LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Break lights wont turn on!

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2006, 11:16 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Break lights wont turn on!

My brake lights stoped coming on so i figured the brake switch i changed it when i hooked my battery up they came on but stayed on and when i tried to adjust it they went off and stayed off so i took the switch out and hit the button myself and they would not turn on only the third brake light on the spoiler would come on any suggestions and also why is there another smaller switch above that bottom one????
Old 07-11-2006, 11:33 AM
TECH Resident

um.... fuse maybe? not sure about that one
Old 07-11-2006, 11:48 AM
TECH Apprentice

Do the turn signals/hazards work properly? How about the 'parking' lights?

Looking at the wiring diagrams, it appears that the "third brake light" is wired completely separate of the taillights. That might explain why they are behaving differently.

The brake switch should have a light blue wire & a yellow wire. The yellow goes to the third brake light. The blue wire feeds into the turn/hazard switch assembly, before finally going back to the taillights (yellow for left rear taillight, dark green for right rear taillight).

Do you have a volt meter? I'd personally start by testing for power on the yellow/green wires at the rear taillights, make sure there is no corrosion in the bulb sockets, and make sure the ground is good. However, how you proceed from here will ultimately depend on how the lights are working outside of the brake switch.

I've never personally messed with the brake switch, so that's about all I can offer. I suppose it's always possible that the 'new' switch is faulty as well, so don't rule that completely out just yet.
Old 07-11-2006, 12:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

My left headlight just went out the other day, and half of my rear left tail light went out with it, I'm thinking a fuse or something. Not sure.
Old 07-11-2006, 12:57 PM
On The Tree

Yea my turnsignals and hazards dont work either Thanks alex i shall do that!!!