LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

LT-1 in a street rod, hot cam worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2006, 07:46 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default LT-1 in a street rod, hot cam worth it?

Hey, all,

Engine is a '95 Caprice with the original 4L60E tranny. I'm going to eliminate all the smog crap. I've got Patriot 8019 block hugger headers, and am not planning for any major mods, but before I get the PCM tuned, I'm wondering whether upgrading the cam would be satisfying. I've read pages of cam threads here and I can see there are strong opinions, but I haven't found many discussions for a strictly street driven ride. It's going in a '48 Chevy Aerosedan, fwiw. Rear end is allegedly out of a Camaro but I don't even know the current ratio. What I want is something satisfying to poke the throttle on, but with reasonable mileage for the long hauls (that's why I chose the LT-1 over a more traditional sbc). Got the engine/tranny off of ebay and it's allegedly got only 35K on it (knock wood). I note that Summit is selling the LT-4 Hot Cam kit for $540 and am wondering whether it's worth it, for my intended use. Until final assembly access to the front of the engine is going to be v. convenient. Afterwords, not so. BTW, do I have to drop the pan to remove the front cover? Links to how-to's always appreciated (shbox already discovered)...

Again, I'm looking for a satisfying street machine, and am hoping to recover some of the lost horsepower Chevy built into the B-body version of this classic motor. (I might consider some bolt-ons, but it strikes me most don't have the bang for the buck that the Hot Cam does. Dissenting opinions welcome...)

Best -- Gary
Old 07-19-2006, 11:02 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

I'm happy with mine it is very streetable and reliable so far. There are bigger but for what I do it is fine. Gas mileage is also fairly reasonable. about 20 on the highway with 3:42's an auto and stock converter. It makes good power pulls hard and has a nice sound to it. Plus the general designed it so it has their r&d in it. Even if by most standards of people here it is an old cam grind. my .02
Old 07-20-2006, 04:00 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Yes, the Kit is worth every Dollar, everything you need is there and its priced pretty will. the power it makes is good as well, maybe not the best cam ever, but hey, you are only paying 540$ for a full kit.

knowing this forum, you will see many who will post that the Hot cam is an Old grind or Old technology, and you are better off with a Custom cam, or a bigger Cam, but as always been said, to each his own.

Good luck with the project, and keep us posted.
Old 07-20-2006, 02:58 PM
Launching!

that sounds like a cool project!