LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

1997 Z28 Need Tuning, Running Out of Options. Lost Hope

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2018, 12:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Phoenix'97
There might be a chance that the used 96 SS PCM may have a bad chip and that could be enough to hurt any stored program on it. However, there could be other reasons for why your car isn't running right, some component may not be functioning properly and that could be enough to make you think it was a bad program flash. All you can do is try to narrow down the symptoms and slowly replace what appears to be the problem and go from there. I would hate to have the car flashed with a new program when certain engine components are not functioning properly and this plays into getting a bad program as a result.

Well, if you can trust this shop with a tune-up then my best wishes to you. As far as the programming for next year, you have plenty of time to communicate with reputable shops that are not too far away to have your car hauled to. You have time to talk to the guys on this site and anyone who may have experience with the shops you may be interested in. I would want to make sure that I am taking my car to a shop that has worked on 5.7L LT1 engines before and are not shy about custom programming for them.
Could be I've thought about that, but probably need a full system diagnostics ran on the car to make sure everything is up to snuff.

Just some other things that I've replaced: MSD Ignition Coil, MSD OTVC Spark Plug Wires (Hi Heat Boots and Cool Sock Sleeves), NGK TR55ix plugs, Walbro 255 Fuel Pump and upgraded wiring harness, GM Higher Performance Opti.
Old 10-09-2018, 12:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

MSD Ignition Coil, MSD OTVC Spark Plug Wires (Hi Heat Boots and Cool Sock Sleeves), NGK TR55ix plugs, Walbro 255 Fuel Pump and upgraded wiring harness - has less than 200 miles on the whole set up.

Ignition Coil - GM (10489421) for like $47 from GM Parts Direct I could replace instead of using the MSD unit if that is an issue.
Old 10-09-2018, 12:16 PM
Village Troll

Received 517 Likes on 373 Posts

Originally Posted by atlantadan
/end threadjack
As far as your videos, won't even watch someone for 10 minutes ramble on about how much they know. Your second video is apples and oranges compared to a stock F-body exhaust with it being a dual (what looks to be) 3" setup with LT headers and a crossover. Much less restrictive than the single 2 1/2" with a single cat setup for pre OBDII cars and still restrictive for the dual cat OBDII setups from an exhaust manifold design that had been around for ~40 years prior, but what do I know after all the years spent around f-bodys when we all used to mess with our cars and race them to see the results.
You believe your dyno and I'll go ahead and reference the work and track results.

On a side note, even using those catalytic converters on a OBDII car is illegal since the location has to be changed.
Also, if those high flow cat converters do not have an EO number, they too are illegal.

Last edited by SS RRR; 10-09-2018 at 01:23 PM.
Old 10-09-2018, 08:12 PM
TECH Resident

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by SS RRR
On a side note, even using those catalytic converters on a OBDII car is illegal since the location has to be changed.
Also, if those high flow cat converters do not have an EO number, they too are illegal.
I think it depends on the state for the cat location. I know CA can't move them, but NC had no issue with me using the high flow units from Kooks(driver's location moved).

Old 10-09-2018, 08:43 PM
Village Troll

Received 517 Likes on 373 Posts

Unless the Clean Air Act has changed, it is a federal issue and it is illegal.
Old 10-10-2018, 01:03 AM
TECH Regular

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by TheUrbz
question from the ignorant
so by replacing the opti with a 24X like system including the new PCM...is that all there is as to the hindrance of tuning an LT1? i have no familiarity with tuning, but because certain LT1's (mine) run OBDII and have an opti, that throws diagnostic shops for a complete loop? the LS system is that much different because of the PCM and ignition software wise?
I am not sure I am following you. Are you implying that because of your optispark you are throwing codes that baffle diagnostic shops? If that is the case then this was an event I recently experienced and it was solved by buying a more expensive yet guaranteed quality optispark from a Corvette Performance/GM/Chevy Performance Parts company. However, in my desperation, I was looking at two 24XX kits being sold for the LT1 and where one kit offers the LS1 PCM with LT1 harness plugs. Essentially their kit allows you to plug and play your LT1 harness into a modified LS1 PCM which they can flash with the factory LT1 program equivalent for the LS1 24XX ignition system. This kit was going to be my choice if this latest optispark didn't work out. So far I have had no problems and the car runs better than it ever has before, but I am still left wondering if I should make this conversion down the road when I have my car totally overhauled and media-blasted. If I need to take out an auto loan for a new car, I might as well take out one for the customization and restoration of my "old" Trans AM!
Old 10-10-2018, 06:11 AM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Phoenix'97
I am not sure I am following you. Are you implying that because of your optispark you are throwing codes that baffle diagnostic shops?
Negative, disregard my last. My train of logic was going down the wrong track and derailed.
Old 10-10-2018, 09:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

