Notices
LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Is this rodnock?

Old 04-16-2019, 12:13 AM
Teching In

Default Is this rodnock?

that’s a video of the sound my brothers 96 impala is making

we’ve been told it’s the flex plate but we unbolted the torque converter and slid it back enough to get a good look and dont see any cracks at all . It seems like it would have to be a pretty big crack to make a sound so loud

He just bought this engine and trans from a guy known as “impala mike” whose supposed to be a reputable impala/caprice parts supplier . He says it ran fine before he shipped it to us. Supposedly has like 70k miles

what do you guys think it is and where should we start?
Old 04-16-2019, 11:10 AM
Village Troll

Hard to tell. The speed of the knock seems as if it would be, but doesn't sound deep enough. Sounds more like a playing card on the spokes of a bicycle. Have you checked the oil for bearing material? What you can do is take the heads off, rotate the engine by hand, let a piston go on the downstroke for a 1/2" or so and try to push down on the piston. If the piston pushes down you have discovered the source. There should be no play with the rod/piston during reciprocation. You didn't find any sort of markings on the flexplate as well?
Old 04-17-2019, 11:01 AM
TECH Regular

I dunno. If it is bottom end, you've got more than one knocker. The frequency is too quick for just one rod.

Search this Thread

About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: