LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

New LT1 Owner-Any Suggestions Welcome

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2005, 03:11 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default New LT1 Owner-Any Suggestions Welcome

Well, actually haven't taken possesion of the car just yet. But it is mine. I am buying my parents 1996 Impala SS. All original car, and only 60,000 original miles on the entire car. I am new to the LT1 motor, the last project I had was an LS Based GMC Sierra Truck. It was the 5.3 motor and a crew cab that I got into high 13's. I'm hoping to do better with the Impy.

I haven't seen to my Impala's on this site, but hoping there are some things to learn about them here.
Old 12-14-2005, 03:19 PM
12 Second Club

You are getting one of the all time great muscle cars IMHO. Congrats on your purchase! As far as mods, 96Capricemgr is the "B-BODY GURU" on this site so, I will let him chime in Welcome!
Old 12-14-2005, 03:29 PM
TECH Veteran

Yeah, I've got a good idea of the type of mods I'm wanting to do, just haven't gotten down into any particulars just yet. It will be a never ending project I imagine, since I won't have to worry about this one being a daily driver. Really looking forward to tearing into it though.
Old 12-14-2005, 03:36 PM
TECH Apprentice

There are some nice dual exhaust systems available for the Impy's

First thing I'd do is remove the "home base" air silencer.
Old 12-14-2005, 03:59 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Chris 96 WS6
There are some nice dual exhaust systems available for the Impy's

First thing I'd do is remove the "home base" air silencer.
The $5 sewer pipe mod does wonders.

Visit http://www.impalassforum.com The site is down right now but it is a good source for info.
Old 12-14-2005, 04:09 PM
TECH Veteran

Oh yeah, the exhaust and intake are the first areas to tackle. Well besides any problem areas like ignition or just anything known to be weak on these cars and anything needing to be updated. Although with only 60,000 miles, shouldn't be too much to worry about. I am really planning on camming the car. Had one in my truck and loved it. Long Tubes will go in for sure along with a good exhaust system. Not sure what the stock size is, so I need to do a bit more research, but planning on using an x-pipe, still deciding whether I want to use cats or not, but electric cutouts will go in and going out through dual dynomax bullet race mufflers. Intake wise, not too sure. I had thought of going a ram air system, but am also thinking that I might eventually go a blower setup, so I'm not too sure. Gearing needs to be upgraded along with tranny and torque converter. It will have the full host of bolt-ons too. Like I said, a never ending work-in-progress.

Thanks for the link to impalassforum. I have been lurking around there too, trying to soak up all the knowledge I can.
Old 12-14-2005, 04:27 PM
On The Tree

A not so well known fact is the iron heads flow alot better than the f-bod aluminum LT1 heads. A good cam will make a huge difference since the stocker is very mild.
Old 12-14-2005, 08:02 PM
TECH Veteran

I was hoping to learn more about the heads. I had heard that the iron heads flow better, but didn't know how much truth there was to that.
Old 12-14-2005, 11:23 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by L33Z71
I was hoping to learn more about the heads. I had heard that the iron heads flow better, but didn't know how much truth there was to that.

Stock for stock, the Iron LT1 heads flow about 20% more than the aluminum LT1 heads at 0.5 inches lift (215 CFM versus 230 CFM on average).
Old 12-15-2005, 05:43 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://www.exoticperformanceplus.com...tCar.php?car=7

Check out our '95 Formula with an ATI ProCharger above. Bob
Old 12-15-2005, 09:38 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by tekprodave
A not so well known fact is the iron heads flow alot better than the f-bod aluminum LT1 heads. A good cam will make a huge difference since the stocker is very mild.
Actually they flow only a tad better than the aluminum heads. IMO not better enough to be worth the extra weight penalty or the reduced timing you have to run to keep from detonating (iron heads hold more heat).

When the time comes I wouldn't hesitate swapping to a set of ported aluminum castings.
Old 12-16-2005, 02:25 AM
On The Tree

its true until you get into the heat soak issues. that kills them.
Old 12-16-2005, 11:06 AM
On The Tree

Well, actually haven't taken possesion of the car just yet. But it is mine. I am buying my parents 1996 Impala SS. All original car, and only 60,000 original miles on the entire car. I am new to the LT1 motor, the last project I had was an LS Based GMC Sierra Truck. It was the 5.3 motor and a crew cab that I got into high 13's. I'm hoping to do better with the Impy.

I haven't seen to my Impala's on this site, but hoping there are some things to learn about them here.
Congrats on your purchase! Sounds like a sweet ride, I love those year model Impalas!
Old 12-16-2005, 03:41 PM
TECH Veteran

Yeah, I haven't really been responding on here much, just kinda taking it all in ya know. I am trying to learn as much about the Impala and the LT1 before I actually get the car. I am supposed to get it in a few months when I close on my house. I absolutely will not bring it to the apartment where I live now. To many thugs like those Impy's.

On another note, I had seen at Barnes and Nobles a while back a book about building the LS1/LS6. Anyone seen any good info like this on the LT1/LT4? Or is it even worth it?