LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Bad valve springs/old opti?

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2006, 11:17 AM
JUICED96Z

Default Bad valve springs/old opti?

Got a 96Z with right at 119k miles on it. Motor it tght and does not leak or burn oil.
Put some new TR-6's in it a few weeks back and it woke the car up a little more since I have about 7k miles on the old ones. From a roll say 40mph the car does not allways "scream" it still goes but not like it does from a dead stop. Sometimes it does sometimes it does not. Just depends.
Have a new Racetronix fuel pump in it. Opti LOOKS original. I know they say to replace the valve springs at 100k or so and I am fairly hard on my car since I only get it out 3-4 times a month.
Thinking it might need a new set of springs, an ACCEl opti to go with some RR's and the Long tubes I am wanting to get soon.

Opinions?
Old 07-11-2006, 11:24 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

40 mph roll is a real bad spot for a A4, its right around the area where its to fast to drop down, but slow enough the motors not into its power band. Might not be anything wrong with the car. Stall, and gears would wake it up more from a roll, and make it fun as hell from a stop.
Old 07-11-2006, 11:28 AM
JUICED96Z

Originally Posted by slowmofo
40 mph roll is a real bad spot for a A4, its right around the area where its to fast to drop down, but slow enough the motors not into its power band. Might not be anything wrong with the car. Stall, and gears would wake it up more from a roll, and make it fun as hell from a stop.
Well sometimes its from around 35 but your right, thats still close to the shift point.
Its got 3.42's been thinking about a stall instead of the opti and springs for now.
Old 07-11-2006, 11:32 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JUICED96Z
Well sometimes its from around 35 but your right, thats still close to the shift point.
Its got 3.42's been thinking about a stall instead of the opti and springs for now.

I had 117K of very very hard miles on my stock springs, and they were in good shape when I tore the motor down, if that makes you feel any better.
Old 07-11-2006, 12:09 PM
JUICED96Z

Originally Posted by slowmofo
I had 117K of very very hard miles on my stock springs, and they were in good shape when I tore the motor down, if that makes you feel any better.
Ok, I will just go with a stall, thanks!