LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Granatelli MAf worthit?

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2005, 11:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Granatelli MAf worthit?

i have been following camaro performers buildup of there 95 lt1..so far they have added catback,maf,and fipk...question is ..is the maf worth the 345?..if so..what kind of gains am i looking at..if its worth it ill go ahead and pick up my maf along with my fipk and t-stat at the same time..if not saved 345$
Old 06-28-2005, 12:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

keep your MAF 100% stock. I wouldn't install a Aftermarket MAF is they payed me to do so. There are far far far too many possibly harmfull interactions that can cause you nothing but trouble.
Old 06-28-2005, 12:25 PM
Launching!

i'd just yank that screen on maf.. then it's great the way it is... i may buy end sfor mine, just for looks. also, my pcm was programmed for my descreening.
Old 06-28-2005, 12:28 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 1970judge
i have been following camaro performers buildup of there 95 lt1..so far they have added catback,maf,and fipk...question is ..is the maf worth the 345?..if so..what kind of gains am i looking at..if its worth it ill go ahead and pick up my maf along with my fipk and t-stat at the same time..if not saved 345$
I have one in brand new condition I'll sell you for $160...I need the $...PM me if interested. I have a pic too.
Old 06-28-2005, 12:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Do not "yank" the screen. There is also NO possible way to "program" for a descreened MAF.
Old 06-28-2005, 12:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Cyborg
I have one in brand new condition I'll sell you for $160...I need the $...PM me if interested. I have a pic too.
where do you live?...and also..is it a good mod because i dont need my car fudging up over a maf!..
Old 06-28-2005, 01:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

IMO I wouldnt mess with the MAF. Doesnt seem worth the possible troubles for the arguable gains.
Old 06-28-2005, 02:42 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by HBHRacing
Do not "yank" the screen. There is also NO possible way to "program" for a descreened MAF.
You filled out the same sheet i did for my pcmforless tuning. Brian asks if the maf is descreened, so i figured there was a reason. And instead of yank, I should have said pull out nicely, being careful not to harm any part of the MAF... guess i didn't realize how technically accurate i needed to be. my bad

Last edited by outdooricon; 06-28-2005 at 02:48 PM.
Old 06-28-2005, 02:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

remove, yank, rip, take-out.... It's all the same. Before you go out rolling your eyes everywhere maybe you should use them to read some theory of fluid dynamics. Or if you understood the reactions that take place when you remove the screen you would undestand that just like I said, there is no way to "program" for the Descreen. Other then "minimal" flow increese most people will target a slightly more rich mixture since it's extremely common to suffer from a lean condition after words. Again, once you understand it's reason for being there, the rest will make sence. A tuner can't just say. "oh, well his MAF is descreened, I'll just change xx x x x to x x x x x and it will be perfect". But go ahead, ask why tuners recomend NOT changing the MAF and why they don't like to try to tune around a non stock MAF and see what happens. So as I said. You can not "tune" for the MAF descreen. But they wil try to adjust The tune to prevent damadge... If it was up to bryan, Ion, or any other tuner there would be no descreening or aftermarket MAF's. It would make life for them a lot easier.
Old 06-28-2005, 03:09 PM
Launching!

if it's so bad, why'd you descreen yours... and i was rolling my eyes because it seems like there would be better things to worry about then english semantics... like fluid dynamics
Old 06-28-2005, 03:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Because it was the first thing that I ever did, about 2 months after I got my car going off the readings of the books that TPIS sells. This was before I became an automotive tech and knew how the system worked and long before I started into the theory of fluid dynamics. I am in the process of trying to find my old acreen to put back in. I have been tracking a high RPM problem for about a year now. I am down to very few soultions left. One of the possible answers could be turbulence of the MAF air sampling caused by a lack of a screen.
Old 06-28-2005, 04:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

i see your point...we descreened a 96 v6 friend of mines..its his daily so we were jsut ****** around..it made it run kinda bad..so i guess im not goign to make teh swap..HBH made a pretty good point..
Old 06-28-2005, 04:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

This is a highly debated topic. Because of it I am writing a tech article for it that will give all of the information that I possibly can. Then it's up to everyone to deside for themselves what they want to do. However the main point that I will always make is the same. Is it really worth a "possible" gain of 5-6 HP when you have such a high potencial of gaining nothing and even hurting yourself....
Old 06-28-2005, 04:37 PM
Launching!

That's cool... I'm looking forward to reading it.