rockauto has "reman" AC Delco...I have no experience with them but if I had to get a Opti today that is what I would get simply by default as best possible option.
Old 08-02-2018, 05:16 PM
Teching In

Do you still have your old opti?

Mike
Old 08-02-2018, 09:10 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by pullngz
Do you still have your old opti?

Mike
yes but only as a trophy.... the rotor was loctite but since it was so old (22 years old) it was brittle and the rotor gave up and wreck the whole unit. That’s why I replaced it with MSD
Old 08-03-2018, 09:33 AM
Village Troll

Received 517 Likes on 373 Posts

Originally Posted by 96SS_813

yes but only as a trophy.... the rotor was loctite but since it was so old (22 years old) it was brittle and the rotor gave up and wreck the whole unit. That’s why I replaced it with MSD
I still have my original as a spare, but now that you mention the age, it probably is more of a museum piece now than anything.
Old 08-03-2018, 09:50 AM
TECH Veteran

if the Mitsubishi sensor in the AC Delco opti did not get damaged, put it in the MSD unit
Old 08-03-2018, 01:00 PM
Teching In

if the Mitsubishi sensor in the AC Delco opti did not get damaged, put it in the MSD unit
the whole unit wrecked.... here is a picture of the externals... sitting on my garage
Old 08-03-2018, 01:05 PM
Teching In

As an update... I have a friend that has a 97SS and I’m getting his MAF, Coil and ICM module probably Monday and I will attempt to rule the injectors, coil and MAF. i have some old logging I did but I’m in the process of getting the software. I will give you an update of my findings... if all that fails we will have to look at Opti or Valve springs... I hope I don’t have to do a LS swap on this car... I like the LS engine but I love the sound of my LT! Stay tune and than you for your input
Old 08-07-2018, 09:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would also think about upgrading the valve springs, and if all else fails switch to a 24x ignition from EFI Connections or Torquehead.
Old 08-08-2018, 12:35 AM
TECH Resident

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Get the car on a dyno, get a scope....logging scope like a pico would be best....put a current clamp on the primary of the ignition coil, you'll then need a sync pulse to id the cylinders of the primary current pulses you'll be looking at....can be a secondary ignition signal or even the opti low res signal.

Run it up to 6000rpm. You should be able to log the current ramps and give you a direction as to if the problem is primary or secondary ignition given how the current ramps look. Might not be in the ignition at all....but given the MSD Opti track record...

You can also do some secondary ignition logging with the right probes as well.

Quick Reply: 96 SS - High RPM (under load) Flutter/Missed