LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Best place for the MAF

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2018, 11:29 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best place for the MAF

I will be making a cowl induction hood fed CAI and have a few ideas for placement of the airbox and would like to know the best place for the MAF. Is it better more up stream or right in front of the TB. I have ideas where I can make either work. I am open to any and all comments. This will be a true Cowl hood system and true CAI. The only air the system will get is from the cowl hood opening and the airbox totally sealed to he hood.
Old 12-04-2018, 08:55 AM
Village Troll

Received 517 Likes on 373 Posts

Kind of like the SS CAI? I don't think it makes a difference just as long as the passage between the MAF and TB does not yield un-metered air.
Old 12-04-2018, 09:52 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SS RRR
Kind of like the SS CAI? I don't think it makes a difference just as long as the passage between the MAF and TB does not yield un-metered air.
Yes kinda like that. But more open with a bigger element and larger airbox. But that is my plan. I can either route the piping down the drivers side down and through a large radius elbow vs the current tight 90. Or have the airbox more over the TB and dump straight down into a tube for a straight shot to the TB. Either way I want to straighten the air path before the TB.
Old 12-04-2018, 11:51 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

I would put MAF closer to TB so whatever turbulent, flow rate that is being metered by MAF is what directly enters TB vs somewhere upstream, especially if after a bend in intake ducting you are fabricating
Old 12-05-2018, 12:20 PM
Village Troll

Received 517 Likes on 373 Posts

I don't think turbulence is a factor within the induction to be concerned about and don't think it'd have any impact of how air is delivered past the throttle blades into the plenum. What you can do, OP is at least use a stock, or stock-like bellows/elbow, connect MAF to that and do whatever design you want into the cowl. That's pretty much how the SS intake is.