LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

What Optispark are people having best luck with?

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2018, 10:58 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What Optispark are people having best luck with?

My Opti crapped out several years ago. I parked the car and started driving my 1998 Camaro instead. The plan was to swap out to some kind of Opti alternative, but now I don't want to deal with it. I'm just going to replace the Opti with a brand new Opti, plugs, and wires, and not drive in the rain. Are the MSD or Accel Optis any better? Should I just stick with a GM part?

Last edited by SSLT1KID; 06-16-2018 at 11:34 PM.
Old 06-16-2018, 11:13 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I read a ton of threads on this when my opti died last summer. The general consensus seems to be that anything other than GM is a gamble and that the MSD unit is just as hit-or-miss and any of the cheaper brands costing half as much.

You can’t buy a truly brand new GM unit unless you come across a NOS piece. I bought a rebuilt AC Delco from Rock Auto and have no troubles yet but I’ve only racked up 2000 mikes so far.

Jon
Old 06-16-2018, 11:36 PM
Teching In

Oh, thanks, that's good to know. I didnt realize GM wasn't making them anymore. As problematic as they are, you would think they'd still sell them. I wish I had bought a couple while they were still making them.
Old 06-17-2018, 01:38 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

as mentioned rockauto occasionally has in stock reman AC Delco opti's. If I had to get one today that is what I would do.

If your non working one is a AC Delco, this link I have heard is good for rebuilding it. I have no direct experience with them

Considering the refurb includes a MSD C&R....price is not bad

https://www.ebay.com/itm/322692854278?rmvSB=true
Old 06-17-2018, 08:10 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I've had a Summit opti in since last year after my MSD opti fiasco and so far so good. Admittedly, I don't put a ton of miles on the car though.
Old 06-18-2018, 07:58 PM
Teching In

It occurred to me, I have a really clean looking opti off of my 1994 parts car. I'm going to take it apart and see if it had the Mitsubishi sensor in it. Mayne I can cannibal some parts off of it for my 1995.

Does anyone know what size the Torx screws are? None of the stores in town carry a small enough socket.
Old 06-19-2018, 12:45 PM
BTC
TECH Fanatic

Location: Lansing, MI via Bowling Green, KY, Dalton GA, Nashville, TN & Atlanta, GA
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

It's been a long time since I took apart an Opti, but I believe the exterior Torx screws are E4. I think I was able to find the socket at Autozone or Advance Auto.

You could probably Google some info.
Old 06-19-2018, 12:55 PM
Village Troll

Received 517 Likes on 373 Posts

aaannnnnd if you don't want to get a torx set, the TB plate torx bolts will work to loosen the male torx screws.
Old 06-19-2018, 02:41 PM
TECH Veteran

many of us bought the cheap torx set at Harbor Freight

as noted the screws that hold on the top plate of TB can be used as a "socket". Just clamp the very tip of that screw in vise grips to use as a tool. The very tip of those small torx bolts are not threaded

In a MSD C&R kit it comes with a "homemade" version of a torx socket you could also make
Old 06-19-2018, 08:26 PM
TECH Resident

I will be dreading this day. Granted never had one fail. My current one only has 1200 miles on it but was one from the parts lady years ago. Always herd msd was hit and miss. Not sure what to do. Probably best bet it to try and find a reman acdelco and go from there.
Old 06-21-2018, 02:50 PM
Teching In

That's brilliant! Thanks..
Old 06-25-2018, 07:02 PM
Teching In

Default Ive used this service!

Originally Posted by ******
as mentioned rockauto occasionally has in stock reman AC Delco opti's. If I had to get one today that is what I would do.

If your non working one is a AC Delco, this link I have heard is good for rebuilding it. I have no direct experience with them

Considering the refurb includes a MSD C&R....price is not bad

https://www.ebay.com/itm/322692854278?rmvSB=true

This guy does a fantastic job, sent my factor opti to him and got a video back of it rebuilt and putting out a perfect square wave on his oscilloscope. I got it back and installed it and the car has run great ever since, and I beat the **** out of it drifting. I would highly recommend this service if you have a factory opti that has a good Mitsubishi sensor in it.

