LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Painless Harness, need ECM 16188051, what VIN?

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2018, 11:06 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Painless Harness, need ECM 16188051, what VIN?

Hi all, this is my first post on here, and it looks like i'm hopefully in the right place.

I'm putting an LT1 from a 95 Corvette (6 speed) in to a Mustang, so i'm already unpopular. I'm in the UK, so advice is thin on the ground, and truth be told, i'm only using the engine because I've had it sitting for the last 10 years for a project that never made the light of day.

The ECM for my car is service # 16181333, but i need 16188051 and some other sensors according to the painless manual. I am 100% new to building, running and tuning anything with electronic anything, so go easy on me. There are plenty of ECMs with the right service number on ebay, including a company called flashmasters that will program it to my VIN before shipping it out. The problem is, i dont know my VIN and if i did, they'd probably tell me it's the wrong ECM.

Can anyone make a suggestion as to a VIN i could give them for a near off-the-shelf solution, or am i best getting them to send it to me as is and programming it myself? The painless harness takes care of a lot of the reprogramming that would be required, like VATS etc, but i expect i'm going to have to do some reprogramming somehow.

How can i move forward with this?
Old 11-23-2018, 07:03 PM
Launching!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Painless is suggesting that you need an OBD1 94-95 year PCM from an M6 F Body for your swap. I have bought several PCMs from flashmasters for several swaps. All you need is a donor VIN from an f Body with the configuration previosly described and you will be on your way.

If rthe PCM from your engine was out of a 95 6 speed Corvette you might be able to use it. It will depend on the PCM pinout. you would need to check that. Both PCMs were OBD1 and identical on the outside.

Last edited by RGSS; 11-23-2018 at 07:10 PM.
Old 11-24-2018, 01:20 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Really appreciate the help here, thanks.

No doubt I'll have more questions once I've got it running!