LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion

LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion (https://ls1tech.com/forums/)
-   LT1-LT4 Modifications (https://ls1tech.com/forums/lt1-lt4-modifications-31/)
-   -   Cooling Question (https://ls1tech.com/forums/lt1-lt4-modifications/310392-cooling-question.html)

DopdBrd 04-22-2005 11:41 AM

Cooling Question

Ok my car runs hot I think (around 210 driving intown, sometimes up to around 220-225). I went through and changed the antifreeze, put in a 160 thermo, and also put in some RedLine Water wetter. Well the first day it never got above 180, now it heats up again?? If i get my computer tuned will it solve it?? what else should i do??

StealthFormula 04-22-2005 12:21 PM

I had the same problem and after I installed a flowmaster catback, my car began running lower temps.

NXSLT1 04-23-2005 01:26 AM

210 is normal for these cars with stock fan settings even with a 160 t-stat. Get the ecm reprogrammed for lower fan settings or wire up a switch to turn the fans on when you want to. I have both on mine. Also, when you changed antifreeze did you bleed the cooling system? If not then the car will almost certainly run hot no matter what with all that air in the system.

DopdBrd 04-24-2005 09:20 AM

Yeah I Did Bleed The System. Took Forever But Everytime I Crack Those Bleeders Fluid Comes Out So Im Guessing Its Ok. Ill Just Have To Get The Pcm Reprogrammed.

Rare96WS6 04-25-2005 01:46 AM

If there is no air in the system then having a manual switch to turn the fans on at a lower temp will work great. You can do this with a PP too or get your CPU retuned and have the fan temp set that way.
An electric water pump will also help bigtime. I run a 160 stat, water wetter, fans on at lower temp. and the Mezziere Electric pump and the car stays at 163-168 always, no matter what it is like outside.

Gangly 04-25-2005 07:25 AM

PCM wont make it run cooler unless you are turning the fans on sooner which would be cheaper to do through hypertech. you can bleed and bleed and never get all the air out.after intake pulls and thermostat swaps, i generally bleed the system, drive for about 10-15 minutes and bleed again. i do this 2-3 times and i always get a little air out until the last time.

ricknbird350 04-25-2005 09:54 AM

my car ran hott till i went and bought a painless wiring fan switch that turns them on at 185 and off at 170 and its never gotten past that. i also have a 160 stat and csr electric waterpump

DopdBrd 04-25-2005 11:55 AM

how hard is it to put in a electric pump??? and also, is it really worth it??? how about driveability, i dont want one that will not be reliable and will go out on me. thanks guys.

oh, one more question, where can i get the painless wiring switch????

Rare96WS6 04-25-2005 08:32 PM

The water pump is very easy, even for someone who does not work on cars
all the time. There are on-line instructions on a few of the guy's sites on this board. Just search here for "electric water pump install instructions" or go to
Brett Franker's page. He has lots of neat how too guides on his site.
Driveability is excelent, since it keeps the car cooler in any temp. than the stock pump. I have had mine in for 3yrs now with no problem. Swapping the pump out also showed up on the dyno as 4rwhp/ 5rwtq. I dynoed the car pre and post although the cooling issue was the main reason for the swap.
I am not sure on the switch, since I had my CPU tuned for the fan temps. You could also do a search on this site for it.

Originally Posted by needals1
how hard is it to put in a electric pump??? and also, is it really worth it??? how about driveability, i dont want one that will not be reliable and will go out on me. thanks guys.

oh, one more question, where can i get the painless wiring switch????

DopdBrd 04-26-2005 08:06 PM

what brand of electric water pump would be a good one to go with??? thanks again

Rare96WS6 04-26-2005 08:38 PM

I have had 0 problems with the Mezziere unit. I have the normal pump, not the HD one.

dhdenney 04-26-2005 09:54 PM

I have stock radiator and stock water pump with a 160 stat and run about 165-170 constantly. Never fluctuates. Check your fans. It sounds to me as if one of the fans is bad. I had similar problems with overheating and discovered my left fan was not functioning. If fans are good, your cat might be clogged. I knew a girl that blew her motor up cuz her cat was clogged. I told her to cut the damn thing off and drive to the muffler shop but her dad just "wouldn't have it." So her motor blew and I said I told you so.

DopdBrd 04-28-2005 07:57 PM

the fans work properly. I checked both of the. As far as the cats go, the car has 103,000 miles on it and that may be the problem. i plan on getting some pacesetter longtubes and a custom catted y pipe, but that wont prolly be until the end of the summer. hopefully my motor wont blow up. thanks guys

-PEPE- 04-29-2005 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by needals1
Ok my car runs hot I think (around 210 driving intown, sometimes up to around 220-225). I went through and changed the antifreeze, put in a 160 thermo, and also put in some RedLine Water wetter. Well the first day it never got above 180, now it heats up again?? If i get my computer tuned will it solve it?? what else should i do??

think someone mentioned the fan switch mod, personally I didn't think that worked too great. I invested 160 bucks in a dual 1" core Griffin radiator which kept me below 180 all the time, especailly at the track, pass after pass.

It was not their direct fit which costs about 450 bucks like BeCool's, this was a universal Griffin with custom "tofit" dimensions, took some minor fab work with the top plastic radiator bracket cover and shopping Orielly's and Autozone for the right hoses, but was worth it in the end.