LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

10 amp ignition fuse popping (dead in the water)

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2006, 11:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy 10 amp ignition fuse popping (dead in the water)

Today I was driving around town, car's running great all week since I recently got it tuned by Ellis Groo (aka Twofast4lv on forums).

Anyway, I was sitting at a stop light, light turns green I take off normally. The clutch just starts to engage and then the car lurches forward and dies. Would not turn over, cranks just fine. Couldn't get anything more than sputtering out of it at best.

Got towed home, looked in the fuse box in the engine compartment and the ignition fuse was popped. I replaced it and the car started up just fine. I took it out for a spin, hoping that it was just a freak thing that happened, got about 5 miles away from home and it happened again.

I brought a handful of 10A fuses and swapped one out. Car starts fine, but as soon as I put it under a load (i.e. taking off from a stop) it pops the fuse again. I replaced the fuse several times, then gave up and got towed home again.

Background: I have not changed anything in the ignition system. I did put a stock MAF back in, in place of the Granatelli I had since I got the car tuned. I thought maybe it could be the coil, but in my experience with coils they either work or they don't work, no in between. It's currently running the stock coil. I unhooked the MSD 6AL box after the first few fuses popped and that was no help.

The only other item I can think of that I have added to the ignition system was when I installed an electric water pump I installed a relay harness and hooked up the reference power wire off of the little pink wire in that short harness that runs to the coil. I installed the water pump over 2 years ago so I think if that was a problem it would have showed up a long time ago.

Anyone else ever run into this problem? I had my Auto X-ray scanner hooked up to the car for this last ride and didn't get any codes to start with, so I'm at a loss currently. I will start looking in the schematic but I'm still clueless where to really start. I was half tempted to just hard wire the 10A fuse slot together just to get me home, but then I didn't feel like burning the car to the ground just yet. I also don't think the tuning could have caused this because if there was a problem with the tuning I would have seen it as soon as I first started the car up.

Any and all help GREATLY appreciated!
Old 08-02-2006, 03:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So far I've changed out the Ignition Control Module. I've shaken everything down I can get my hands on. Haven't found any problems, and started to drive the car around a bit to work, etc. So far so good, no fuses have popped.

Either the ICM fixed it, or my jostling of the wires made it go away.... *crosses fingers*