LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

LT1 and Accusump

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2006, 10:57 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default LT1 and Accusump

I spun a bearing at the road course and am working on fitting an Accusump so this doesn't happen again and have a couple-three questions. The car is a '96 B-Body...an Impala SS with an LT1.

1. What is the oil pressure range, idle to redline, for a stock LT1?
2. Where is a suitable location to connect the Accusump?
3. Can you describe the oil system flow in the LT1?

I am presuming the Accusump should not force oil only against the pump, or just squirt into the pan. It should be plumbed into the engine to create oil pressure in the block.

As part of the stock oil system, the Impala has an oil cooler with lines that run from the oil filter mount to the cooler on the left side of the RAD. One line to the top, and one to the bottom of the cooler. Perhaps one of these lines could be tapped into for the plumbing? I am guessing oil flows from the engine to the top of the oil cooler, out the bottom and back to the engine.

If the "return" line dumps into the pan, this would probably not be suitable. If the entire cooler system is under pressure, this should work and would probably be the easiest place to install.

Or, on the outside edge of the oil filter mount is what looks like a threaded plug with a square hole to drive the plug. Could I use this port? I don't know how the oil flows in the LT1 system.

Thanks,

Last edited by Builder; 07-12-2006 at 12:17 PM. Reason: More Info
Old 07-12-2006, 11:51 AM
Launching!

To the best of my knowledge I believe that only coolant flows through these lines. It removes the heat from the oil via the adapter itself and returns the heated coolant to the cooling system.
Old 07-12-2006, 11:57 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by ToxicTA
To the best of my knowledge I believe that only coolant flows through these lines. It removes the heat from the oil via the adapter itself and returns the heated coolant to the cooling system.
I am pretty sure it was oil that came out of those lines when I pulled the engine.
Old 07-12-2006, 12:11 PM
TECH Resident

no... coolant should be flowing through those lines... im curious to this answer as well.. i have thought about one in the past...
Old 07-12-2006, 02:05 PM
TECH Addict

I think you F-body guys have coolant running through those lines. I'd be willing to bet B-car oil coolers run oil through the lines.
Old 07-12-2006, 02:20 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by buffman
I think you F-body guys have coolant running through those lines. I'd be willing to bet B-car oil coolers run oil through the lines.
Yes, I believe that is the case.

Okay, now that we've figured that little difference out...maybe the F-body is not similar enough to draw experience from. Maybe that pipe fitting on the side of the oil filter housing would pour out coolant on an F-body? ...if it's even there on an F-body...

Well, any feedback is appreciated...

Thanks,
Old 07-12-2006, 02:50 PM
TECH Resident

i will check the block diagrams for you and see if there is a good feed line that flows right to the bearings that it can be hooked up to .... you want to find a location that flows right to the main and cam bearings.... i have a couple of service manuals so i will look and see if i can find a diagram for ya...
Old 07-12-2006, 03:49 PM
TECH Resident

http://home.ptd.net/~chrispav/transam6lightsmods.html

Maybe that will give you some ideas (for mounting and such?) I know its not the same...
Old 07-12-2006, 06:54 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by harvickgm
i will check the block diagrams for you and see if there is a good feed line that flows right to the bearings that it can be hooked up to .... you want to find a location that flows right to the main and cam bearings.... i have a couple of service manuals so i will look and see if i can find a diagram for ya...
Thanks! If you turn something up, that would be great. I found another Impala owner that went into a port in the block just above the oil filter casting. The flashing circle is where I was planning on going. The orange line (to the left) is where the other fella put his.

Old 07-12-2006, 06:56 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Charging TA
http://home.ptd.net/~chrispav/transam6lightsmods.html

Maybe that will give you some ideas (for mounting and such?) I know its not the same...
Good stuff there. That adapter is available from Canton/Accusump and may be the way to go, if I can't plumb directly into the oil galley. Thanks!
Old 07-12-2006, 09:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Builder
I spun a bearing at the road course and am working on fitting an Accusump so this doesn't happen again and have a couple-three questions. The car is a '96 B-Body...an Impala SS with an LT1.

Thanks,
An Impy on a road course? You are my kinda guy!

What road course do you run on? Any trouble getting it "whoad down" as the Cup guys say. Well, perhaps Montoya won't say it that way.

I think the Accusump is a good idea. Are you running the stock pan or something like a Canton road race pan? I've been watching a road race LT1 build up recently with that pan. It's for an F-bod, however.
Old 07-12-2006, 09:55 PM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I would talk to Karl(Scott and Matt know who I mean) about the Stef's pan and Titan pump. Could get higher sump capacity and steadier flow, believe that pump also limits flow to a reasonable level which would have helped you avoid what happened.
Old 07-12-2006, 11:32 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Old SStroker
An Impy on a road course? You are my kinda guy!

