LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Lt1 rebuild. Need a list.

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2019, 05:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lt1 rebuild. Need a list.

So i recently snatched a lt1 out of a 95 camaro. Had about 140k miles on it when the ring lands broke. I plan to rebuild the lt1 and drop it in my 88 caprice classic broughham. I dont plan to race the car just show, so its no need for extreme performance parts. But i do want a good solid rebuild with a slight upgrade from stock. I am going to take the block to local machine shop and have it cleaned and machined. My question is what parts do you guys recommend for a complete rebuild. What transmission do you recommended. I was thinking 4l60E. Budget is around $2,000.
Old 07-12-2019, 06:24 AM
TECH Regular

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Can you spin a wrench and rebuild it yourself? If not, for that budget, I'd look to a Maabco shortblock for $795 (add $150 for shipping), get your heads re-done locally for another $500, pick a decent street cam for $250, and add another $250 for gaskets and fasteners. That will keep the power low enough to not have to worry about the 4L60E and give you pretty much a new mill to build on as time and budget allow. Or you can roll the dice and look for an LT1 in your local Craigslist or on the forums
Old 07-12-2019, 02:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Atlantadan im set on the lt1 i really wanted ro do a ls1 but ik that a ls1 rebuild will far exceed my budget. I have thought of snatching a lq4 or 9 from the junkyard but domt know if its really worth it. i have wiggle room on my budget and i plan on doing the complete rebuild myself the $2k budget is just the engine does not include trans and rear wheel. I got somewhere around a number close to $1,200 for trans and rear wheel. Im hoping to keep engine, trans, driveshaft, rear wheel, and all wiring and misc Parts (pumps, lines, etc) under $4k. But like i said theres wiggle room. This cars my baby, if im going to do im gonna do it right not scared to spend the money just dont want to go crazy and buy things im not going to need since i wont be going racing just burnouts and i want the bitch to sound mean.

Last edited by elijah morse; 07-12-2019 at 02:09 PM.
Old 07-12-2019, 02:39 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

OP

since a ring broke in your LT1.....it likely will need a ,0x0 overbore to clean up the cyl. which means new pistons. You could get lucky with just a hone but a machine shop would need to determine that. So whatever machine work the block needs in that area you buy some good (read not heavy) pistons & rings and have your current rods resized and fitted with ARP fasteners and all new bearings for the block. The crank likely just needs a polish but could need a .010 grind. Get your heads decked and new valve job. A cheap hot cam would give you the "sound" you want although there are better choices for cams in terms of performance

Contact a good machine shop in your area and discuss costs if you are capable of assembling the motor

Otherwise buying a new (rebuilt) mill like Atlanta suggests would be the way to go if you don't assemble the short block yourself or discuss short block assembly using your LT1 with the machine shop...but that shop should be familiar with the gen 2 LT1 as it has some differences than the gen 1 SBC