I’m just doing the conversion now.

torque head 24x doing it once and being done.

snagged a near brand new 200 Camaro PCM mount.

i have TCS “ASR” on my 97 Z28 and have elected to go with the non TCS throttle cable and cruise then plug a resistor into the TCS motor plug and still have ABS. So far I have the LS1 Mount and a near new 1995 Camaro Z28 non-TCS cruise cable. Does anyone know where I can get a 95-97 non-TCS throttle cable? Instead of paying $500 for this jet thing and then $300 for tuning, I’m doing the switch and doing it right once and for all.

Old 10-10-2018, 02:11 PM
Staging Lane

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

A v6 cable may solve bypassing ASR. What is your plan? Headers and straight pipes. Removing emissions and changing over to 24x. Afterwards car doesn't run right. Removing AIR, EGR, & EVAP. Is unlikely to gain a lot, not even enough weight to gain .05 et. The lack of back pressure can also hurt performance. The headers help, with nothing to slow exhaust gas O2s don't always read correctly. The 24x is just money since your not necessarily having a Opti problem. IDK there is advantage in 24x in a non internally modified high rpm engine.
I would get a stock PCM for a f body or corvette. Going on the idea to just plug it in and not spending extra money programming. Install hi flow cats or mufflers to get a little back pressure. Then evaluate what you have. Are you able to read PCM data?
Old 10-10-2018, 02:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Slowroll
A v6 cable may solve bypassing ASR. What is your plan? Headers and straight pipes. Removing emissions and changing over to 24x. Afterwards car doesn't run right. Removing AIR, EGR, & EVAP. Is unlikely to gain a lot, not even enough weight to gain .05 et. The lack of back pressure can also hurt performance. The headers help, with nothing to slow exhaust gas O2s don't always read correctly. The 24x is just money since your not necessarily having a Opti problem. IDK there is advantage in 24x in a non internally modified high rpm engine.
I would get a stock PCM for a f body or corvette. Going on the idea to just plug it in and not spending extra money programming. Install hi flow cats or mufflers to get a little back pressure. Then evaluate what you have. Are you able to read PCM data?
Goals are:

TorquHead 24x Conversion (can't find any LT1 tuners anymore) --> Paul the owner of TH said he can tune out the AIR/EGR/EVAP then said my tuner can can adjust the other codes I have. On the 24x conversion the EGR and EVAP won't work anyways he said
Remove ASR but keep ABS and Cruise Control (I have bought a 95 Z28 Non-TCS cruise cable and I'm in contact to get the 95-97 camaro throttle cable).
Install 24x Conversion over the winter
Install GMMG exhuast
No cats or no mufflers besides a GMMG is my preference (the exhaust is darn near almost to the rear end so that pipe should be long enough)

Current Mods - LT's, ORY 3in dumped not cats or mufflers, full CAI, UD pulley, Full Susp, built rear end with 373s, sticky tires, TA Diff cover

Goals for car is LE Stage 2 heads, LE custom cam, Yank SS3600 Stall, Built Trans with TransGO Shift Kit,then eventually get a S60 or nine inch built, Electric WP

Then buy a 35 2002 SS to collect alongside my 30th.
Old 10-10-2018, 02:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

But to even get someone to look at my car is a $400 JET DST setup PLUS $300. I'm over half way there for a full 24x LS conversion that would make tuning a breeze and LS tuners are everywhere. To me the JET DST setup is a waste and basically burning up $400, then a tune is a complete waste of $300 if I do go 24x after he tunes it anyways. This is where I'm struggling, the guy who tuned my car just fell off the face of the world with work and health problems. I would need a full tune from scratch anyways and I really don't want to have to tune it twice once for these codes then once again when I go 24x.
Old 10-10-2018, 02:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

I don't tune and won't ever tune my car myself so buying the JET DST for $400 then paying $300 for the tune is a burning up of $800 at this point. IF I'm going to modify the car further like I plan to and I'm stuck between paying $800 for one tune or $1400 for an entire new system. It seems to me the money is more spent upfront but saved alot more on the back end?
Old 10-10-2018, 03:42 PM
Staging Lane

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You have to know your limitations ...lol. IMO if they can partial tune the should be able to do it all. If you're are planning LE build discuss tune prior to committing. Reflash puts you in the same league as the non gm no chip hot rodders. You might look at a stand alone / aftermarket self learning systems that you can tweak a little. 1k tuning can almost pay for some systems
Old 10-10-2018, 03:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

