LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion

LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion (https://ls1tech.com/forums/)
-   LT1-LT4 Modifications (https://ls1tech.com/forums/lt1-lt4-modifications-31/)
-   -   what free mods can u do to a lt1 (https://ls1tech.com/forums/lt1-lt4-modifications/338041-what-free-mods-can-u-do-lt1.html)

1lt1wiz 06-16-2005 10:43 PM

what free mods can u do to a lt1

need help on free mods

Bow94z 06-16-2005 11:39 PM

1.descreen the mass air flow screen
2. Throttle body bypass (coolant lines)

Chris95Z 06-17-2005 12:09 AM

if its 95 or below you can eliminate the annoying skip shift.

HBHRacing 06-17-2005 12:27 AM

Originally Posted by Chris95Z
if its 95 or below you can eliminate the annoying skip shift.

you can do the same on a 96 and up as well.

Also, while not free some really cheep things are
160* thermo
Manual fan switch

1lt1wiz 06-17-2005 12:28 AM

what all can u do on the 94 z

monster7 06-17-2005 12:48 AM

gut the cats if you dont have to pass a sniffer

1lt1wiz 06-17-2005 01:09 AM

Originally Posted by monster7
gut the cats if you dont have to pass a sniffer

how good will that sound and do u gain anything

kyle91z28 06-17-2005 01:57 AM

if you can free up anything and make air flow better there will be gains..

BlackScreaminMachine 06-17-2005 04:00 AM

PLEASE!! DO NOT GUT THE CAT!!

Yes it is a mod you dont have to spend any money on. BUT I am telling you. Remove the CAT and replace it with a straight pipe. Not only will you not destroy your cat (whether or not you have emissions), the car will sound better.

How do you ask, is that possible. Even if you get every bit of crap out of there, its still a big expansion tube, air goes from being hot and compact, to expanding, cooling, THEN being forced to go back into a smaller space. That creates turbulance and that hurts when it comes to making power.

Just remove the cat, dont be lazy and put a straight pipe in.

00Z-28-LT1 06-17-2005 06:55 AM

any thing you can take out like back seats if you dont use them or spare tire (at your own risk) will remove weight which is good.

xtinctbird 06-17-2005 07:16 AM

DO NOT descreen your MAF it creates some serious tuning issiues

BOTTLEDZ 06-17-2005 07:20 AM

You can port the intake low cost mod and a real big improvment for the stock casting flaws.

Brett95z 06-17-2005 08:23 AM

Originally Posted by BOTTLEDZ
You can port the intake low cost mod and a real big improvment for the stock casting flaws.

Whats the point in porting the intake with unported heads? The flow will just hit the unported head and die.

1bottled93toenvy 06-17-2005 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by BlackScreaminMachine
PLEASE!! DO NOT GUT THE CAT!!

Yes it is a mod you dont have to spend any money on. BUT I am telling you. Remove the CAT and replace it with a straight pipe. Not only will you not destroy your cat (whether or not you have emissions), the car will sound better.

How do you ask, is that possible. Even if you get every bit of crap out of there, its still a big expansion tube, air goes from being hot and compact, to expanding, cooling, THEN being forced to go back into a smaller space. That creates turbulance and that hurts when it comes to making power.

Just remove the cat, dont be lazy and put a straight pipe in.

definately agree with that one...i took off my cat and put some 3 in pipe in there and it sounds great...along with my cutout and LT's......also some free mods to think about are..manual fan switch, take off ur front sway bar....(ull like that), spare tire take out, also i forget what year it is but theer is a year i think where if u have an auto it only goes down to 2nd and u can cut somethign inside and make it drop down farther....not tppo sure how to do it thouhg...that all just my .02

HBHRacing 06-17-2005 10:11 AM

lets clear up just a few things..

Cat gutting = BAD
MAF descreen = usually bad
Porting intake = no point.

BSM covered the cat gutting issue. But aside from the turbulence that it's makes it also opens up a lot of extra volume to fill. That’s bad and can hurt your low end.

MAF descreen is a potential issue. Most will say it's hurting them, others will say that they don't notice anything. However just because they do not notice anything doesn't means that bad things are not happening. There is a LARGE misconception to why that screen is there. The MAF detects the MASS of air entering the motor by taking a sample of the air as it passes. This gives the PCM information to provide correct fuel control. The sensor needs to see an accurate sample of the air. Since the air flow is often turbulent with many different eddies and currents they place a screen mesh in the flow. The Screen will help to turn the air flow more laminar (straight) for a few inches. This allows the MAF too read an accurate measure of the air. When you remove this you run a chance of reading turbulent air flow and leaning out the motor (not reading as much air as is actually entering the motor)

Porting intake: That’s a bad idea for a few reasons. First because on a stock motor it's totally un needed. You do NOT need extra plenum volume on a mostly stock motor. The stock intake is a very good piece for air flow and again, the extra volume is probably going to hurt you more then help. This is much like adding a larger Throttle body to a stock or mildly modded car.

BOTTLEDZ 06-17-2005 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by Brett95z
Whats the point in porting the intake with unported heads? The flow will just hit the unported head and die.

Umm..... I don't know maybe throttle response
OH i forgot that if you don't own long tubes around here you don't know shit :bash:

BlackScreaminMachine 06-17-2005 01:22 PM

Personally I have not had a issue with MAF descreen. BUT I was talking to Kenny at East Side Perf. in Wallingford, CT. They tune LS1's and he stated not to do it, because of the aft-formentioned tuning issues.

BUT on LT1's I have not had a issue. Bryan Herter at http://www.pcmforless.com states when I talked to him about my car, is as long as its a STOCK MAF (not a granatelli, or z06 etc etc) and you didnt increase the size of the housing, descreening will not hurt it, or effect tuning.

Also I did read in the recent issue of GMHTP they were tuning up a 100K+ mile 94 z28 and stated that sometimes the MAF sensor gets dirty and you should clean it with contact fluid, for electronics. I will be emailing Bryan Personally about this situation since I will be sending him a datamaster file for a new tune.

1lt1wiz 06-17-2005 02:23 PM

ac

what do u gain taking the ac off

HBHRacing 06-17-2005 02:24 PM

about 40 pounds off the car and a very hot drive in the summer. Unless it's a track car or the AC is bunk there is no point.

Brett95z 06-17-2005 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by BOTTLEDZ
Umm..... I don't know maybe throttle response
OH i forgot that if you don't own long tubes around here you don't know shit :bash:

Flow is only as strong as the biggest clog in the pipe. Whats the point of an intake that can suck in 300cfm of air, and heads that can only flow 190? Its gonna be choked off at the intake port on the head. Plus, its not a "free" mod. You have to take the intake off, which requires new gaskets etc.