LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Spun Rod /Main Bearing?

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2005, 02:01 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spun Rod /Main Bearing?

Long story short - I accedentaly ran my engine low on oil, but it was only for a few seconds...now im getting a squeaking sound just like the accessory belt makes when you start the engne up cold. I cant figure out if the sound is just a bearing on the alternator or power steering because i couldnt get the belt off to hear the car run without it tonight. There are no knocking sounds when its being driven and the car exibits no odd behavior. When it was ran low on oil I filled it up with oil, ran it for about 30 minutes then drained all the oil and diddnt see any metal flakes on my magnetic drain plug or in the oil filter media. There was a small ammount of shavings on the magnet in my drain pan though, but I dont think it came out of the engine but rather a transmission i worked on a while back...the shavings were black in color and very sludge like. what do you guys think? We were also having some trouble getting the car to start, as if the starter diddnt have the power to turn it over. I found that the power cable to the starter was a bit loose so i cleaned all the terminals and torqued them down and now the car seems to start fine. I dont know if that could be related but I figured i should mention it anyway.
Old 11-24-2005, 10:53 AM
TECH Enthusiast

well i pulled the oil filter that was put on the car last week, i have metal shaving stew in there. looks like im looking at what my options are to fix this now...I've always wanted a 355 or 383..i do not look forward to dropping the motor out of the car though
Old 11-24-2005, 11:18 AM
9 Second Club

Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts

i was told it is very easy to do. I have never done it personaly though. I have always done older vehicles.
Old 11-25-2005, 12:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

up top....any body else have this go worng on their motor and have to deal with it?
Old 11-25-2005, 01:07 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

r u sure you spun a bearing? Last time I spun one I had a real good amount of cooper shavings and chunks. If you did, its not that hard to pull the motor from the bottom if you hava a place to do it. Its only a total of i think 16 bolts or so, (Thats droping the tranny with it.) I droped mine in about 2 hours the last time on a lift. Unhook the exaust, (ex the manifolds) Alt, wiring, brake lines from the ABS, of course all the hoses and such. The power steering reservoir needs to be disconnected from the iner fender and lay it on the side somewhere. What I did was after all that was disconnected, put a home made craddle under the trans and lifted the car up right off the K-member. We kinnda have it down to a science now.
Old 11-26-2005, 12:00 AM
TECH Enthusiast

yeah, enough metal to pretty much coat the filter and cover a magnet in my drain pan, i know its screwed. how many bots hold the kmember to the car besides the shock towers and the big bolts on the bottom of the k-member?
Old 11-26-2005, 12:53 AM
TECH Enthusiast

i've dealt with a spun main bearing before. not on my own engine, but a friend of mine. we spent a week doing a cam swap and a few other things. definitely the most problematic cam swap ever, and then 650 miles later there was metal everywhere.

not too fun. really there's a good chance you'll only have to get the crank machined and then use oversized bearings, but if my plan was stroker i'd take this time to do it.
Old 11-26-2005, 12:58 AM
12 Second Club

Yea about a month ago on the dyno. Pulled it out rebuilding now. Going all forged 355. I took it apart down to the heads on the motor mounts dropped the trans and pulled it from the top it was fun.
Old 11-26-2005, 01:03 AM
TECH Enthusiast

i've only pulled LT1s from the top, but as i swap from the totalled 94 to the new 95 in my driveway i'm definitley going out the bottom and then back in through the bottom. it's much simpler and i guess since i don't need to disassemble the motor at all it will be much better.
Old 11-26-2005, 04:28 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Bandit 1
yeah, enough metal to pretty much coat the filter and cover a magnet in my drain pan, i know its screwed. how many bots hold the kmember to the car besides the shock towers and the big bolts on the bottom of the k-member?

that sucks man,

you have the 8 shock tower bolts, then the 3 big botls on each side of the K-member. 6 total. Go slow its not that hard
Old 11-26-2005, 06:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by slowmofo
that sucks man,

you have the 8 shock tower bolts, then the 3 big botls on each side of the K-member. 6 total. Go slow its not that hard
good thats what i wanted to hear. I got up under the car earlier to unhook th 02 sensors so i could pull the wiring harness out of the way and thats how many bolts I thought I had to take out + the trans mount.

Quick Reply: Spun Rod /Main Bearing?