LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion

LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion (https://ls1tech.com/forums/)
-   LT1-LT4 Modifications (https://ls1tech.com/forums/lt1-lt4-modifications-31/)
-   -   1995 chevy camaro Z28 overheating (https://ls1tech.com/forums/lt1-lt4-modifications/1908757-1995-chevy-camaro-z28-overheating.html)

surenito 10-16-2018 02:49 PM

1995 chevy camaro Z28 overheating

Hi, I have a 1995 chevy camaro Z28 it fills the overflow tank very fast is no leaks at all and I change thermostat, radiator, hoses and still doing, I check compression leaks and nothing.

hrcslam 10-21-2018 11:26 PM

Did you replace the radiator cap?

surenito 10-22-2018 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by hrcslam (Post 19989844)
Did you replace the radiator cap?

Hi, thank you for reply, yes I did replace the radiator cap radiator, hoses I try with thermostat and with out and the problem persist I did pressure test and no leaks I did combustion leak test and nothing.

SS RRR 10-22-2018 09:08 AM

There is a steam/coolant return hose and reservoir hose that can get mixed up. Make sure they are in their proper place. Return hose goes in 2nd port below rad. cap and reservoir hose connects to port directly under the rad. cap. If you know those two are in their proper place then there is a good chance you have a blown head gasket. You can rent a coolant system pressure checker from any auto parts store. Put no more than 19psi into the system and watch the gauge to see if you're losing pressure. If you are, take the plugs out, do the test again, rotate the engine by hand with the plugs out and see if coolant starts pouring out of one or more of the plug holes. You can also check the spark plugs to see if any one of them looks cleaner than the rest which is a direct result of it/them being steam cleaned during the combustion process.

surenito 10-22-2018 11:43 AM

Hoses are in a correct place and yes I did the pressure test and check the cylinders is ok

RallyX26 10-22-2018 12:32 PM

Have you followed a step-by-step guide to bleed any trapped air from the system? How long does it take to overheat, and does it do it when the vehicle is stationary, when it's driving or both?

surenito 10-22-2018 03:54 PM

Yes I did several times to bleed and it gets hot as soon as the light for coolant gets on because is low and fills the overflow reservoir tank

Roadrunner96 10-22-2018 06:06 PM

How dirty is your cooling system?

hrcslam 10-22-2018 08:52 PM

Do you have the part number for the thermostat you used?

antoine 10-22-2018 09:06 PM

Originally Posted by surenito (Post 19986683)
Hi, I have a 1995 chevy camaro Z28 it fills the overflow tank very fast is no leaks at all and I change thermostat, radiator, hoses and still doing, I check compression leaks and nothing.

are the coolant fans coming on on the first stage

surenito 10-23-2018 09:14 AM

Hi, is not dirty at all I even check the heater core and is clean this car is making me crazy, I can't find nothing wrong but still overheating

Z28tek 10-23-2018 09:36 AM

The cam driven waterpump on the LT's is a pain to get to, is it pumping enough coolant at idle?
Does the car cool down/stay cool going down the road?

surenito 10-23-2018 10:43 AM

Yes is pumping enough coolant I try with out thermostat to check and yes is pumping good, I live running at idle for like 30 minutes and then I drove like 18 miles and the light for low coolant gets on I wait to cool down and check and the overflow tank is full radiator empty.

SS RRR 10-23-2018 11:55 AM

The cooling system is very simple. If your reservoir is overflowing then the coolant is taking the path of least resistance propelled by pressure. So, either the hoses on the tube/reservoir into the radiator are switched around, or your radiator cap is weak, or the cap is fine, but gives way due to the coolant becoming too hot because it is not being properly cooled down, or you have a blown head gasket and excessive pressure is being built in the cooling system and radiator cap is giving way and coolant is escaping into reservoir.
Checked your oil lately? If it's a chocolate milk-like color then almost guaranteed you have a blown head gasket or cracked heads/block, however the path where a head gasket can fail may only find its way into a cylinder and not into the oil.