LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion

LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion (https://ls1tech.com/forums/)
-   LT1-LT4 Modifications (https://ls1tech.com/forums/lt1-lt4-modifications-31/)
-   -   Just tell me I'm making a huge mistake. (https://ls1tech.com/forums/lt1-lt4-modifications/473072-just-tell-me-im-making-huge-mistake.html)

LS1 Eddie 03-20-2006 06:25 PM

Just tell me I'm making a huge mistake.

Right now, I'm putting together a really nice AI Heads/Cam package, and I even decieded to further my project by having the bottom end refreshed, bored 30 over and all the fun stuff. My cam is going to be a 224/230 @ 112LSA. Everything in the valvetrain will be completly new. One thing I forgot, I don't have a converter figured into all this, and even worse I defenatly don't have it figured into my budget. :cry: Will I be able to get by using the stock converter for a little while? Is it really going to be that bad? Most people I say it's not going to be to it's full potential and it's not going to run well at all. Anyone wanna chime in? I wish I had a 6 speed. :(

IllusionalTA 03-20-2006 06:29 PM

You'll be fine.. you might have some surge due to the tightness of the stocker.. but i think you'll be good till you can afford a new verter.. I don't see why the car would run worse cause of a converter though?

matt94z 03-20-2006 06:29 PM

With that small of a cam, you will be okay, just not up to your full ET potential. When you get one go at least 32-3800.

LS1 Eddie 03-20-2006 06:34 PM

I was going to go with a Vig2800 eventually. When you say it will surge, what exactly does that mean?

-PEPE- 03-20-2006 06:48 PM

Like Illusion said, you'll be fine, what rpm does your cam start making power & what rpm do you launch at now?

As for "not having it figured into your budget"...dude :hail: Ramen Noodles you don't really need a spoon or fork :chug:

Ed Wright 03-20-2006 08:31 PM

Your biggest issue wil be idling in gear with the stock converter.

Camaroholic 03-20-2006 08:41 PM

Yup.

Talk to some local transmission shops. Some of them may sell a restalled stock torque converter in the $175 range (~2400 stall). I had one I picked up for $180, I actually enjoyed it. It still felt "tight" when driving, but was loose enough to make driving with the hotcam a breeze.

Be warned that if you get a converter that's "looser" than ~3200, you may have problems with the PCM and shifting. I know Ed has a fix for that ;) but I don't. It's in the PCM program. I'm about to send my Yank ST3500 back and getting it restalled, asking them to get it as tight as possible for that design (hopefully down to ~3000 or so). I didn't like it at 3500, and ran in to PCM issues.

1SlowFormula 03-21-2006 07:06 PM

Originally Posted by Camaroholic
Yup.

Talk to some local transmission shops. Some of them may sell a restalled stock torque converter in the $175 range (~2400 stall). I had one I picked up for $180, I actually enjoyed it. It still felt "tight" when driving, but was loose enough to make driving with the hotcam a breeze.

Be warned that if you get a converter that's "looser" than ~3200, you may have problems with the PCM and shifting. I know Ed has a fix for that ;) but I don't. It's in the PCM program. I'm about to send my Yank ST3500 back and getting it restalled, asking them to get it as tight as possible for that design (hopefully down to ~3000 or so). I didn't like it at 3500, and ran in to PCM issues.

Bryan at PCM4Less has a fix for this also, I ran into those problems when I put my 3500 stall in, and he fixed it right up for me...