The service add a vent, seals the case with some pretty serious sealant, and replaces the bearings. It really should allow your opti to last like it should have from GM.
Old 07-02-2018, 02:06 PM
12 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I just installed an opti from pantera efi.
it's supposedly a Hal effect instead of an optical sensor. I couldn't see any difference from the sensor in the opti it replaced, so I am just going by what I was told.
It's running good so far, but i only have 2 days on it now.
Old 07-02-2018, 02:27 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 78 Likes on 57 Posts

I had good luck with a Duralast Gold. Never gave a bit of problem in my 92 vette.
Old 07-02-2018, 08:14 PM
On The Tree

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by JC316
I had good luck with a Duralast Gold. Never gave a bit of problem in my 92 vette.
My 97 Camaro needed a water pump at 120,000 miles. There was nothing wrong with the factory optispark, but I thought changing it while the front of the motor was torn down would be a good preventative measure. I decided to roll the dice on a Duralast Gold because I had a coupon or something that knocked the price down to about $120 and they have a lifetime warranty.

The first one triggered a check engine light for the crank sensor, but the car ran fine. I put about 2,500 miles on it over eight months before the optispark went out. The second one made the check engine light go out and the car ran fine for about six months before it went out. The third one has been on the car for about six months with no issues so far, but I bought a new vehicle and stopped driving the 97. I ordered a big pile of hotrod parts to go on it, but I've been tinkering on other projects lately.

I did notice that the third Duralast looked slightly different than the first two. Hopefully this one lasts. heh.... For what they cost AND factoring in the lifetime warranty, I"d probably go with the Duralast again. Just be aware that you may have to sort through a few duds before you find a good one. lol I've got one of those $70 shipped optisparks with no warranty that I'm going to try on a second LT1 car I own. It's a motor swapped G-body, so it's pretty easy to change if it goes out.

Chad
Old 07-03-2018, 11:03 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

When I was last in the market I went with a working OEM takeoff from a guy converting to 24x, and cleaned it+put a new MSD cap and rotor on it. Worked great and was super cheap since most people don't know any better and would rather buy a new $100 Chinese knockoff then a used $50 20+yo part.

If I was to do it today, and had a factory stocker, that ebay service looks like a killer deal.
Old 07-03-2018, 03:44 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Puck
If I was to do it today, and had a factory stocker, that ebay service looks like a killer deal.
^^^^^this 100%
Old 07-29-2018, 01:14 PM
TECH Regular

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by fbody_brian
I just installed an opti from pantera efi.
it's supposedly a Hal effect instead of an optical sensor. I couldn't see any difference from the sensor in the opti it replaced, so I am just going by what I was told.
It's running good so far, but i only have 2 days on it now.
How is that Pantera optispark working? I may be interested but I am concerned that you didn't notice a difference between the original factory optical sensor to what should be a hall effect pickup sensor. Did the disk look any different? I imagine a hall effect sensor would not use an original optispark disk meant for LED sensors. I am interested in buying from Pantera but I am ONLY going to do so if this distributor is using hall effect technology instead of optical sensor technology. If not, I think I am better off taking a chance on the Petris Enterprises optispark...
Old 08-16-2018, 02:40 PM
12 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Phoenix'97
How is that Pantera optispark working? I may be interested but I am concerned that you didn't notice a difference between the original factory optical sensor to what should be a hall effect pickup sensor. Did the disk look any different? I imagine a hall effect sensor would not use an original optispark disk meant for LED sensors. I am interested in buying from Pantera but I am ONLY going to do so if this distributor is using hall effect technology instead of optical sensor technology. If not, I think I am better off taking a chance on the Petris Enterprises optispark...
it's working great so far.
I'm still not sure that it's actually a Hall effect sensor, which is the reason I bought it.
I have yet to see a response actually confirming that it is anything other than a factory replacement optical sensor, just like every other one on the market.

Quick Reply: What Optispark are people having best luck with?