LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Removed my valve covers and found....

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2019, 07:45 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Removed my valve covers and found....

I purchased my '97 TA several years ago but haven't had the chance to do much to it since then. This winter I'm doing several upgrades and removed the valve covers to make long tube installation easier. What I found was.... odd. There appeared to be four aftermarket roller rockers on the passenger side but all the other rocker arms appeared to be stock. And it was two different brands. What's up with that? I'm guessing I should just convert them all over to a 1.6 rr. I'm tempted to use this opportunity to pull the intake and heads to check the condition. Also, on the inside of the valve covers, in the corners, was a whitish sludge. I'm not sure what that indicates. Eventually I'd like to rebuild/replace the motor with a 383, getting the heads and intake ported, etc, but wasn't planning on doing that now. I've got new off-road long tubes and exhaust, new clutch, but now I'm afraid I'll need to be spending more money. Any insights into any of this? Pictures below.

Passenger side:

Driver's side:

Inside valve covers:

Old 01-23-2019, 10:04 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

That whitish sludge is definetly the fat off all the mustang's that car has devoured. That's a crazy surprise to find. I would be a little concerned cause I would suspect something grenaded then they fixed it cheap as possible and sold the car. That's the only reason I'd think someone would do something like that
Old 01-23-2019, 11:47 PM
TECH Addict

Received 130 Likes on 99 Posts

With that kind or 'repair' work, I would be very concerned regarding how the car was maintained and modified.

Jus' sayin'.....but that's some Bush League BS right there.

KW
Old 01-24-2019, 06:18 AM
TECH Regular

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

That's a classic case of losing/breaking some parts and then grabbing (literally) whatever they had laying around the shop to address the issue. No idea what the fatty looking gunk is. Perhaps condensate mixed with oil vapor, but that's a flat-out guess.
Old 01-24-2019, 08:13 AM
Man-Crush Warning

Received 119 Likes on 88 Posts

Usually the white sludge is just from cold starts and not letting motor getting up to temps to burn off condensation.
Old 01-24-2019, 08:21 AM
10 Second Club

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

No doubt the rockers are scramble to get this car running again repair.
Old 01-24-2019, 09:10 AM
Village Troll

Received 517 Likes on 373 Posts

Originally Posted by Shownomercy
Usually the white sludge is just from cold starts and not letting motor getting up to temps to burn off condensation.
Or from just sitting in cold/humid temps. No big deal.
Old 01-24-2019, 10:38 AM
TECH Addict

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

Maybe the old owner wanted just a liiiiiitle bit of performance, not too much.

Crazy that somebody would do that. Why not put stockers back in. What kind of back story did you get on the car?
Old 01-24-2019, 11:02 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by AnotherWs6
Maybe the old owner wanted just a liiiiiitle bit of performance, not too much.

Crazy that somebody would do that. Why not put stockers back in. What kind of back story did you get on the car?
i didnt really get any backstory. It came from a used car dealer. It seemed to run okay-enough. It was always intended to be a project car, just wasn’t planning on doing everything at once. I appreciate everyone’s thoughts so far.
Old 01-24-2019, 11:06 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave M

i didnt really get any backstory. It came from a used car dealer. It seemed to run okay-enough. It was always intended to be a project car, just wasn’t planning on doing everything at once. I appreciate everyone’s thoughts so far.
if you got the money i would maybe think of doing a cam swap and replacing the springs, pushrods, rockers, etc.. so you know whats going on in there.
Old 01-24-2019, 04:28 PM
Launching!

If I were going to do rockers, pushrods, cam, springs, etc what should I go with? Eventually the plan was to build a 383. Is there stuff out there that would be good for a mildly modified street car and still work on a built 383? Or would I be buying everything all over again? It might end up being a few years for the engine build, so maybe getting a more aggressive cam and rockers and doing a mild port on the heads and intake would suffice for now. Not a huge dollar loss if I can't reuse it. I don't know much about valvetrains. What brand/style should I be looking to buy?
Old 01-24-2019, 06:23 PM
TECH Addict

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Has the motor been sitting for a long time, the heads sure look clean as in not much oil showing in the valley of the heads, I believe I do see some on the rockers.
Old 01-24-2019, 07:07 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by moehorsepower
Has the motor been sitting for a long time, the heads sure look clean as in not much oil showing in the valley of the heads, I believe I do see some on the rockers.
It has about 112k miles on it but hasn't been driven more than 1,000 miles/year for the last 4 years or so. I can't be certain that anything on the car is stock or original. They may be newer heads but I've never had any problems with oil usage or leaks.
Old 01-27-2019, 12:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Pull the heads and intake and send them to Lloyd Elliott for an LE2 port job , ported intake and a custom cam that will give the car some giddyup.
Old 01-28-2019, 12:16 PM
Teching In

I have a set of stock lt1 rockers and nuts if you need them, free. Just pay the shipping.
Old 02-09-2019, 09:14 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If it was my car like other said.... I would pull the head Check those valve seats