LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

ARP pressure plate bolt torque?

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2018, 10:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

I did the same, I tried holding the plastic tool perfectly in the center and then snugging up the PP bolts but it didn't work for me. Granted this was my first clutch job. After struggling with the t56 laying on my back under the car for hrs and hrs trying to get it to allign into the pilot bearing i was so happy to re allign it with the RAM tool and watch the trans slide right in. Most mechanics prob do just fine with the plastic tool, i just wanted to share my experience with the RAM allignment tool.

Thanks to the ppl recommending going with GM torque values for the pressure plate bolts. Its confusing when arp lists to use 45 ft lbs for the PP bolts and GM rec 22 ft lbs. In this case research showed to go with the GM value.
I also went with the GM torque value on the flywheel bolts, but arp rec around 10 more ft lbs than GM which would have put the torque at 85 ft lbs.
When using arp head bolts arp says to use their torque values because of the special arp lube on the washers below the bolt heads. Seems to be some grey area in this matter.
Old 12-13-2018, 10:30 AM
Village Troll

Received 518 Likes on 374 Posts

Originally Posted by 350 groundpounder
Can you line up your clutch with a plastic junk tool? Sure you can if you have experience with clutch installs and have a good eye, or just get lucky.
Eh, I've always had good luck in making sure the clutch is barely being held up by the PP, ensure the "play" from the alignment tool is equal the entire circumference and then tighten the bolts. Has worked well. But yes, whatever works. For reference sake for anyone else though, just go to a trans shop or junk yard and get a 26 spline input shaft for pennies instead of buying a $55 logo.