You have to know your limitations ...lol. IMO if they can partial tune the should be able to do it all. If you're are planning LE build discuss tune prior to committing. Reflash puts you in the same league as the non gm no chip hot rodders. You might look at a stand alone / aftermarket self learning systems that you can tweak a little. 1k tuning can almost pay for some systems
Right only partial tune with the just of DST by JET which I have to provide myself which is $400 and I don't want pay $300 now when there isn't a reason if I go in another direction. The car has sat for 11 months almost not started so I need to either pick one or the other and stick with it lol.
Old 10-10-2018, 04:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

BUMP

Anyone know about using non-tcs throttle and cruise cables and yanking out the asr unit on my camaro?

People are taking about taking the whole rear end apart lol to make this work, surely that is not needed.

Spartan7 and others have said:

Non TCS LT1 Cruise Cable
Non TCS LT1 Throttle Cable
2.6- 3.7 ohm resistor that PLUGS into the wires that plugged into the ASR motor? Is that all that is, changing rear ends? Swapping sensors out? Changing ABS modules etc, is that all involved? Going from 4 channel to 3 channel.

I don't want to switch rear ends, I SIMPLY want to remove ASR but KEEP Cruise Control and ABS. Is this possible and how?

Currently have a 95 camaro Z28 Non-TCS "ASR" Cruise Cable on the way.
Old 10-11-2018, 03:01 AM
TECH Resident

Lincolnite checking in...I didn't read everything in this thread but I have the Jet Software if you want to play with it sometime. I can use it on up to 4 cars so let me know. I had Solomon @ LT1pcmtuning tune my car (cc503 cam) but I have a decent understand of everything as I've been playing with it pretty much non stop the last few weeks.

You might entertain going to OBD1. All you need to change is the knock sensor, or do the resistor mod. I went to Upull it here in town a few days ago and got an OBD1 pcm out of a 95 Fleetwood for like 40 bucks. Also got the USB/ALDL cable for using EEhack/Tunerpro/etc.

Last edited by slikrider20; 10-11-2018 at 03:12 AM.
Old 10-11-2018, 02:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by slikrider20
Lincolnite checking in...I didn't read everything in this thread but I have the Jet Software if you want to play with it sometime. I can use it on up to 4 cars so let me know. I had Solomon @ LT1pcmtuning tune my car (cc503 cam) but I have a decent understand of everything as I've been playing with it pretty much non stop the last few weeks.

You might entertain going to OBD1. All you need to change is the knock sensor, or do the resistor mod. I went to Upull it here in town a few days ago and got an OBD1 pcm out of a 95 Fleetwood for like 40 bucks. Also got the USB/ALDL cable for using EEhack/Tunerpro/etc.
Whats up man. I thought about going back but I'm also looking at the future. No body except a few select mail tuners will touch an OBD1 or OBDII type LT1 car, gets even harder if you want to have a dyno tune or street tune.
Old 10-11-2018, 02:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by slikrider20

Thanks for the suggestion though I'm looking at all options.
Old 10-11-2018, 03:44 PM
TECH Resident

We could do all you'd need with my Jet Software. Pm me and maybe we could work something out.
Old 10-18-2018, 07:09 PM
TECH Resident

Received 132 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by atlantadan
OBD2: Zero HP and zero tq gain (dyno)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JGBe5OQg410

EFI Live car:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OSMcHg_7eo4

There are many other dyno runs that show the same thing. You'll pick up more with headers than deleting cats.

/end threadjack
Cats can be a horrible restriction. I gained nearly 20 rwhp up top on a Mustang dyno deleting the 2 non monitored cats on my 2012 Titan. That was with the OEM manifolds and their attached cats still in place. Pulled the secondary cats and replaced them with 2.5" pipes. Truck had a programmer, a cold air intake and a magnaflow muffler swap. Despite the slight loss of torque from having a less than optimal tune the truck went over 2 tenths in the 1/8 mile quicker after. 9.3xs to 9.0x The area it lost torque was only seen in 1st gear for a very brief period of time which was actually a blessing getting an open differential truck off the line. In the 1/4 mile where the engine gets up to peak HP and beyond again there was almost 4 tenths improvement in almost identical DA. MPH also speaks volumes in both the 1/8th and 1/4 to the HP improvement where it mattered for racing.

14.267 run at old Dallas Dragway. Wish my friend filming had gotten the time at the end.

That being said and back to the intent of this post. Jet Dynamic Tuner is just a Vin limited form of Tunercats OBD2.

Last edited by Fast355; 10-18-2018 at 07:37 PM.