What road course do you run on? Any trouble getting it "whoad down" as the Cup guys say. Well, perhaps Montoya won't say it that way.

I think the Accusump is a good idea. Are you running the stock pan or something like a Canton road race pan? I've been watching a road race LT1 build up recently with that pan. It's for an F-bod, however.
Ha-ha! Don't get me started... Yes, an Impy with all of the stock interior and trim. She's 4,400 lbs. Yes, she's two tons of fun!

I go through almost a full set of front brake pads in a day, but you would be amazed at how well she gets whoad. The 285/40-17 Kumho ECSTA MX tires really help, too. Montoya who?

Two-ton-Tilley was out-braking many of the lighter vehicles going into the first big turn of the front straight...which is actually #4 at about 95-100 mph down to about 40 mph. I have a home-court advantage on the front straight esses, though, in being an instructor at Reno-Fernley Raceway. We have a big piece of asphalt...over 4 miles of road course to play with there.

The big car makes laps at about the same total pace as a Miata (sorry to say). The Miata picks up about 0.5 seconds through the tight turns and the Impy picks up about 1.0 on the straights. Maybe she'll get a 355 forged solid-roller before too long...now that I have a block to play with.

Going to use the stock pan and pump. I was speaking with Kurt at W2W about the 3-qt. Accusump and he said, in testing, it delivered about 9 seconds of oil pressure. If the Impy is in a high-G turn for 9 seconds, and needing that much oil, please turn me over 'cause I probably just flipped on the skidpad.

Inerested in the build you are watching. Is it on-line?
Old 07-13-2006, 12:12 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 96capricemgr
I would talk to Karl(Scott and Matt know who I mean) about the Stef's pan and Titan pump. Could get higher sump capacity and steadier flow, believe that pump also limits flow to a reasonable level which would have helped you avoid what happened.
Hmmm...can you smell the oil burning? I am thinking, but I don't know who Karl is.

As much as I love my big, beautiful '96 Impala SS, I am in the process of building a serious track car which is also street-legal...a red Ultima GTR (see sig and Avitar). That is where I have been spending the "fun money" budget. That's also why it's taking so long! The Impy will always be in my garage, though, and I will keep her "track ready".

Please forward Karl's contact info. I will be looking into options for the rebuild.
Old 07-13-2006, 12:15 AM
TECH Resident

i was going to get one... but really just need to change my oil pan.. i take my TA to the drag strip and at the end or even under heavy braking... i loose pressure fast.. cuz it needs some trap doors in the pan to keep all the oil from shifting forward...

im still at work so i havent had a chance to get to my manual but will tomorrow and try to get back with you asap... im curious to know now...
Old 07-13-2006, 09:18 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by harvickgm
i was going to get one... but really just need to change my oil pan.. i take my TA to the drag strip and at the end or even under heavy braking... i loose pressure fast.. cuz it needs some trap doors in the pan to keep all the oil from shifting forward...

im still at work so i havent had a chance to get to my manual but will tomorrow and try to get back with you asap... im curious to know now...
Thanks, I think I have it figured out now. Found another crazy Impala road-course lover who has installed the Accusump. There is a plug in the block just above the oil filter casting that goes directly into the galley. Pan is a good idea, too. I like the added benefit of a pre-oiler at start-up with the Accusump.

- -
Old 07-13-2006, 11:14 PM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

http://impalassforum.com/noncgi/ulti...;f=18;t=001331
Here is a thread on the pan and he can fill you in more on the pump. This guy is a legend in the b-body community and has now begun offering shortblocks and is offering a lot of parts we had a hard time getting setup for our big pigs. Both of his b-bodies run 10s one has done so NA. Drag racing may not be your thing but I am sure you can still appreciate what an accomplishment that is.
Old 07-14-2006, 12:30 AM
TECH Resident

yep... i was just about to post up that same hole to tap into.... thats good... cuz now i know where to look into hooking mine up... and it does save engine life by alot... for the pre luber before engine start up.... good thread....
Old 07-14-2006, 02:47 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 96capricemgr
Here is a thread on the pan and he can fill you in more on the pump. This guy is a legend in the b-body community...
Oh, yes. I have read about Karl. It's all coming back now. I didn't know about his pans, though. Thanks for the link. I will be checking with him when I am ready to fit the pan. Wow, that will be a good moment!

Quick Reply: LT1 and Accusump