LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Broken Valve Spring

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2006, 09:26 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Broken Valve Spring

Pulled my valve covers today because I developed a miss and suspected a valve train problem.

Sure enough I have a broken valve spring. Good news is it appears it's a clean break (no pieces), the rocker is OK, the pushrod looks good, and the valve didn't fall in the cylinder.

Now the dilemma is do I just replace the spring or should I pull the head? I really don't want to pull the heads unless I absolutely have to. Any suggestions?

Here are a couple pics

http://www.regionofdoomforum.com/Upl...SS/spring1.jpg

http://www.regionofdoomforum.com/Upl...SS/spring2.jpg
Old 05-03-2006, 06:05 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I put a set of the LT-4 springs in my Z-28 last winter. All I did was get the air hose adapter that screws in the spark plug hole. It works well, except that #2 cylinder's plug is a bear to get in and out, and the airhose and adapter is even a little trickier, but it looks like that you're on the left bank, so that makes it a lot easier.

(this assumes that you have access to an air compressor, of course)
Old 05-03-2006, 04:49 PM
Launching!

hey man wut kinda roller rockers are those and do you do the springs when u do those rockers, they are what came with my car and i was wandering about them today???
Old 05-03-2006, 05:43 PM
On The Tree

If those are stock springs its no surprise they broke. W/ rr's you need at leaste LT4 springs.
Old 05-03-2006, 10:13 PM
Teching In

Thanks for the advice. And umm they are not stock springs, notice there are two of them
Old 05-04-2006, 07:18 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

All you need to do is put that cylinder at TDC on the compression stroke, and put a air adapter in the spark plug hole. It hooks to a regular air hose on a compressor or air bottle. The air pressure keeps the valves up while you do the spring change. Easy stuff. The air adapter is like $12 at any major auto parts store.

Jim

Quick Reply: Broken Valve Spring