LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Turbo on a daily driven cammed 383 LT1?

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2019, 05:54 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turbo on a daily driven cammed 383 LT1?

Hello fellas. I’m getting bored of being naturally aspirated and I’m wondering if it’s possible to convert to a turbo on low boost on my LT1. I had thrown a Lunati 219/224 cam in it a year or so ago, punched the motor out to 383ci and I’ve put about 10k miles on the motor since I finished the build. 1.6RR, pushrods, springs, basically everything was done internally except for the crank. Running a KN CAI and Hooker Headers, MSD 6AL2. those are basically my only bolt ons.

My question is this: could I convert to a turbo just for the sake of changing the aspiration? I’m not looking to gain a ton of horsepower, I only street it because I live in LI and my nearest strip is NJ. I daily the car and maybe put 10-15k on it annually. I wouldn’t mind putting a baby turbo in it either, just don’t want to abuse it too much, she sees plenty of gas as it is.

>inb4 yeah I have 2 bolt main on the cranks obviously so I should be mindful of that
Old 06-13-2019, 05:59 PM
Teching In

I should also probably mention that I’d sent my PCM out to PCMs for less based on a personal recommendation, I’d told him basically what I have posted above about my LT1 and he had tuned the pcm with no data logging. Runs a bit rich at times but it runs fairly efficient on the cam. Can’t find anyone local who will tune/dyno an LT1 so this may also be an issue
Old 06-13-2019, 06:08 PM
Launching!

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

I'm not 100% sure on this, but I believe there is a guy named Brian that used to work for Kaltech that does a bunch of tuning around Long Island. I'm pretty sure there are others too. There also New Era Performance in Victor, NY. Sending out your PCM to get tuned is a great start to initially get the car running, but honestly, it would be to your advantage to get a dyno or street tune. You'll probably see improvements.

I guess my first question is, what compression are you running? Maybe if you can add detailed specs on your current build, that can significantly increase your chances for the pros in here to get you the answer you are looking for.

Last edited by rising_4rm_ashes; 06-13-2019 at 08:15 PM.
Old 06-13-2019, 06:44 PM
Man-Crush Warning

Received 119 Likes on 88 Posts

Yes its doable. I in theory could DD mine, but I am getting old and like my comfy quiet AC car over my LT1.

Unless you are talking rear mount turbo kit, you do realize the undertaking a front mount turbo is correct?

And as stated above, we need you SCR
Old 06-13-2019, 07:34 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by rising_4rm_ashes
I'm not 100% sure on this, but I believe there is a guy named Brian that used to work for Kaltech that does a bunch of tuning around Long Island. I'm pretty sure there are others too. There also New Era Performance in Victor, NY. Sending out your PCM to get tuned is a great start to initially get the car running, but honestly, it would be to your advantage to get a dyno or street tune. You'll probably see improvements.

I guess my first question is, what compression are you running? Maybe if you can add detailed specs on your current build, that can significant increases your changes for the pros in here to get you the answer you are looking for.
Hey man thanks for the quick reply. I definitely need a fine tuning on it for sure, will definitely be contacting my engine builder for the compression ratio, I can’t remember exactly but it’s up there a bit. My builder is John from Machine World, and he was one of those guys that didn’t believe in changing the aspiration, kept saying I needed an LS but not looking to make huge power at all. I’m going to get in touch with him and get back to you guys on that
Old 06-13-2019, 07:37 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Shownomercy
Yes its doable. I in theory could DD mine, but I am getting old and like my comfy quiet AC car over my LT1.

Unless you are talking rear mount turbo kit, you do realize the undertaking a front mount turbo is correct?

And as stated above, we need you SCR
Luckily I’m young yet at 21 and have yet to taste anything out of natural aspiration. I am aware most F Body’s are running front mounted turbos, there’s no room anywhere under the hood for them which would mean I would need a custom manifold if one wasn’t previously available. I couldn’t find any kits so I believe I would be purchasing everything on its own and running custom fab piping as well. Need to contact my builder for the fine details on the compression, will get back to you
Old 06-13-2019, 08:18 PM
Man-Crush Warning

If you really are serious about boost, I would highly suggest getting setup with a 24x 0411 PCM strictly out of lack of tuners for a LT1 PCM these days.

And then of course, trans/DS/rear etc will all need to be made to support the new power.
Old 06-14-2019, 05:58 AM
TECH Regular

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

High(er) compression ratios and forced induction do not mix and mail-order tuning combined with forced induction is a great way to grenade your engine. PCM4L are a bunch of crooks and hacks and I wouldn't let them tune my lawnmower. PCM Performance or Moe Bailey are about the best you can get for mail order tunes but even with them, I'd not tune a f.i. engine without a dyno and a programmer.
Old 06-14-2019, 06:30 AM
12 Second Club

Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts

If you didn’t touch the crank, then it’s not a 383. Sounds more like you had it taken 0.030 over and new pistons, but probably stock rods and crank so it’s a 355. I hope they balanced the rotating assembly when they changed the pistons. Also in question is what pistons were used, hopefully it’s the small 1.5/1.5/3mm rings like normal and not old big 5/64, 5/64, 3/16” small block rings that many shops confuse with the modern LT1. Also piston material, the stock mahle pistons could take a beating, but cheap Chinese cast pistons won’t survive boost. Also piston cc changes compression, and sbc builders can screw up and put in something with lower compression than stock 10.4:1. I would honestly forget the turbo idea and focus on the heads if your piston swap checks out ok, since a good set of heads and a bigger cam than your baby one can add 100hp, is wayyyyy cheaper, and less complicated.

if you can post a build sheet or parts list of the engine rebuild we can tell you more about what you have, and your options.
Old 06-14-2019, 09:23 AM
Village Troll

Received 518 Likes on 374 Posts

Originally Posted by Shownomercy
If you really are serious about boost, I would highly suggest getting setup with a 24x 0411 PCM strictly out of lack of tuners for a LT1 PCM these days.

And then of course, trans/DS/rear etc will all need to be made to support the new power.
Basically what man-crush is saying is, in order to do this and have longevity....

Old 06-17-2019, 11:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 66 Likes on 52 Posts

i believe lt1boost is still in business and making custom kits for people, i have one of his older kits that i am currently bolting onto my 383 with an older precision 76mm. as others are saying, we need more info on your engine build, doesn't sound like you have a 383 since you still have the stock crank in it and 2 bolt mains which isn't ideal for boost. my 383 was built with boost in mind so it has forged internals and a low SCR with 4 bolt mains
Old 06-27-2019, 03:48 AM
Teching In

If it’s a 383 the cam is to small to make use of the stroker. I built one too back in 01 with 224/230 and told now days I need 231/242 to make use of it and still be great to drive daily.

now if it’s 355 try and find a used procharger. 600b or the newer ps1. GET tuned and you’ll have loads of fun. Probably wouldn’t have to change cam either. I ran 10 psi on stock motor..... pure blast and probably all the power you want. I’d try to keep it 8/9 psi depending on pistons.

oh plan on buying tires lol
Old 06-27-2019, 04:52 PM
Man-Crush Warning

If its a boosted motor, that cam is fine. Ideal maybe not, but it would work fine.

I have a 22X/22X in my 383 and I make decent power. Don't overcam a boosted motor.

Just add more boost.